A dying breed | Teen Ink

A dying breed

The turn of the 20th century is bringing about the end of the era of the Wild West. Alex tries to fight is best he can, but his past catches up to him. He enlists the help of sheriff Jones and Bartholomew to help him find them.

Chapter 1: New faces

“You should know lad, some good advice is to never let a good badge fade, no matter what you must uphold the law around these parts. Hell it should be above your own morals as well” Nathaniel Jones said putting his boots up on his desk.

“I understand sir thank you for all of the wonderful advice you have given me over the last few days when I take over your positions as Marshal of Vertbrook” Bartholomew said smiling half heartedly. “Cheer up lad there has been no major trouble here around these parts except a few years back when these two families, large families nearly burned this town to the ground and killed other people over a small pig that had gotten fought over. Now that I think of it, that was pretty funny” Jones chuckled giving off a big gleaming smile. Bartholomew smiled at the comment, “sir I do have to ask you another question. When do you plan on retiring?”. Jones moved his mouth side to side pondering the question, “well I think me boy in a few months. I am 78 years old I think and it is about time to pass the reins to someone much younger than myself”. Bartholomew looked up from his notepad trying to hide the smile on his face. He knew that Jones was talking about him hopefully taking his place, and then he could stick it to his pa that he was not useless after all. “What is the culture of the town?” Bartholomew asked breaking Jones’s gaze at the setting sun.

“The what? oh yeah, that thing. It is like the old way of life, not any of this fancy technological gizmos coming from back east” Jones said with a growing angry tone in his voice. Some commotion from outside disturbed the conversation the two were having. “What in tarnation is going on out there?!” he shouted and walked over to the door nearly tearing the old thing off its hinges. “Whoa come on sir no need for this to go south” Bartholomew pleaded trying to get jones to calm down a little. “Sit your butt back on that cowhide son while I go take care of this!” Jones demanded pointing back at the chair. Jones walked down the center of town where the storekeeper was in a shoving match with some kid. “Oh no no no no no, this is not gooddddd” Bartholomew said to himself with a lot of worry in his voice.

After ten minutes of waiting for Jones to come back Bartholomew went out and met Jones at the bottom of the steps laughing. “That old storekeeper over there. Roberts is his name. He is throwing a fit over months old candies being stolen by that kid Axel over there” he howled nearly falling over. “Enough of that. Come with me lad we must go somewhere now” Jones said walking to a pathway leading up to the surrounding hills.

After a 20 minute or so walk through cactuses that were waist high on both sides of the path they finally reached the overlook. “there, you see that smoke coming from those trees?” Jones asked. “Yes I believe so” Bartholomew replied. “What am I looking at?” he then asked. “Those are fires from a band of outlaws that have holed up there in Hollow Neck Pines, and tomorrow we are going to pay them a visit. Now get out of here” he said. Bartholomew ran through the path trying to avoid the cactuses as best as he could. “This is wonderful!” he exclaimed jumping for joy. “I am going to be the next best thing in these parts!”. “That will show my parents that this whole thing was not a waste”. “especially pa!”. Little did Bartholomew know that he was gonna take down one major threat that always refused to stay down for good.