Philosophers | Teen Ink

Philosophers

By IsabelZ SILVER, Houston, Texas
IsabelZ SILVER, Houston, Texas

"I hope she’ll be a fool—that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." F. Scott Fitzgerald.
"Forever is composed of nows" Emily Dickinson.

Socrates: You are all cavemen, you can only see what is in front of you! Snobbish and materialistic so called "philosophers." Haters of arguments and true knowledge.

Democritus: hey chillax, I only state what is obvious, either things are or they aren't. Like atoms and void.

Socrates: whatever, haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate.

Democritus: a potato is divisible because it has void in it.

Aristotle has joined the group

Aristotle: Socrates I think you mean Haters are going to hate and potatoes are going to potate*, also the correct term would be potateness. The idea of a potato.

Socrates: here we go again. It seems like Plato has taught you nothing.

Aristotle: he has, in fact I should teach him some things.

Democritus:*burn* what do you mean?

Aristotle: lets begin with the fact that people are mind and body not only mind.

Democritus: mind? What is mind? People are atoms. Everything is atoms except what is not.

Socrates: don't say Mr. Sherlock, catch up Democritus, you are being nominal and simple minded about this, we mean people have a soul, they have life.

Democritus: life? Soul? Those words are not in my vocabulary.

Heraclitus has joined the group.

Heraclitus: there is no way to define life anyway because things are changing all the time. I am a different person now, and now, and now. How do you define something that doesn't stay the same?

Democritus: and that is the question my dear friend.

Zeno has joined the group

Zeno: what are you talking about? Nothing changes, EVER. There is a midpoint between where you are and where you want to go and between that midpoint and the point there is another midpoint and so on. You can never get anywhere! We are stuck and nothing makes sense because we cannot move an infinite space in a finite time! IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! CHANGE IS IMPOSSIBLE!

Socrates: can somebody take them out of the group please?

Democritus has left the group.

Heraclitus has left the group.

When I started taking philosophy classes I couldn't help but notice how funny it seemed that philosophers contradict each other very often. Imagining them having a conversation, that is something I would like to see so I wrote it myself!