Caesar's Diary Entry | Teen Ink

Caesar's Diary Entry

By austynrichard BRONZE, Marrero, Louisiana
austynrichard BRONZE, Marrero, Louisiana

Dear Diary,

Today is March 14, and tomorrow is the Ides of March. The soothsayer told me to beware the Ides of March, but I didn’t think I should be worried until now. A lot of weird things have been happening. I could have been overly superstitious, but the weather has been bad and there were multiple accounts of strange events. A slave’s hand was seen on fire without burning, wild animals were in the streets but weren’t attacking, men were seen on fire in the street, and owls were hooting in the middle of the day! I thought that these events were pointing to bad omens, so I had an augurer come in to see if maybe I was being worried for no reason. The augerer said that the animal we sacrificed didn’t have a heart! I am sure that all of these things are pointing to something big and definitely bad, but nothing can conquer the mighty Caesar. I’m supposed to go to the capital later today to get crowned, but Calpurnia is begging me not to go. She told me that she had a dream that a fountain of me was spitting blood, and the Romans were bathing their hands in it. I decided that I shall stay home with her and say I am sick.

Brutus and a few other people just showed up to my home, and they said that they need me to go to the capitol. Because I want what's best for Rome, I’m going to go. We need a great ruler who is not defeated by the weak and knows how to beat the powerful. Things are going to be very different now.

-Caesar