The Victory of Liberty | Teen Ink

The Victory of Liberty

March 27, 2017
By richard2819 BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
richard2819 BRONZE, Shenzhen, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Good morning sir, today’s news,” Davis took the paper from the boy’s hand. Sitting near the window, drinking a cup of tea, he glanced at the headline. “Members of the Sons of Liberty poured hundreds of boxes of tea transported from Britain into the seawater.” “At high tide, the water filled the broken box as filled with tea. From the south of the city stretches to Dorchester Bay, some of it even washed ashore.”

“Mr. Lieutenant, you’re fired. for your neglect of duty in this conflict. Considering the achievements you have made in the past, I will offer you a large estate in Cambridge, and your trip to there is tomorrow. Never let me see you again in London. Enjoy your retirement,” King George III said to Davis.

It was a rainy night. In the rain, a ship departed from Britain to Plymouth. Davis sat near a window. He looked through it, glanced at the coastline of Britain. That was his last impression of his home country. “The next time I come back here, I will no longer be an Englishman,” he thought, facing to the west.

Sam Davis was a British Lieutenant. In 1773, the occurrence of the Boston Tea Party forced the British to withdraw from Boston. He was accused of neglect of duty and was deprived of his military rank by King George III. He went to Massachusetts with indignation. “Welcome Mr. Davis, now you are one of us, the Sons of Liberty.” Said Samuel Adams, the leader of the organization, congratulating him. “My great honor, sir. Long lives liberty!” Davis Excitedly took an oath. That year was 1774, when a former British general became the leader of North America's largest anti-British organization.

“Mr. Commander, I ‘ve heard there are a lot of conflicts happening in North America. To ensure the dominance of Great Britain, you ‘d better take actions to suppress those patriots. Just use gunfire,” King George III wrote to the commander of the British garrison, James May. James looked outside the window and pick up his teacup. “It is time to punish these restless idiots.” He called his assistant to authorize the order.

“Really? The British are coming tomorrow? Follow the order of King George? Want to have a surprise attack on us?” , Davis responded to John Hancock, another leader of the organization. “We must take actions before they arrive here, or our resources and soldiers will be in danger. You and I, now.”

On the evening of April 18, 1775, the sky was dark, two horses from Boston to Concord galloped away.  “The British are planning to arrest our men, grab our resources, and destroy our dream of liberty! ” Davis said. “That is their daydream, we are fighting them directly this time!” Adams cried out. They rode to the militia around midnight. They soon came to the outskirts of the village of Lexington, the British forces to search the news told the local militia, then departed to Concord. When the militiamen got the news, they soon banded together and lay in ambush mode in the woods, beside the road, waiting for the arrival of the British army.

Just before dawn, 800 men wearing red uniforms of the British light infantry, the lieutenant commander James May, secretly headed to the village of Lexington. They were about to get into the village when they found dozens of villagers standing on the lawn in front of the village. These people were holding guns, glared at the British. The two sides deadlocked for a long time. Not knowing who fired the first shot, the British Lieutenant Commander James waved his saber command of British soldiers to open fire. The silence was broken suddenly. The gunfire resounded throughout the whole town. In the chaos, one bullet knocked down Samuel Adams, the closest Comrade of Sam Davis. He fell to the ground heavily, but with a determined look in his eyes. “ Adams, stay with me! Stay with me! I will not let you die before our victory!” Davis cried out. “ My best friend…do not take risks to save my life…Liberty…Sons of Liberty…Long live liberty………”
Davis turned around, staring angrily at the enemy, and shot all of them down.
“Mr. Davis, Davis, more enemies are coming! We have got to go!” John Hancock shouted to him. “Farewell my friend Adams, Long lives liberty!”, he deeply bowed towards where Adams was sacrificed, and left the town.