28 amendment | Teen Ink

28 amendment

November 19, 2018
By Poem BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Poem BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One day a girl named Brianca said to her mom, “Mom, I wish I could vote.” She was only fourteen years old. Her mom responded, “Did you not see the news?” A new twenty-eighth amendment was going to added to the constitution. She was excited to see what it was. It was an amendment that lowered the voting age to fourteen years old. She was very excited!


The presidential election was coming up. The amendment was going to be ratified four days before the election. She was happy that she could vote fours years before she thought she would be able to vote. The election was between Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders. Brianca was a Democrat that was strongly going to vote for Bernie Sanders over Ted Cruz. Most of her friends were Democrats. She worried that kids her age would get into an argument on which candidate was better.

 

It was Election Day and there were so many more young people voting than there were before. She stood in line for six hours to vote. Brianca casted her vote next to many people her age. She was glad that people her age had a say in who was our president. Her mom and dad also stood in line for a long time. They both voted for Bernie Sanders.


The vote was too close to call. Brianca knew that the kids her age had made a huge impact on this outcome. She knew that if kids her age didn’t vote, the total amount of voters in the election would have gotten even smaller.


A few hours later, it was announced that Bernie Sanders had won the election. All her friends and family were really excited. “It was a huge accomplishment!” she exclaimed. The next morning a few, young voters like her were interviewed about their experience of voting at a younger age.


Forty years later, Brianca became our president. This amendment was created to give younger people a say in our government and our country.


Amendment Number Twenty-eight: Citizens have the right to vote at age fourteen.