The Surprising Adventure | Teen Ink

The Surprising Adventure

November 9, 2015
By BibleGirl BRONZE, Battle Ground, Washington
BibleGirl BRONZE, Battle Ground, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Bam! Ivy ducked swiftly as a bullet whizzed past her head and flew through the air faster than anything she’s seen before. Bewildered, Ivy got up and looked around astounded to see men dressed in trousers and puffy white shirts with guns firing at each other. “ Fire!” she heard one of them yell as yet another bullet whizzed through the air. Ivy was in shock wondering how she got there because not two minutes earlier she was reading in her bed. Ivy is a thirteen year old girl with long brown hair, bright blue eyes, and a nice big smile, however she wasn’t smiling now because she did not know what in the world was happening. Earlier that day, at school, during history class Ivy was assigned to write a report on an important time in American history. “I really don’t like history,” Ivy thought scornfully. “I guess I could do the Revolutionary War. So Ivy picked to study this crucial time in our nation’s history.At 3:45 when  school ended Ivy decided to go to the library and check out some books about the Revolutionary War. At the library she found five books, sat  herself down, and read as much as she could. Ivy had read for what seemed like hours but was realistically 30 minutes. “I really don’t want to keep reading, but I probably should.” Ivy pondered. She  kept reading until she started to doze in and out of sleep. Awakened by the ring of her cell phone, she hurriedly answered as everyone else in the library was shushing her. “ Hi Ivy, I want you to come now for dinner.” her mom said on the phone. ‘All right, I’m at the library so I should be home in five minutes.” Once Ivy had gotten home and ate dinner she decided to continue her study of the War for Independence. She sat down at her white desk and started reading. Once it was about 11pm Ivy decided to go to bed.
All of a sudden, she felt a rumble and saw a bright light. Ivy opened her eyes just as a bullet whizzed past her head. “Wow!” Ivy said in shock as she stood in what looked like a battlefield filled with men both dead and alive. The field was covered in smoke from the gunshots making it hard to breathe. All of the soldiers were holding guns and would shoot them when “Fire!” was yelled by a man from the front line. Ivy was sure that it was George Washington himself. She was tempted to go his way and ask where she was. Suddenly, all of the men started shooting. Ivy ran as fast as she could. Playing soccer sure paid off! Ivy started to run towards the men that she thought were the good guys. Once the bullets started coming more and more her way, Ivy decided to turn around and run towards an opening in the into the woods hoping to find a way home. Just before Ivy got into the forest, a man with a giant rifle stood there as tall as a tree and walked toward her. He slowly positioned his gun so that it pointed towards her. A horrendous fear swept across Ivy one that  she had never felt before, like she was being approached by a grizzly bear. She stumbled backwards until she fell into a bush. She  kept crawling as fast as she could to try to get away from this man. In her head she was saying a little prayer as she was saying aloud “Please don’t kill me! I don’t know where or when I am.” Ivy looked him in the eyes, expecting the worst to happen.
Right before he  got to her a big white horse with a man that looked tall and proud trotted towards her. He wore a big white wig that seemed to make him look even taller and a blue uniform that looked a lot fancier and cleaner than the rest of the men's. “ Stand down,” the man said. He got off and asked who Ivy was. “My name is Ivy Nelson and I think I’m lost,” she declared. “ Come with me. My name is George Washington.  It’s nice to meet you.” They got on the horse and rode towards the group of men wearing blue. Once they got there they dismounted and walked towards a big tent. The tent was full of guns, maps, and a bed. “This is where I sleep” he said to Ivy. “Where do you come from?” he asked. “ I live in Seattle, Washington.” Ivy informed him. “Where?” he asked in confusion. “It’s in Washington, one of the states in the United States of America.  It’s named after you!” said Ivy excitedly.  “I’m sorry, I don’t understand what you’re saying.”  he said with uncertainty.  “I have to go out and fight.”  “Yes, I was just reading about it.” “Oh, in the newspaper ?”  “No, in my history book.”  Ivy could see her explanation only made things worse.  “Do you know how I can get home because I don’t know how I got here?”  “No” he said apologetically.  Ivy felt torn though she wanted to stay and  see what it was like in the Revolutionary War and yet she also wanted to see her home and family again.
“What’s happening?” Ivy said in pure horror as all the men seemed to start to melt away. All of a sudden she heard, “Wake up Ivy.  You fell asleep while reading about the Revolutionary War.” It was her mom’s voice. At once everything was gone.  Ivy lifted her head, slowly opening one eye then the other, after she noticed that she was home in her room.”That was weird,”  Ivy thought.  A content yet kind of sad  smile came across her face as she realized that it was just a dream.