Animal Farm- Squelaler | Teen Ink

Animal Farm- Squelaler

By TAEXA1312 BRONZE, Bradenton, Florida
TAEXA1312 BRONZE, Bradenton, Florida

Animal Farm is a power allegory based on the Russian Revolution of 1917, and what the writer, George Orwell’s views were on the outcome that would come to be if Russia did not open their eyes to see the true threat of the true enemy. Throughout the story, Orwell Paired each important person(s) or actions  in the revolution as a certain duplicate, in the form of an animal. In the revolution, propaganda played a major part, not just in how the citizens began to think, but also how they began to act, furthermore act out and “problem solve”. Orwell understood how propaganda was more powerful that just some persuasive words, but that it was a leader, more the less a weapon, that the people trusted more as a comrade, rather than what it really was, which was a deceitful weapon, used by Joseph Stalin, further known as Napolian. Orwell recognized that propaganda would have to be an intelligent animal, who could use words to weave his way out of any situation. The animal must be loyal to his speaker or leader, he must be able to lie and manipulate even the most intelligent people of the working class, and be able to blend in as a comrade yet stand out as a loyal servant. Out of this was born Squealer, who is a simple pig of abominable intentions.

Unlike most of the animals on the farm, Squealer has an advantage of being highly educated. Most animals on the farm could barely understand how to read or write let alone speak properly. Squealer had acknowledged the fact that the animals are not well educated, and uses that to his advantage to twist around words, and ultimently control them. Squealer uses several tactics that could only work if a highly educated person/ animal knew how to use them properly hence himself. Squealers personality traits included, but were not limited to; Propaganda,  Manipulation, Plagiarism, Fear, and was also known as a Trickster among other nanes to grab the certitude of the farm. for example Squealer had said; “He (Napoleon) would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be? (pg. 35) Squealer was implying that none of the animals on the farm is capable to make major decisions because of their lack of a perfect education like Squealer and Napoleon. He also used the tactic of fear to scare the animals into thinking they would mess of the “perfect” ecosystem of the farm. Squealer consistantly uses persuasion, false facts, and big fancy words to make the false statement sound logical and true,which is just what a trickster will do. Squealer had stated on page 23; "it has been proven by science, (the apples and milk), contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of the pig. We pigs are brainworkers” Most the animals probaby had no idea what the statements “proven by science”, “contain substances” “well-being” and possibly even “brainworkers” meant, and at first hear, it sounds harmless and that his intentions were only in favor of the farm, when really he just openly admitted to stealing the milk and apples. Squealer was so carful in his choice of words, in so he got away with all of this and was never once questioned as “two-faced” during the execution of his perfectly planned out plan.

To successfully execute any plan, you must first eliminate  those who disagree, stand in the way, or who could possibly put a delay and or overall destroy the plan during the excicution. You must also choose the side that who rules in numbers and or power has chosen so. In the beggining of the book, all the animals (the majority in numbers) took out out “removed” Mr.Jones (the former main source of power) to take over and control of the farm. Squealer knew that just because Jones had been removed, does not mean that he will stay out. Squealer also knew that it was not likely that he would come back after the first attempt to creat a massacre and gain back control of the farm. Squiler consistently uses the tactic of fear throughout the book to scare the animals into doing whatever he needed  them to do at the time, to further the excicution of Napolians plan, as he demonstrated on page 35 Squealer had said; “surely you do not want Jones to come back now do you?”. Squealer understood how fearful the animals were of Mr.Jones return, so by using that to his defence, he tricked the animals into thinking that anything they did (against Napoleon's wishes) could've been connected to the possible return of Jones, there for always getting his way. This was just one example of how he blinded the truth with lies in having such toxic motives that he would later use to take control of the farm, and to further the power and corruption  of his “Leader”, Napoleon.

Squealer often used the tactic of lying, more the less than he used of all the others. Squealer constantly told lies to make himself come off as a nobleman, instead of a liar that he really was. He was dissimulated as a comrade among the other animals of the farm. He perfected public speaking to the point, that he could present an idea as him trying to equivocate the issue, and have his true intentions be to do the exact opposite. For example; on page 79, it was said; “Squealer was with them for the greater part of everyday. he was, ( so he said) teaching them to sing a new song, which privacy was needed”. At first glance, you may think of Squealer as merciful comrade, but if you question why he would need privacy alone with them, then you may start to realize that teaching his comrades to sind, does not require extreme privacy, and that maybe he is teaching them something else of immoral intentions, and because the public had already discumliated him as a trustful comrade, no questions will ever be asked against him.
        During the Russian Revolution, many important leaders such as Joseph Stalin (Napoleon) used propaganda as a weapon and defence. The definition of propaganda by google is; information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view. In the story of Animal Farm, Orwell understood that propaganda was more than just convincing words, but that it was equivalent to a powerful person not just because it can choose the fate of peoples lives, but also because it can do anything using the power of knowledge. Squealer resembles propaganda as not just scintillating, but also as arrogant, and brisk. He was very good at withholding the truth and being very discreet about it. He could make significant events seem negligible by the very careful selection of certain words that he would present to the public when addressing the situation, same as for Propaganda. Propaganda most definitely has its ups and downs, but in the end, it just depends on who's using it, and how.

I wrote this essay at 14, about the amazing book Animal Farm. I hope you find this interesting and informiative. :)