Why The Crab Has No Head (Oral Story Telling) | Teen Ink

Why The Crab Has No Head (Oral Story Telling)

Mummy... why don't Crabs have heads?

What do you mean darling?

Well, I went to the zoo today and I noticed that the Crab was the only animal with no head, and I wondered why.

Oh okay I'll tell you why. Now get snug first. Okay...

A very long time ago all the different animals used to live together in a village. The animals had no heads. Can you imagine what it would be like having no head? Wicked, huh? The Chief of the village who was an Elephant had his own head because he was chef and he used to keep all the other animal heads together in a big shed and the animals had to choose one to borrow every time they left the village so that they wouldn't frighten the living daylights out of the humans in town. They used to have great fun trying on different heads, so you would get a giraffe with a peacocks head and a  lion with a zebra's head and so on.

But eventually the animals started quarrelling over the heads. The animals that thought they were the most important wanted the most beautiful heads but nobody wanted the hyena's head because it was the ugliest. Ah, Poor Hyena.The Chief's secretary the crab, the most snobby animal you would ever meet, used to laugh at the other animals and say that they were being stupid for arguing over the heads.

Slowly the arguments about what head belonged to who became so heated that the chef got tired of listening to them and decided that he would give everyone their own head.

The Chief sent Crane the village Messenger to make the announcement to everyone all over the village.
The Chief is giving out individual heads come to the village centre! Shouted Crane as he flew around the village. Crane saw everyone rushing the the village centre to get their heads but he noticed that the Chief's assistant Crab was not moving at any hast like the other...in fact he was swaggering to the bath holes to have a bath!
Oi, Mate! Didn't you hear what I said? exclaimed Crane.

Yes I did, but I do not need to attend such a nutty event because I'm quite certain the Chief will save the best head for me 'cause I'm his assistant, init?! Replied Crab haughtily.

Disgruntled Crane turned his back on Crab and flew to the village centre to get his head while Crab had himself a nice luxurious bath. Like the one you just had.

Chief Elephant tried his best to give everyone a head that suited them most. So the Hippopotamus got a very large, fat head; the Rhinoceros got a head with fierce looking eyes; the Giraffe got a long head to match his long neck. Nobody liked the Hyena, so he got the ugliest head there was, but the Antelope, who was thought to be the most graceful of the animals, got the most beautiful head. Every animal got their own heads and they were all pleased. But Crab came back swaggering down to the village centre to get his head as he was beyond sure and certain that the Chief would have reserved a head for him.

When he reached the Chief he waited with his with all his arrogance for the Chief to hand his head. But he was shocked when he wasn't handed a head.

Where have you been hiding out, asked the Chief. I’m afraid all the heads have been given out, and there is not a single one left for you!

However much the Crab protested, there was nothing to be done, and that is the reason why to this day the crab goes through life without a head.

Practising Oral Story Telling