I forgive you | Teen Ink

I forgive you

By Evvyon SILVER, Richardson, Texas
Evvyon SILVER, Richardson, Texas

Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.

“Please.”

It came out as a skeptical whisper, that was only acknowledged in existence by the fact that the soft vapor cloud of her breath escaped her icy, blue, lips.

I wondered how such a blithe girl like Miranda who was normally very tenacious could belittle herself to begging me, the bullied and marred girl who was her enemy.
“Forgive me Anna,” again the paucity of volume in her voice summoned me to again look at her.

Her blond hair -- that was envied by almost everybody who went to our school -- hung in lank, wet, clumps surrounding her contrite and solemn, icy eyes.

“I have hurt you so much. Please! Forgive me,” her voice became more futile.

“I'm not sure I could ever forgive you,” I stated.

“I didn't want to hurt you, I swear I only wanted for him to love me.”
I laughed in dissent, and crazy and fallacious laugh.

Miranda started to cry, big round tears slowly dripped out of the corners of her eyes making her look even more pathetic.

“You killed my brother,” I said between my insane laughter.

“I didn't know he would protect you so much,” she choked out.

“That only sounds like an excuse Miranda,” I was whispering now.

“That's why I tried to end my life here! The place where it all started! I'm too useless! I couldn't even kill myself,” she was sobbing in the most helpless way now, making me almost feel pity towards her, almost.

I remembered that on a night quite like this one, only with more trepidation, Miranda put my life in jeopardy. She attempted to pull a cruel prank on me however, it went horribly wrong. I couldn't blame her for the storm, or the rip currents that day, but I could blame her for throwing me in the water that day knowing that I was a weak swimmer. I know she only did it so that she could make it look as if she tried save me and therefore, get in my brother's good graces. I'm so sure she would feel regret if I did die that day, of course I'm being sarcastic.

She loved my brother with such a vehemence that she wanted me out of the picture, but it was her fault he died. Her fault that I lost the last member in my family, and I could never forget it was her fault for doing that.

My brother was on the beach the day Miranda threw me in the water, and he heard my futile screams when the rip currents, pulled me further and further away from the beach. Miranda couldn't have foreseen that there would be rip currents that day, so I couldn't blame her for that, but it was her fault I was in the water that day. It was her fault that my brother had to swim out after me and pull me out of the current, losing his life in the process. I remembered that moment very clearly, him being so exhausted because he swam out to save me, he had no rigor left to keep his head above the water. His head went below the waves and that was the last time I ever saw him.

Miranda was never the same again, she could never condone herself for what she had done. She had even attempted suicide right before my eyes on countless occasions, but she never succeeded because I was always there to save her, not because I liked her or forgave her of course, but because I knew my brother would never have had forgave me if I had let her pass away.

“Anna, why is the world so cruel? How could this have happened to me? How could I have lost the person I loved so much?” She was sobbing so hard her words were almost incomprehensible, but I knew what she was asking.

“It was because of hate, Miranda. It was because you hated me with such rigor, because you couldn't stand for him to love me as much as he loved you,” I was calmer now, and I chose my words with care.

“Anna I'm dying, this time you couldn't save me, please Anna just once say you will forgive me.”

Her words rung with honesty, I knew she was dying as well, she was in the icy cold waters too long to be okay, and even if she didn't die today, she was already dead on the inside.

“Miranda, I forgave you a long time ago although, I still blame you for what happened, he wouldn't have wanted me to hate you. He would have told me that animosity leads to hurt,” I looked down at her as I spoke.

Tears were still pouring down her face, and her breath was becoming more and more shallow, but the still managed to whisper, “Anna I'm so sorry... sorry... so sorry.”

Miranda was right I wasn't able to save her that day, but I saved her from my animosity with my forgiveness, the way he would have wanted me too, and that is the best we could all do.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

You're a very good writer. (: Watch out for run-ons! LA Teacher Moment

on May. 29 2012 at 1:19 am
i_am_so_very_large_and_towering SILVER, Mililani, Hawaii

"Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

i love this! you're such a great writer!!!!!

mixie said...
I read this earlier this morning & its been in my head ever since! It really has stuck with me the entire day, you have a serious talent! I felt like it was so real, like this really happened you! Wow! Just wow! 

Nessa13 GOLD said...
Nessa13 GOLD, Charlestown, Indiana

"Love, but never fall in love, because things that fall get broken"
-Taylor Swift

wow...that was amazing! I loved it! You are deffintly my favorite writer on here!!!(:

Mynameislindsayy SILVER, Seattle, Washington

"I'd rather just except who I am, what's the use of trying to change?"

I've got to say that you are my favorite author on this website. Your work makes me think so much and I absolutely love it all. Thank you for being my favorite and never stop writting.

on Aug. 17 2011 at 5:27 am
Ayushi_austen BRONZE, Kolkata, Other

I love my past. I love my present. I’m not ashamed of what I’ve had, and I’m not sad because I have it no longer...

this was really heart-touching..i loved the way you portray the struggle against her will and what her brother would have wanted...keep up the good work!!

lovetildeath GOLD, Virginia Beach, Virginia

I'm selfish, impatient, & a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, & at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
- Marilyn Monroe

wonderful story

on May. 21 2011 at 8:55 am
missscribbles SILVER, Paris, Other
great drama

Lizette SILVER said...
on Nov. 26 2010 at 8:50 am
Lizette SILVER, Delphos, Ohio

Everyone is entitled to be stupid. But some people abuse the privlidge!

That was really well written!  I loved how Anna found the courage to forgive.  It was really awesome!

Jakethesnake BRONZE, Hernando, Mississippi

"Read, Read... Read everything, then write."-William Faulkner

What you said only comes with time. Other than that, though, this was one of the best stories I have read so far.

Phoenix_Spirit_Reborn BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
You've got a great story here, with a really strong message. However, you need to work on grammar. And the dialogue was a tad stiff. And you keep using "rigor" instead of "vigor." But you really do have a good story here, it's really unique; it's good to see such a dramatic story.

ryanbonner12 BRONZE, Hatfield, Pennsylvania

"How vain it is to sit down and write, when you have not stood up to live." -Thoreau

I really enjoyed your piece, especiallu some of the descriptions. However as you end it, try to show what her epiphany was without just telling it. We as the readers should have at least some obligation to read between the lines and figure out what's going on. Awesome job though!

silence-is-loud GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

FLOAT LIKE A BUTTERFLY, STING LIKE A BEE- MUHAMMID ALI

WOOOOOWWWW AWEEESSSOOOMMMEEE STORY!!!!! 5 STARS

Saira BRONZE said...
Saira BRONZE, Mont Vernon, New Hampshire
same here but you'll be in good shape for the sats! :)

JessieB SILVER said...
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

this is incredible, but you must already know this from all the comments you have(:

please keep writing.

Pearl SILVER said...
on Jun. 25 2010 at 10:22 am
Pearl SILVER, Carson City, Michigan

"If your not looking forward, then your looking backwards. And if you don't be carefull, your going to smack into something really hard." -Unknown-

I think Im crying... Tears for the reader meens tears for the wrighter. Well written!

smilethroughthestorm BRONZE, Laredo, Texas

To the world, you may just be one... but to one, you may be the world.

I agree with the above!

WritingLoverForever PLATINUM, Bowling Green, Ohio

It's not about success; it's about significance.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Goodness, this is beautiful! This story took my breath away and made me want to cry almost. You are an amazing writer, so keep it up! :)

inspir3d GOLD said...
inspir3d GOLD, Norcross, Georgia

We're all just looking for attention, to be discovered overnight. We're all frustrated by the popular ones that claim the limelight before they fall to pieces. So many of us are stuck under the radar--what makes me different? You decide!

SKaster said it perfectly, couldn't agree more.

fictionlover10 SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona

Yeah, it was a little like a soap opera, and a little cliched, but this was a good story. Thanks for writing!

ps. please read my stories!