Devils dont fly | Teen Ink

Devils dont fly

March 26, 2019
By MKing2019 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
MKing2019 BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The sirens were blaring down maple street chasing an exhausted Devin. Devin was a 5’4, shaggy looking, 14-year-old who always worn rags. Devin was frantic, although being chased by the police was a monthly thing for him, he was never this close to being caught, since his first run in. He ran on an old stone bridge, standing on the ledge. The cops pulled up to the dirty cracked aqueduct, getting out of their car trying to talk to him. 
     “Come on Devin you can’t keep running. Eventually we will find where you’re living. We just want to get you help.” Devin laughed to himself.  
     “I’m not going into foster care or back to juvie, you are the one who’s been throwing me in juvie for most of my life. I’ll never trust you or Rich!” Rich was his partner, a rookie who just transferred to the station. 
     “I only want to get you the help that you need. That’s all me and Rich want for you.” 
     Devin was getting irritated from hearing the same excuse, so he waved to the cops and jumped off of the bridge. He knew the current would take him down the river to his house.********* He got to the abandoned cabin on the bank of the river that he called home. He hopped out of the river soaking wet and walked into the cabin.  
     The cabin was riddled with dead bugs, roaches, and dirty walls coated with what they could only hope was mud. His older brother Uriel was the opposite of him. At 6 feet, he always looked groomed, and he styled his rags making them look like regular clothes. He was also presentable, had straight A’s, was polite, and an extrovert. After their parents left them Uriel stepped up as Devin’s parental guardian, he provided for both of them. He worked two jobs with late hours, Devin saw this and felt guilty, like he was a burden that’s why he started stealing. At first it was for food, then it was for the adrenaline rush. He did it so often it became a habit, and a habit he was good at. His stealing also resulted in his brother having a short temper towards him. He tracked puddles behind him which made his brother exasperate. 
     “What the hell! Im trying to make this place livable, we can’t do that with you making a mess. And where were you? It better have not been running from the cops again.” 
     “I was just out with a friend.” Devin said with a smirk  
     Uriel jumped out of his chair at the table making it fall back and break while also making the old table uneasy. He gripped both of Devin’s soaking arms talking to him sternly and calmly.  
     “If you keep stealing the cops will find you, then they will find me and I will go to jail because I’m giving you a place to sleep. I can go away for a long time harboring a fugitive. You are a child act accordingly.”  
     He released his hold on Devin, tramped into their shared room and slammed the door resulting in the weak legs of the table in the kitchen collapse.  Devin wanted his space from his brother, so he slept on the floor with the broken table and chair. ************* 
     It was the middle of the night, Devin was rouse with an intense hunger, but he knew they didn’t have any food, so he tried to find his brother. He found the house empty, so he went out to scavenge.  
     He proceeded into his small town looking for a small store to shoplift food from, but he saw a person in uniform... Now normally he would he would act like he was a regular teen, but this was the partner of the cop who repeatedly sent him to juvie, the one he met earlier. He stopped, not trying to draw attention to himself. He slowly turned and steadily walked back to the cabin when he heard... “Freeze!” He turned to see the officer reaching for his gun... but pulled nothing out. This confused him and the policemen, all eyes were on the two. The policemen finally looked up at Devin, but with wide eyes filled with fear and hatred, he grabbed his communicator and asked for backup. 
      “This is officer Watson, I need back up at Market Ave I've spotted the dangerous vigilante from earlier and he took my gun.” 
     Devin was distraught and offended. 
     “What! No, I didn’t! You cops will do anything to put me away!” 
     A crowd started to form around him. He was being trapped and didn’t know what to do, but Uriel would. He pushed his way out the crowd and headed for his haven. 
     “Stop him!” The officer yelled 
     Before Devin knew it, there was a mob of people chasing after him. He looked back at the blood hungry people feet away from him on the verge of beating a young child for their so-called “justice” system. He felt the cold breath behind him about to grasp his hazel curls, but it was too late. Devin made it to the river. He dove in holding his breath underwater. It was dark out, so he could only see the silhouette of the mob. He stayed under while letting the current take him home. ************ He got home climbing out the river dripping wet, he was about to open the door to the cabin when he heard Uriel yelling. 
     “I thought the plan was to shoot him!” 
     “Well I forgot my gun here, and you have yours locked up.” 
     Uriel started to laugh.  
     “He always was a tricky son of a bitch.” 
     “Don’t worry I have a warrant for his arrest” 
     “Well it's about time!” 
    Devin leaned against the cabin and slid down, tears streaming down his rosie cheeks. He thought his brother was the only person he could count on. He was wrong, he only had himself. He heard footsteps and ran to the side of the cottage. Out walked the cop, closing the door behind him. He didn’t know where he could go, where he was wanted, was he even wanted? He ran in the woods wanting to get lost forever. He ran until his legs couldn’t carry him any further. He woke up on the forest ground cold and dirty. He vowed to turn his life around if he got out of this. It then hit him. ***************** Knocking at the door late at night woke him. The door opened revealing Devin face to face with the cop who’s been chasing him for years. Devin explained his situation not thinking anyone would believe him, but strangely the cop did.  
     “Yup that sounds like Rich.” 
     Devin turned hysterical, becoming short of breath and darting around looking for a way out. A way out of juvie, a way out of his family, a way out from life. “Just tell me what you can do to clear my name!”  
     “If you could prove your innocence with hard evidence, we could release you from most of your crimes, get you in a good home, and lock up Watson.” 
     Devin snuck in the dirty cabin and looked under his brother’s bed. He easily found the gun and ran out trying to keep quiet and not wake his brother. The sun was coming up and Devin was running down the street with the gun in his hand. He was running like his life depended on it, when he heard police sirens down the street. They were headed for him. He could see the bridge where he was supposed to meet the cop and his lieutenant. He heard the sirens getting closer, so he yelled to the two, getting their attention. He finally got to the bridge when he was surrounded by police cars. He put his hands in the air surrendering, “I’m innocent” he said. A gun was fired and Devins body grew limp. He fell in the river which floated him down stream.. Home .. 


The author's comments:

If you tell someone that theyll never amount to anything long enough theyll start to believe it. Devin is the devil because he was always told we that he was. He'll never be able to fly up to his angelic brother.