Top Voted Historical Fiction

Here is the top voted historical fiction:

voted
#1
The Masked Women of Kabul This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I listened to the small whisper of my feet timidly brushing against the dirt as I proceeded closer and closer to my freedom. My burqa covered my ­entire body, turning me into a ghost-woman that I didn't even recognize. I had one image in my mind:... (more »)
33 comments
voted
#2
A Song in the Night This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
THE GREAT WAR, 1916 The Christmas snow this year would be red, because wars could not stop for the holidays. Every day there would be more fighting, and the mingled blood of Germans and Englishmen would continue to stain the soil of Flanders... (more »)
46 comments
voted
#3
Making the River This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Diary of Thomas Warren: July 27, 1864 I crouched behind the large willow that overlooked the woodland down the hill, and let my breath come in halting gasps. Cool and soft breezes brushed over me, caressing my skin. My eyes roved around the... (more »)
25 comments
voted
#4
What We Did for Freedom This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Don’t it ever bother you?” “What?” “That your girl be white.” I looked over at my two-year-old daughter playing with pebbles she had collected from the river bank. She picked them up one by one and dropped them into an... (more »)
21 comments
voted
#5
A Prayer to Memory This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Germany, November, 1938 I had been Jewish the first eleven years of my life, but it wasn't until the night of November 9, 1938, that I prayed to God and meant every word with all of my heart. That night goes by many names: Crystal Night,... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#6
The World in the Well This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I used to dream about the world in the well by my aunt's house, that pile of rocks and wood that looked so small from the window. My cousins Frederick and Benedict loved it too, and we'd march in our pinching Sunday school shoes down the grassy... (more »)
2 comments