A Wast of Time | Teen Ink

A Wast of Time

December 9, 2016
By HWRichards BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
HWRichards BRONZE, Lafayette, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The year is 1920 and John T Scopes trial has just started.  The courtroom is booming with all types of reporters. Even the most famous reporter from New York came to see what was going on. It took awhile for the room to get settled. I had a front row seat in the room and about 12:30 when Scopes entered the room. The room went dead silent you could hear each step he took and each paper rusol as the two layers got ready. Once the judge and jury were seat the trial began.


Tension rose between the two sides as god vs evolution began. Let's not forget about the other people watching they are hard core christian and hate Scopes because he taught evolution in school. The parents could not believe that someone could teach that or even think that way. The jury found him guilty in the first nine minutes. The court room got so heated that the judge called for a break. After the break Scopes compared humans to monkeys and that shocked the people. The people could not stand to be compared to those lesser things.


On day two the layers were back at it yelling and proving and disproving each other. The christian people did not want Scopes to go free. The other layer brought up the point that is was against the law to teach evolution and Scopes did it anyway. That did not change anything because of what happened later with the monkeys. Now it was day three and some people have dressed up some monkeys. They started to parade them around the town. Then this question popped into my head what do they think of all of this. The first monkey did not look thrilled to be dressed up and walking around town.


The one that got the worst treatment was the one that was  cute and  clueless. Christian people were now out raged to the point that they would not be seated and the room had to be cleared once more. By the fourth day the people were throwing things at the monkey. As they were being shown the similarities between them. I felt so bad for that one monkey and after some time the monkey wanted to go back home. That's when the major problems started and did not look good. The people were getting up and the judge was also on their bandwagon. Scopes then realized that there was no possible way not to get out of that court room with with any penalty.
The very next day the monkey was back and started s***.The monkey the people accepted that it had nothing do with all of this they relaxed. Also they started to make jokes on how they could not be related to the monkeys. Until the monkey did something that no one expected. The monkey started to fling its pop at the people. Shortly after that monkey was taken away and a new monkey was brought in. This one dressed the same way in a top hat and suit. Then the people could not believe that all scopes was getting is a 100 dollar fine and no jail time. The people started protesting right there that he should be thrown in jail. Apparently the people were not saying things that bears repeating. 


After the week of listening to the battle I decided to do some more reach. I found out that Scopes was not the only person to think that evolution was right. More in the city were reading about the trial and wonder is he right but so many people out on the farms were unhappy that Scopes could have ever thought that anyone could be that way in the head. Days went by and soon the whole of America was divided in two once more. I also had time to go out and talk to Scopes about why he thought that evolution could be right.


Later that same day my post asked me to cover the story in great detail and they asked me which day I remembered the most. I spose the day that I remember the most would have been the day the monkeys came into play is the answer I always gave them. Truly the day I remember the most is the first day when you could tell that the jury already found him guilty and the whole week long trial did not need to happen at all when it was already over at that point.”Thank you for coming and telling the class about the Scopes trial” said the teacher then the students sead “thank you” as well.