Coming Home | Teen Ink

Coming Home

By Nickstubbs101 SILVER, Wilmington DE, Delaware
Nickstubbs101 SILVER, Wilmington DE, Delaware

The year is 1959 in Jackson Mississippi during this time racial segregation was very prominent you could get taunted, attacked, or even murdered for just the color of your skin. I was an African-American male about 5’9, brown eyes, curly hair and always well-groomed. I kept a journal with me because I could express my thoughts more vividly and clearly on paper.

2:15
The school bell rings. I pick up my books and ask Ms. Madison the homework for the day.

She says “Page 9 Questions 10-20”

I say goodbye and proceed to leave the school as I am leaving my friend Tony comes up to me
“Hey” Tony says
Tony seemed very nervous
“Hey Tony, Are you going to church this Sunday” I responded
“Yes my baby brother is…ummm…. actually…… reading the sermon this time” Tony Responds
Tony seemed to be very nervous
I asked him “Is everything alright”
Tony starts palming his hands in nervousness
“Everything is fine just be careful walking home tonight”
I knew something was wrong because Tony never says be careful walking home something must have been wrong.
I respond in hesitance “ok Tony I guess I will see you at church this Sunday”
Tony turned around and walks out the door

I put my books down just for a second because they are very heavy and I have a far way to walk. I pick my books back up and walk out the door as I am walking out the door. I remember that my mom told me to come home and set the table for dinner. The time was only 2:45 and my mom didn’t get home till 4:30 so I had more than enough time to walk home and get the chore done. I walk past Charles Clark High School which was a school for white children. They get out at 3:30 which was good for me because the kids at Charles Clark are extremely prejudice.

Walking
When I walked past Charles Clark High School I noticed there were no kids outside which was very odd because I always see kids outside during the gym period rain or shine. I also notice there isn’t a faint sound of learning being broadcasted through the open windows of the school. I also notice there are barely any cars or buses outside the building. As I am walking home I see Reverend Shockley my pastor at church. He seems to be in rush I ask him
“Hey Reverend Shockley how is Sister Mable doing?”
Sister Mable’s brother was lynched in front of his grandmother’s house for helping a white lady with her groceries.
“She is getting better. They are still going through a very hard time. How is your mother and father doing?”
“They are doing great. I am trying to hurry up and get home before she finds out I did not do my chores.”
Reverend Shockley seemed to be in a hurry
“You better get home and do your chores wouldn’t want your mother to think I am holding you up” Reverend Shockley says
“I will be at church this Sunday can’t wait to hear the sermon you have prepared for us” I respond
“Ok goodbye now stay blessed”
Reverend Shockley zips past me.

Everyone is acting very strange I think to myself as I proceed to walk. I start to ponder on what Tony said to me and how strange everything is starting to become. I start to feel nervous as time starts to whine down and the sky starts to become darker. 

Time
I look at the Clock and the time is 3:20 I keep walking because I am about three blocks from my house. In the distance I see three white boys. They are yelling something and walking towards me very aggressively. My heart is pounding as they approach me closer and closer. The sound starts to become clearer
“Get out of here!”
“You worthless scumbag”
“Go back to Africa”

I see the first of the white boys has a Louisville slugger baseball bat and the second white boy is throwing a rock up and down catching the rock each time, the third white boy is screaming racial slurs from the top of his lungs. I start to shake and become very scared. The fear made my heart race it felt like my heart would eventually run out my chest. The boys approach me I do not show fear or look at them I just continue to walk. They continue to taunt me

“Look guys the monkeys out the zoo”
They all laugh. They start to simultaneously rotate around me saying malicious things to me.
“What’s the point of paying for the zoo when you can see monkeys walk down the street?”
I continue to keep my head high and walk because as much as the things they say hurt I refuse to show them any weakness.
“Answer me monkey” The first boy says
“You worthless scum answer him” The second white boy says
I start to notice the heavy aggression in their tone.
Struck
I continue to walk and not give these guys any of my attention. The third guy yells in my ear aggressively
“ANSWER HIM!”
I keep walking ignoring the irritating voices that continue to taunt me.
I see the first guy lift the bat up from my peripheral and he strikes it right on the back of my knee extremely hard.
They boys laugh intensively
The pain I felt was unbearable not physically but emotionally. As my knee struck the ground I seen a rock flying in my direction and I was eventually struck right in the head. I held my head in agony as I feel to the floor. I wake up confused blood rushing down my face the sky is very dark and I become very scared. I look at my watch and the time is 7:30pm. I am limping trying to rush home before a Klan member catches me out here. They constantly look for African-American boys to hang to show white supremacy. My knee is in horrendous pain and I painfully approach my house. I run in and my mom immediately rushes to my care.

“Omg my baby” my mom says when she sees me
“What happened son” My father says sternly
“I was attacked by three white boys walking home from school” I say frantically
Tear rushed down my face as I continued to tell my parents what happened
“The boys threw rocks and hit me with a baseball bat”
My mom starts to cry
“Not my baby, my poor baby” my mom says in distress
My dad storms out he couldn’t handle to see his son in this state.

My mom bandages me up and puts me to bed as I am laying to bed I say a famous prayer by Paul Laurence Dunbar

“O LORD, the hard-won miles
Have worn my stumbling feet:
Oh, soothe me with thy smiles,
And make my life complete.
The thorns were thick and keen
Where’er I trembling trod;
The way was long between
My wounded feet and God.
Where healing water flow
Do thou my footsteps lead.
My heart is aching so;
Thy gracious balm I need.

I look back on that event in 1959 and compare it to 2015 to see the progression we have made as a nation. Our most successful president in my opinion is of African descent. We have successful black actors and musicians the plethora of successfully owned black business are unfathomable. To see this progression is amazing and definitely the right track towards a great future for African-Americans.