The Assassination of Hitler | Teen Ink

The Assassination of Hitler

By Genci375 BRONZE, Pequannock, New Jersey
Genci375 BRONZE, Pequannock, New Jersey

“Everyday I walk these streets and think of the horror these people must face from day to day.” Dalton muttered with misery.
“This may be horrible now, but I have confidence in our new chancellor. He wants change that will make Germany a prosperous place once again.” Lachlan explained. Berlin Germany, February 20 1933, 15 years after the biggest war known to mankind. This war was appropriately named World War 1. The Germans had suffered a terrible defeat and still think of the humiliation. Germany is still suffering after 15 years with it’s own Great Depression. Way worse than the American Great Depression. The unemployment rate is close to 30% which means that many people are jobless.
Dalton then replied back “I haven’t heard a single word from the new chancellor. Maybe soon I can hear what his big plan is, but for now I’m going to look at these poor people with sorrow. Unemployed, poor, these people deserve better.”
The thought of Germany’s state made Dalton think about his time as a World War 1 soldier, and that if he, Lachlan, and many other soldiers did better in the war, then Germany wouldn’t be in the dire state it is in at this very moment.  A young boy then busted Dalton and Lachlan’s eardrums when his out of shape megaphone screeched in agony.
“All German soldiers are ordered by the chancellor to go to the Berlin Sportpalast,” the boy announced.
“I guess now I’m going to hear from our new chancellor.” Dalton said with anxiousness. Excitiedness entered Dalton just from the thought that he would get to see what this new chancellor has in store and how he is going to make change. Right now, he is the only hope for Germany to become a prosperous place once again. Hundreds, maybe even thousands of soldiers were waiting outside of the Sportpalast to hear from the chancellor. When they all got in, Dalton was lucky enough to get the front row seat because of all the time he spent fighting in World War 1. After all, this speech is supposed to be made for the soldiers of Germany so that they can hear this new chancellor. When the chancellor walked up to the podium everything and everyone went quiet. It was to the point where you could hear a pin drop. The man had jet black hair combed to the side, and a small mustache that looked almost comical. Also, he wore khaki fabric all over his body, and had this weird symbol on his left arm. The symbol was red,black,and white and it’s shape was almost indescribable. The man gave Dalton a cold, hard stare which told Dalton that this man meant business.  The chancellor approached the microphone and start talking about how he is going to change Germany, as expected by Dalton and Lachlan. However, what he did next was a total surprise as he started talking about how he blames the Jews for the defeat of Germany, and how without them we would have won. Germany wouldn’t be in this dreadful situation. The chancellor also started talking about an Aryan master race and how he will annihilate the Jews that were said to be inferior and an enemy to the Germans. Dalton couldn’t believe what he had just heard. With someone like this leading, a whole new war is definitely a possibility. The man talked with such anger that he had his fist up in the air and was practically screaming. At the end of his horrid speech he gave a salute, in which all of the soldiers followed soon after.  The salute gave Dalton a feeling of uneasiness, as if one day everybody would be doing it. Dalton also saluted in the same style the man did, however he felt absolutely horrible that he was forced to follow the man's action at this moment. After the speech, Dalton talked to Lachlan about how he felt about the ideas this new chancellor wants to implement.
“He is insane, absolutely crazy. Blaming the Jews for the war and promising to kill all of them. Aryan master race, this guy is completely insane!” Dalton exclaimed with shock.
“How could someone as racist as he is become chancellor?”
Lachlan then replied
“Personally I think the opposite. He is a man who wants drastic change which is what Germany needs at the moment. I strongly believe that he is the man who will fix Germany!” Both Dalton and Lachlan felt the rage building up inside them.
“How could someone even think like that?” both of them thought to themselves.
Lachlan then sucker punched Dalton on the cheek. Dalton then punched him in the stomach which made Lachlan look like he was about to throw up. They then went in for a final attack and both of them punched each other in the face at the same time.
“I guess this is what people mean when they say you’re taking politics to far.” Dalton muttered to himself, but loud enough so that Lachlan could hear what he was saying.
“If you don’t like his ideals then you should just quit from being a soldier” It’s blatantly obvious that you’re too weak to be one!” Lachlan screamed without a single moment of hesitation.
Berlin Germany, July 20th 1944 , Dalton has quit the soldier life and decided to join a resistance against the now leader of Germany, Hitler. Today will be known as the assassination of Hitler.
“The plan is for Claus von Stauffenberg to go into a meeting room with Hitler, and place a bag with a bomb in it. The bomb will explode and most certainly kill Hitler. The bomb must be placed in an area not too close to Hitler to the point where suspicions will arise, but not to far to the point where it won’t kill him. Remember, a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do. This mission could mean suicide so, be ready for death if death may come.” Dalton announced in a serious voice. 
Everything worked out as planned however, the bomb was too far from Hitler so, it didn’t kill him. The rage filled Hitler like a lion , so he then rounded up everybody that was associated with the bomb plot and threw them into concentration camps where they will be publicly executed as an example to never go against Hitler. The camps were atrocious, in both their treatment of people said to be inferior and the environment in which they were placed in.  Metal bars and barbed wire as far as the eye could see.  Everything looked as if it had a grey look to it, as if all hope and happiness was drained from everyone and everything. All you could hear was agonizing screams, and the air smelt as if it had been burnt. Everybody then gathered around the execution stage. As Dalton was walked up to the stage, he saw Lachlan who looked at him with regret. If he didn’t fight Dalton that day, maybe they would still be friends, and maybe Dalton wouldn’t be standing at death’s door at this precise moment.
“I may be dying now but, that doesn’t mean that my will won’t be passed on! Someone will arise one day and bring an end to this stupid war! People fighting and dying without a reason, more and more soldiers who have families in Germany to come back to are dying! However, all we do is just fight even though some of us don’t even want to continue! One day Hitler will be stopped, this war will be no more and a new power will arise!” The German soldier then shot Dalton in the head, and he died a quick and painless death. As he died, Lachlan saw that Dalton had a smile on his face. Lachlan then started to cry himself. Regret and shock filled Lachlan when he saw that Dalton had died with a smile on his face. That smile signified that he was satisfied with the fact that he lived his life free, able to do what he wanted to do without anybody stopping him. Someone will take his place one day, and Dalton was hopeful about that. He believed that anybody can do whatever they want to, no matter how insane that deed is. All it takes is hard work, and anyone can achieve anything. On July 21st 1944, Former soldier and traitor to the people of Germany, Dalton had been made an example of in front of the citizens of Germany. His words before his death touch many and led to many more resistances against Hitler and his evil, terrifying ways. Dalton’s story was no more, however many people after took over his will, and stood up against the Nazi Party. Those people who decided to fight for the better will be remembered forever as heros that  were able to see the wrongness in Hitler’s ways, even though Germany was in a dire state of depression.

Our teacher had told us to write a 1,000 or more word story on a picture taken during the time period of WWII. I chose a picture of Hitler saluting after giving a speech to write about. After I got my paper back from being graded my teacher told me to send it to Teen Ink. I hope you enjoy.