A Day In The Cold | Teen Ink

A Day In The Cold

By jkinney1616 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
jkinney1616 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

It was a cold windy day in Southampton, United Kingdom. It was under freezing that’s how cold it was but no worry. As my wife Edith, our two lovely children, and I are about to board this gargantuan boat that is going to take us to New York City. We get our tickets checked and then board the boat. As we get on the boat the guy checking our tickets says “It is April 10, 1912 and you will arrive in New York City within the next week. You guys will follow this young man Carlos and he will lead you to your room upstairs on the first level.” As we are following Carlos we see all these people in dresses and tuxes and here we are in some shorts and a pollo. When we get to the room the first thing we do is get into our best clothes so we match everybody else in first class. After we get in our best clothes we go outside and lean on the railing as we are leaving Southampton and heading toward New York City. As we are leaving the bay I see my parents drive up and start waving to us. We wave back. It is already 10 o'clock and we’re planning on getting up early tomorrow to see the sunrise and get some breakfast, so we hit the hay. We wake up the next morning at 6A.M. we get up and go to the head of the boat and watch the sunrise. After we were done watching the sunrise it was about 7A.M. so we get to the breakfast line which is still empty because everybody else likes to sleep in. When we get there we see everything. Pancakes,sausage, waffles, eggs, bacon, just about any breakfast food thought imaginable. We get just about one of everything. After we were done eating breakfast it was already 8:30A.M.. My wife and I let the kids go and play around the boat but right before we left we told them “Don’t play with the 3rd class kids. Understand?” My children answered back “Ok dad. We understand.” Then we sent them off to go and play. While the kids were gone off playing  my wife and I just sat the head of the boat. After a while of sitting there we got very cold, so I ran to our room and grabbed us a blanket and our jackets. After a while of just sitting there and talking I started to think where are my kids. It has been over 3 hours. My wife had dozed off so I left her there with the blanket over top her. I went and looked for my kids. First I checked the main deck. They weren’t there. Then I checked the 2nd class floor. They weren’t there. I didn’t even want to check the 3rd class floor because they are good children and usually listen to me. I checked it anyways. They weren’t there. After I had checked all floors on the boat I hadn’t found them. I went back to were me and my wife were. When I got there my wife was gone also. I quickly thought “Oh she’s in the room, and maybe the kids are also.” I walked to the room and as I opened the door there was no one there except for a maid. I asked the maid if she had seen two little kids, one boy and one girl, and my wife. She said no. I just started thinking where could they be. Then I thought the only place I haven’t checked yet. The cafeteria. I am basically running at this point. When I get to the cafeteria I see my wife and two kids. I walk to the table they are at and I sit down with them. I ask my kids where they had been playing and they said they were in the room the whole time. I just sat there in silence the whole time at lunch wondering how I didn’t see them when I went to get the jackets and blanket. This trip is a privilege, a couple days off of work and here I am thinking way to much. I promised myself that the rest of the trip I will not think about anything else. After lunch we went back to our room and started playing some games. After a while of playing games the kids got tired and went to bed. It was only like 8P.M. but I didn’t care because my wife and I had made plans to go to the ballroom tonight and party. When the clock hit nine we were out of the room and partying upstairs in the ballroom. When we got back to the room we were both asleep within the next 30 minutes. The next morning we all slept in. We slept in all the way until 9:30. When we finally did wake up the breakfast was already gone and put away, so we had to wait all the way until lunch at 11:30. To pass by the two hours until lunch we sat out on the deck because it was warmer than yesterday. After the two hours passed my kids, wife, and I were the first people in line for lunch because we were starving. After lunch we felt so much better. Later on in the day I wondered off a little and saw that they are having a live music group tonight, so I bought 4 tickets. Later that night when we went to the live music performance chaos hit. The massive ship known as Titanic is actually sinking. They said that ship would never go down. They let the girls and children on the boats hanging off the edge of boat. When my wife and kids boarded the boat I went to get on and they stopped me. They lowered the boat. I went with it. I jumped off the side of the boat and got into the boat with my wife and kids. The boat finally sank at approximately 11:40P.M. That was the end of Titanic. That’s as much as I can remember of those nights.

I based this off of the Titanic about a family of 4 on the Titanic.