The Family | Teen Ink

The Family

By William07 BRONZE, Bristol, Pennsylvania
William07 BRONZE, Bristol, Pennsylvania

BACKSTORY…
    One day on March 23, 1760 a boy named Whitley Doderson was born. Whitley is son of Bob Doderson and Felicia William, brother of Steven (Stephen) Doderson, Gregory Doderson, Bob Doderson jr. and Katie Doderson, in order of oldest to youngest. Whitley is the youngest out of them at being just born while Katie is 3, Bob jr. is 6, Greg is 7, and Steven is 9. Whitley dreamed of being a family hero, now is his time to be that hero…

“Ma, why did dad go fight with the British?” 17 year old Whitley said. Ma responded with, “He was stupid, we won’t get our freedom but he will, but he was always greedy.” “He was never-” “Yeah whatever, that's why me and you joining the continental army. We are taking down him for his bad choices. Plus, we can get back at his abusiveness to all of us, even Ma.” Said Steven. “Any way, Whit, you are turning 18 so when we reach Valley Forge we will probably go down to take Savannah, Dad’s mom lived there so for some memories, he should help go get the loyalist there.” Whitley than said, “Then let's get going. We enlist for 6 months, help win the war, come home, have a family, and I will have reached my dream. At least to the family, and it will only take one year…

“Were on the way to Savannah, we will capture the loyalist down there.” Said General Benjamin Lincoln. “I’m taking around 5,000 troops, since it is a area the Great Britain does not require, it should be easy to take. We will even give them a chance to surrender to us.” At hearing this, Steven knew this would be a bad idea, British Officials will try to get all the help they can. Whitley thought he would die, he was good with a gun but he has never been the one getting shot at by professionals. Usually he is hunting deer. He never missed a shot since the day he got his own gun. Then Benjamin interrupted his thought and said “It is time to get going, we will meet with the French general, Comte d’Estaing, He will bring men by sea and we will travel by land, we will call for a surrender. Two things can happen, one, they don’t and we capture as many as we can, or two, they give in and we capture them all. The-” “What is to happen if British do show up?” “Well we shoot them, they are more skillful but with our momentum we can win this fight, now let’s go!” Then, everyone started marching with Benjamin in the lead, riding his pure bred, glimmering, white stallion. Whitley always having a horse like that except with a brown mane and the horse's body, hard like steel, was white. Steven on the other hand wanted a horse just like that one. But those were only dreams from them as little kids. Now they are fighting in a war that should only be fought by a madman. Just because people should set aside their differences and stop trying to take control of others. Power is not the key in life. Bob the dad, has an eye for power. Steven and Whitley, have an eye set on they key. Family…

September 16 to, October 20, 1779, Siege of Savannah
    “I order you to stand down,” yells General Benjamin Lincoln. “Because if you do, no one will have to be hurt.” He then descended down the hill to greet Comte d’Estaing, “Hello there admiral,” “And hello to you general.” “Everyone disband to you tent they will have a few days, before we attack.” You then heard marching all around the camp. Steven said, “Why don’t we just attack now, we are basically giving them time to be ready to fight.” Then Whitley “Well, we want them to be ready so when they anticipate the attack and we don’t come, they let their guard down, we strike and finish the job. The idea can work but it may as well fail. Anyway-” “Tomorrow we attack the town, it’s been 3 days and we are feeling a big pressure, I’m not sure if it’s a good pressure or bad. All I know is the captain is uncomfortable.” That was Gremlin Schwaab, rumor has it that there is supposedly a beautiful lady and that is a costume, but anyone who has talked about it has died. Then Whitley said, “Are you a man or women?” “Well, I will tell you, but I won’t tell Stephen.” A few seconds later she moved back from whispering, “Ok, I’ll tell him,” “Good,” Then Gremlin walked away. So Steven whispered, “How did she/he know my name?” “She said she has-” “SHE?!” “Let me finish,, she said you were cute, maybe she can show herself after the war. Oh, plus, she knew your father when she was child. She was supposedly the same age as you when I was born, 8 years old.” “Speaking of years, we only got 2 months until we reenlist or not. I’m gonna settle in with her and-” “Her? Do you mean Alicia?” “Is that her name? If so than yes but first I wanna get to know her for about 3 months, I’m  sure mom would agree.” “I still miss ma…” “...me too...me too...night.” They then went to sleep, shutting off the little lanterns Benjamin gave them to stay warm hoping for a better tomorrow.

“General Lincoln, it might be time to retreat. Sir? What’s the next move?” Whitley was yelling out taking fire and returning it. “Look, it’s dad in the front line, I think it’s time for revenge” Then Stephen said, “Let's shoot.” Bob saw them and started shooting at therm. Steven came up and shot him getting a slight cut in his arm. When Whitley came up and over the barrier and saw pa lying on the ground. At that moment, Benjamin Lincoln horse shot, calls for retreat. The battle took a long time and Great Britain won Savannah and Whitley and Steven got to go home. Steven got to know Alicia. They had 2 kids, one boy named Draug and a girl named Kayla. Everyone was happy in life. No one ended up crying after. Plus, Whitley reached his goal and was considered a hero.