My Loaki | Teen Ink

My Loaki

By km45115 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
km45115 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

One and a half years, since March 2nd, 2017, I have been wearing the same bracelet. A lokai bracelet given to me by my ‘ex’ best friend for my 16th birthday. As time went on and the more memories the bracelet experienced, the more the color has faded and the personal meaning of the bracelet itself has changed. From once simply being an accessory to my wrist, to now being apart of countless teenage memories I’ll never forget. From traveling across the world, to being there when I thought no one else was.

Two trips to Greece, through my first love, prom, my first meaningful kiss and the best nights of highschool I’ve had with my best friend; however, it’s also been with me through the scary and dark times as well. My first surgery, almost getting into a car accident and me losing some of the most important people in my life; just to name a few.

Some of my friends and family think it’s silly to wear the same thing on my wrist everyday; yet, to me, it’s part of my daily routine. When I go to bed, I simply slide the bracelet off ever so carefully to ensure that it doesn’t rip, to when I wake up. I turn off my alarm, take out my retainers, and put my bracelet back on to make sure it’s with me no matter what I do in the day. This bracelet to me is obviously not just a bracelet in my eyes, but a reminder of everyone and everything that has happened in the past.

I tend to hold onto memories and people even though I have no control over the situation. Things come and go in my life, and especially in highschool, it’s normal to lose memories you thought that would last forever, especially with people. This bracelet that I can always look down at, to me, is a constant reminder of all the good memories and people I’ve had in my life. The physical person might not be there, but the bracelet that once held their hand is.

Yes, I understand that one day my bracelet will rip, and I will no longer be able to wear it, but when that day comes, I believe it’s finally time to drop the memories, the people, the experiences I didn’t want to forget, for new memories, new people and new experiences as I get older. However, until that day comes, whenever I feel sad, or happy, or as if I need a reminder of all the unforgettable times as a teenager, I have my lokai, and my lokai has me.