A Horseshoes Life | Teen Ink

A Horseshoes Life

By Callesky59 BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
Callesky59 BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana

I hate ‘em. I hate ‘em all. Men, women, and children too. Always picking us up and tossing us through the air right into the dirt, like we’re nothing. Well maybe someday I’ll toss them in the dirt or see if they like being stuck on the bottom of a horse's foot! I'm sick and tired of all this abuse. What do my feelings matter anyway I’m just a curved piece of iron designed to always be underfoot (sobs). Oh no someones coming! No! Please no! Not again! I can't go back! Nooooooo! As the cling of iron on iron sounds and the beastly cheering of the men die down all is silent and the lonely horseshoe lies still. The a drop of sweat for one of the men's glittering foreheads falls to the ground hitting the horseshoe and he revives slightly. What? Where am i? Whats going on? Why does my heel chalk hurt? Wait no! Not again! Don't throw me again! Oh the inhumanity! (more sobs). I think this is it, i won't survive another throw. I'm finally going into that big smelter in the sky… wait… why is everyone running to the barn without me? I just wanna go home! Noooooooooooooo!

This piece is a short story of a horseshoes life in the actual game of horseshoes. It was inspired by the book and movie Of Mice And Men. This was originally an assignment given to me by my English teacher.