Hostage | Teen Ink

Hostage

May 1, 2009
By heena patel BRONZE, Fortmill, South Carolina
heena patel BRONZE, Fortmill, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Lorrie, hurry up you’re going to be late for school.” My mum yelled.
“Coming!” I yelled back.
“You know if you could have accepted the offer, you wouldn’t have to travel to the university Lorrie.”My mum reminded me.
“We’re not going to have the conversation again mum…” I answered.

There was something different with today; I just couldn’t put my finger on it. I know something’s off. As usual I arrived in my English class 5 minutes early. I looked around, everyone seemed fine. The weather was great but I just couldn’t understand what I was feeling. It was as if my gut is telling me something nasty’s going to happen.

After lunch was my biology class with Ms. Bryne. She introduced a new student, her name was Emma Moore. 10 minutes after something happened.

“Oh my God! What’s happening with Ms.Bryne?”One classmate shouted.

Automatically I raced to the front of the room to help the teacher; she was having a seizure so necessary first aid had to be done. I looked for a ruler and a handkerchief to put in her mouth after I did this I heard somebody shout. “Everybody stay where you are. My name is Jasvendir Singh and all of you are my hostage! We will stay here until I say so. UNDERSTAND!”

As I was about to reposition Ms.Bryne, I felt a gun nudge behind me. I turned to see who it was. It was the new student, Emma.
“Move! Stay with the rest of them.” She pointed towards the class, but I hesitated. “What about Ms. Bryne?”
“Do you want to die?” she replied.

I couldn’t do anything but obey what she said. When I sat on my chair Ms.Bryne suddenly rose and talked to them.

“Great acting there Bryne. You almost had me there.” Jasvendir laughs.

“You said you needed a distraction so I gave you one,” she turned to face me. “That was very heroic of you Ms. Baites, thank you. Anyway, class please cooperate, I don’t want to shoot anyone today. We just need to get someone’s attention.” and turned back to face the other two.

3 minutes later, 5 other guys came in with guns.
“I knew I should have skipped class today.” A guy beside me said.
“Just relax ok. I’m sure they’ll let us go,” I said. “I hope.”
I was about to search my pocket for my mobile phone when I remembered it was on my bed when I left for school.
“Great! Now how on earth am I going to call someone about the SITUATION that I am in right now?” I told myself.
“Ok everyone, can you please empty your bags. After which please pass them to the front.” She waited for everyone to do as she instructed.
“You! Get the bags and place them here.” Emma ordered.
As I emptied my pockets I placed my hearing aid into my ear and wore my glasses.
“In the name of the father and the son of the holy spirit.” I muttered to myself.
“That’s a good idea, we should pray! Maybe God could come down and save us.” David sarcastically said.
As I was about to turn to give him an annoyed look, a voice in my hearing aid replied “AMEN!” I didn’t have to say much to give him a hint of what was happening.
“Bryne, we have them.” Jasvendir announced to Ms. Bryne.
“Good. I’m glad we got their attention.” She placed the phone on loud speaker.
“This is captain Arnold Castro. Is everyone alright?”The captain asked Bryne.
“You don’t have to worry about them captain, they’re fine. All you have to do is concentrate on our demands. I will call back again after two hours for the details.” Bryne said. Then the line went dead.

“Um… Captain, I think you need to see this.” The deputy pointed to TV.
“Ok… ladies and gentlemen we have a news flash; Laura Dew is on the scene. Thank you Sara, as we speak the students of Havana University have been held captive by militant men for over two hours now and as you can see in your TV this has been the situation inside their classroom. Captain Castro has been communicating with the men inside for their demands. Right now we do not know who these people are and what they want. This has been Laura Dew reporting to you live.”
“How the hell did they get that! Get me…” captain Castro was cut off as the phone rang.
“As you can see captain everyone is doing well. Now, captain don’t do anything stupid as you saw from the footage of the reporter we have one student wear a vest that is full of explosives; one wrong move from your people and KABOOM. Got that captain?” Bryne informed.
“I don’t think there is a need for anyone to die. Just tell me what you want and I’ll do what I can to give it to you.” Captain Castro negotiated.
“Our demand is simple captain. I just want the Mayor that’s all…” the line went dead again.
“Oh my god! Lorrie are you ok. Is anyone hurt?” Mark asked on the other line.
“Everything’s ok Mark. I need back up and fast. While you’re calling for back up try to check in our database for the people in front, two women and a man.” I whispered back.
The girl beside me glanced and gave me a scared confused look. I asked if she was ok.

"Who the hell is Mark and why re you talking to yourself." She said.

"Nobody, I was just talking to myself. It helps me clear my head. You should try it." I lied.


"Um... Sir the Mayor's here. He saw everything on the news." a deputy informed Castro.

"Captain my son is inside, do everything you can to get him out." the Mayor pleaded.

Castro told the Mayor they needed to talk in private.

"Mayor, is there anyone you know who may hold a grudge against you?” Castro asked.

"Why do you ask me this captain, I don't think that has anything to do with the situation. Clearly these people are terrorists who only want money and chaos.” the Mayor said with fear in his eyes.

"I don't think that's what they want sir. They specifically asked for you..."Castro replied.


"Lorrie, listen carefully, the people you're dealing with are the heads of a secret society. They are your modern day vigilantes; the fun part is if the person who hired them turns bad they will make him pay. I'm guessing someone with you hired them. We just don't know who it is yet." Mark informed.

"I'm going to cross reference everyone with a politician or somebody who is rich enough to pay them." I said as I looked at my classmates one by one.



"The Mayor pleases..." Bryne said.

"This is the Mayor."

"Good! I'm sure you know who I am... I'm going skip the introduction and go straight to my point. I heard that you've been traveling a lot with your business friends and you were generous enough to shoulder the expenses. As far as I know you can't afford that amount of money..." Byrne trailed off.

"I don't know what you're talking about! That’s non-sense.” the Mayor angrily replied.

"But on the contrary, a reliable source tells me that these business friends of yours are part of an underground syndicate and they have been helpful to you during your campaign period. Anyway, enough of that. we're here because we want to give this town a favor by eliminating you... you will come with us and all of this will end but if you don't then we'll be forced to take matters in our own hands... starting with your son." Bryne said.

"No! Don’t touch my son hello hello." the Mayor repeatedly said.



"Ok... Lorrie, I crossed referenced everyone." Mark started to say.

"I know Daniel Waters, Mayor Ford Waters’s son." I added to what he was about to say.

"You’re good... “Mark praised.

"I heard Bryne talking to Waters." I told him.

"I don't feel so good. I think I need to go to the ladies room." Maggie informed everyone.

I automatically stood and said, "Ms. Bryne Maggie needs to go to the ladies room. I think she's going to vomit." Bryne looked up and then signaled one their men to accompany her.

"You’re going to come with me to the restroom? You’re a guy!" Maggie protested.

"Can I accompany her Ms.Bryne? Please?" I suggested.

Emma made a face and was about to object to my suggestion but "fine accompany her but make sure you two won't do anything stupid."Bryne said.

Maggie and I were escorted by an armed guy to the ladies room. As we entered the room, Maggie rushed to the sink and vomited. I went to her side and patted her on the back.

"Here,” I handed her a paper towel." I need you to keep quiet, ok? And stay here." I instructed Maggie.

I went out and hit his nape which knocked him out in just seconds. I dragged the guy inside the ladies room.

"What the hell are you doing Lorrie! You’re going to get us killed." Maggie said with a panicked voice.

"Relax! I know what I'm doing just keep quiet ok. I'll get us out of here.

I took a deep breath. "Mark where either hell is back up!” I said.

"Relax Lorrie, they're on their way." Mark replied.

"They better be." I snapped.

Maggie and I looked for something to tie the hands and legs of the guy with and Maggie came up with a great idea.

"You know, we can take off his clothes that way he won't be able to inform the others right away that we're missing.” Maggie suggested.

"That’s a brilliant idea Maggie; it will buy us some time. Ok, toss his pants into the toilet." I said.” we have to move fast. I'm sure their wondering what happened to us. Just keep close ok.” told Maggie.

We were able to get out of the building, "Maggie see those police cars?” I pointed to the east direction.

"I know, we'll run towards them. Right?" Maggie added.

"Right! Ok, at the count of three I need you to run towards them." I instucted her.

"Wait. What about you?” Maggie asked.

"I'll be right behind you." I lied.

Maggie ran towards the cops and was safe now. My next step was to go back inside.

I ripped my clothes and tossed my hair a bit. I scratched my arm, that part I kind of got overboard. As I slammed the door the show started, "please help me! That guy that guy!" then I started crying. Ms. Bryne came up to me and led me to a chair.

"What happened? And where's Maggie?"

"I don't know where Maggie is. We went to the ladies room and after I washed my hands, the guy who was with us grabbed me and..."I looked at myself, praying that they would by my story.

"My goodness, you poor thing. Where is he?" Bryne asked.

"I don't know. Maggie hit him one the head and we both ran..." again I lied.

Bryne took one of his men to look for the other guy.

"Wow, I swear you could get an Oscar for that performance. Back up is in the vicinity and is 5 minutes away from where you are." Mark informed.

"What’s the plan?" I asked.

"Simple, we'll create a distraction from the Westside of the room that way we can enter through the back door." Mark replied.

"That’s all you guys came up with?” I mocked.

"The truth is, that's my plan. I don't know with the others. : Mark confessed.

"Great! God help us then.” I answered sounding annoyed.

Then Emma instructed us that they are going to transfer us to another room then BANG! BANG! Everyone ducked and I grabbed the opportunity to snatch a gun from Emma. As she kicked me I landed on my back and hear someone yell "CATFIGHT!" and continued to get the gun. I hit her on the nose then she shouted, "You broke my nose!" I ignored her whining as I pointed the gun at her.

“Don’t move a muscle. You know I almost believed your story but Ascender had a feeling that you were lying so I thought of coming back." Bryne said as she pointed the gun at me.

A minute later the was surrounded by the operatives. Bryne grabbed me, "don't shoot or she dies. Toss you weapons." Bryne instructed everyone.

As she was backing up I tripped her foot and we both fell. We wrestled for the gun. BANG! We both froze. Our operatives took the chances to grab Bryne.

"Lorrie! Is everyone ok? Lorrie! Speak to me." Mark shouted on the other line.

"Geez, relax everyone’s ok."

We escorted everyone including the bad guys outside.

"We need a medic!" my senior shouted.

"I'm ok boss. I'll live." I joked. I was assisted to the ambulance.

"You did a great job there Lorrie. We couldn't have done it without you.” my senior praised.

"Its part of what I signed up for." I said.

Waters was taken into custody by the police and I went on living a double life; a life as an ordinary student and as a secret agent.

The author's comments:
a teacher holds some of her students hostage.