Sweet Molly Malone | Teen Ink

Sweet Molly Malone

By haleylevan GOLD, New York, New York
haleylevan GOLD, New York, New York

Sweet Molly Malone

"In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone"
?-Molly Malone Traditi?onal Song

There was once a girl in Dublin, they named her Molly Malone. She had brown hair, brown eyes, and a faced baked brown by the sun. She worked hard, that girl, selling cockles and mussels alive-o.

Now Molly had a wheelbarrow, a dirty wood wheelbarrow, the handles rusted over time. It was no surprise, what she did. Her father and mother before her were fishmongers too. She sang her heart out, bright and jolly, day after day on the streets, selling her cockles and mussels alive-o.

One day, one tragic tragic day, Molly awoke with a fever. Her head hurt, her back ached, and the sun was much too bright. Still she reached for her mighty wheelbarrow and stumbled onto the streets, broad and narrow. "Cockles and mussels," she cried, "cockles and mussels alive-o!"

The night was a warm one, a warm gentle breeze billowing through the window, yet Molly stood shivering, cold to her bones. She raised a scrawny, dirty arm, and wrapped around herslef, the other wrapped tightly around her wheelbarrow. Her fever pounded inside her head, and she really did believe she would perish, no longer would she sell those cockles and mussels alive-o.

Then one marvelous summer night, a spirit came to town. Oh dear Molly, sweet sweet Molly, you do not deserve to die! Sang he. And with a great fling of his robe, Molly Malone was back on her feet, selling cockles and mussels alive-o.

Cockles and mussels alive-o!

I wrote this piece because while reading The Tree Grows In Brooklyn, I came upon the song Molly Malone. I decided to try something new and write a piece off of a song.