The Death of Eva Sterling ( PART l ) | Teen Ink

The Death of Eva Sterling ( PART l )

By MissMatthews BRONZE, La Marque, Texas
MissMatthews BRONZE, La Marque, Texas

In Gibson Louisiana of 2010, my sister Eva Sterling was found deceased in a ditch near our home. Eva was missing for almost a week before she was found. Her body was pale, hair was stuck together as if it was cold outside, her fist was bloody and bruised, and her face had scratches. Police and doctors said her body must have just got there, because of how she looked.

I had so many questions, but my mom refused to talk about it. The police tried to help and investigate it, but my mom wasn't having it. The cops around my town had a bad name for themselves due to all the murders of black teens. I guess she felt they had something to do with Eva's death, and honestly a lot of people thought that except me. It just wouldn't add up to me; I knew there was something that wasn't being said.

4 Years Later

This coming fall, I will be moving to Dallas, TX for college. I been trying to convince my mom to come there with me, maybe a new start would be good for the both of us. Every day after I finish getting dressed to go to work, I go down stairs to plead and beg her to move to Dallas.  One day on my way down stairs to annoy my mom.

" Motherrr, Beautiful Elaine Sterling, mother of two awesome daugh… " I said.

I made it to the end of the stairs and stopped dead in my tracks. On the couch was my mom and The Milton Jones! Milton was my mom high school sweet heart, but thank God he didn't father Eva and I. He was always in and out of jail, but the last time he went I thought he would have been there for a while. He was charged with Child Molestation, and I heard he was going be gone for a while. I was so hurt, confused, and angry, because mom knew what he done! Why would she let him back in our home? Plus, we're still trying to get over Eva's death.  I never trusted him, but once I found out he went to jail for molesting one of my class mates the small amount of trust I had for him was really gone.

" Mom! how could you?!!! " I said

" Now, now, Sadie that’s no way of welcoming someone home, apologize. " said Elaine.

" Are you serious? Apologize?!!! He's not a human, he's a monster!!!! " I said.

" Watch your mouth little girl. You’re not grown! Though you may feel like you are, because they accepted you into their school. But! You're still Sadie Sterling, a nobody. " Milton said.

You would think my mom would defend me, but she didn't. I spit on his shoe and stormed out the house. I was so angry! I couldn't focus nor calm down. I called in and told my manager I couldn't make it today. Instead I went to Eva's grave stone.

Every time I would get worked up, I go talk to her. I stayed there for almost 2 hours, until my mom called and told me to come home before her pathetic boyfriend comes back.

" I'm sorry Sadie! I shouldn't have let him come back. It's just that I want to be happy again baby. " said Elaine.

" I get that you want attention, but why him? We didn't need that! " I said.

" You're right, but you're going to college honey and I don't think I can leave Gibson. We won't be able to talk to Eva." said Elaine.

" Mom. We must move forward, staying here would keep us lifeless and depressed. " I said.

I didn't think that would be a problem for her, because she never visits Eva. She didn't even show up to the funeral. Which I thought was very disrespectful and strange, but I let it go because maybe she couldn’t handle seeing her 13-year-old child lifeless. Maybe 3 months after Eva's death, my mom started drinking horribly. She goes through 3 bottles a day, and that's another reason why I didn't want Milton to live here. My mom isn't as sane as she used to be, and he would just take advantage of her.

" I'm home baby. Are you hungry?

And I see that little missy came back, do she have more saliva built up for me.” said Milton.  

I gave my mom a kiss, went to my room, put my dresser against the door, and went to sleep. I woke up in the middle of the night to shower, because I refused to bathe while he was awake.  Before I could rub the crust out my eyes, I heard my mom crying and screaming. I moved the dresser, picked up my bat, and eased my way out the door to see what was wrong.

" It’s all your fault Jones! Why did you use me like that?!!! " said Elaine.

" WHAT DID HE DO MOM?! TELL ME SO I CAN SMASH HIS HEAD LIKE A GRAPE!!!! " I said.

" I didn't do anything Sadie, I was given the opportunity to make bail. Who wouldn't pass that up? " laughed Milton.

" What do you mean? What are you saying dude? " I said.

" Tell her Elaine. Put that liquor away and tell Sadie what really happened to Eva. " said Milton.

At this point I was scared. I had no idea what these nut cases were talking about! I felt my chest tightening up and I started balling crying while I watched my mom chug the rest of her drink.

" Okay Milton! It’s done and over with now, I don't care. " said Elaine.

" I paid your brother to kidnap Eva and kill her, so I can get you out of jail. That was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. Don't you think I'm paying for it already? With everything I sacrificed you went out and cheated on me?” said Elaine.

" Mom?! Are you serious? You don't have to lie for this pig!!! If he had anything to do with it, just say it! " I said.

" No honey, I paid his brother to do it. The day the police found Eva was the same day I went to get her body, but I didn't know he stuck her in freezer. " said Elaine.

I couldn't say anything. I never felt that kind of hurt in my entire life. I ran in my room, packed my clothes, and some of Eva things. Tears was running down my face nonstop, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I left out my room, headed down stairs to my car to never come back to that house again. Before I could open the front door, I heard two-gun shots and total silence. I just knew my life was going to immediately change.

It can also be under the Thriller/Mystery genre .