Lost in a world | Teen Ink

Lost in a world

By Dgreenfield7117 BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois
Dgreenfield7117 BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois

"Help, Help" I cried. "Is there anyone out there to Help me."
Through the think dust I could see and hear people but it didn't seem like they could hear or see me.
Another man walked by, head held high and ?no emotion on his face?. He glanced my way but didn't seem to notice me huddled against the wall. I could tell he didn't have it much better than me.
I pleaded, "Please Sir. I'm in need, I'm suck in a hole that was not of my doing."
The man looked away and continued walking just like the rest of them. ?I have been out here for weeks? barely making enough money to get a meal. The last time I had money was when I sold my house for 30 cents. That lasted me 2 days. But here I am, on the side of the road sitting while the dust blows by.
"Next" calls a lady that is handing out soup. I refuse to stand in line or go in that general direction, I don't need help from someone that put me in the place I am in today.
I begin to rise off the sidewalk and shuffle over to the lady. "Is this the only type of job where you can make a lot of money for basically no work."
"Um no it..." she stammers due to the randomness of the question.
"Because I believe that working at a steel mill takes way more skill and pouring soup young lady. How much do they pay you for this? I bet its more than we make." I profoundly stated while I slammed my fist on the table.
She looks firmly at me, "Sir, I volunteered to do this... I'm doing it for people like you." She said with the most sincere face she could muster.
"I bet that's what they tell you to say." I announce as I shuffle way from the counter and back to the sidewalk. I never looked back but I could tell she was about to start sobbing.
Just before I sat down on the sidewalk again I heard her call out, "Hey, I do this work because the rest of my family are squaters like you sir. And don't you ever tell me that I'm more privileged than you. We are all living in Hoovervilles, and you sitting on your behind won't fix that." When she was done, she stood there puffing like a bull, and our eyes never broke contact.
I finally broke the eye wrenching contact and began shuffling down the street to a location as far away from her as possible.