Journal of Surgeon | Teen Ink

Journal of Surgeon

By DerkDerk BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
DerkDerk BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Another bloody day. The smell of chloroform cloths being dunked every 15 minutes still lingers in the air. The moans of injured soldiers still ringing in my ears, blood flying as limbs come off. A pretty average day. I deal with this day and night, no real rest save for the few hours of sleep I get. Most of these “professional” doctors here probably went to school for 13 weeks, at max. There is no real training here, just experience. The most clean this place gets is probably early in the morning, when no operations have been done. No amputations have been made, and no blood soaking the saws. Luckily, it’s not too much thanks to my trusty tourniquet. While tight enough it can cut off the blood flow and make things just a bit less squeamish, it’s a real life-saver. On the left here you can see my kit. Nothing really to keep things on, just to take them off. No real need for precision and still aim, each operation takes around 15 mins. Simply and quickly. As if it never happened. Of course i’m practically soaked in blood and germs by this time, but you get used to it as you see much more on the battlefield.
Sometimes I feel remorse for those I couldn’t save, but they’re the most helpful. They support us during hard winter times. They block the cold piercing winds and help keep my hands steady so I don’t create another wind block. It’s as if they’re looking out for their fallen brothers, even  from the grave. Shows some sort of comradery within the ranks.
Due to my amount of experience and achievery within my field i’m assigned to immediately assist wounded high-ranking officers on the spot. Sometimes I even go out onto the open battlefield to care for them. They’re a very important part of the union and must be preserved. As it is with all wars. Good day!