What is love? | Teen Ink

What is love?

By ash_larkins BRONZE, Waxhaw, North Carolina
ash_larkins BRONZE, Waxhaw, North Carolina

"The secret of becoming a writer is to write, write, and keep on writing." ~Ken MacLead

“Erish! Oh, how I wish you would stop day-dreaming and finish sewing your wedding dress!” My mother sighed. My wedding day was only three days away. My family had been preparing for the day for months. It was deemed to be a spectacular event seeing that my family was one of the most wealthy in the village.
I, unlike most others was truly in love. Even though my father had chosen Gitlam for me, I was madly in love with him. His small frame and golden brown hair left me speechless. There was not another like him in the entire village. His laugh alone could enchant any girl that he passed and his smile could kill the meanest of men. Any man that is, except for Gitlam’s oldest brother who had killed three of his wives with no punishment.
“Erish! Erish! Do not make me say it again!” This time my mother screamed. If, my father found out that I had disrespected her I would be punished.
“I’m sorry, but I just can’t help myself!” I sighed thinking about what Gitlam would be doing. Probably down by the river collecting some new trade items for the wedding.
“Well then, to get your mind off of things why don’t you take a break and go feed the chickens,” she huffed.
I got up from my seat where I had been sewing and started the long walk to the courtyard. Our house sat atop of a large hill that overlooked a quaint little courtyard enhanced with beautiful flowers and a large garden.  It was the finest garden in the entire village. I made my way to the small bench that budded right up to our fence. I could see the entire village from this bench. The poor working on their fields and the rest of the village bustling around selling goods and tending to crying children. I would miss this spot when I moved away to live with Gitlam. I had only gotten to sit on the bench for fourteen years of my life, but that was far too long for a girl in my village.
The sun was beginning to set and the village had calmed to a slow trickle of people. I noticed that the fields had been cleared except for one young man who sat atop a barrel staring into the sunset. His clothes were filthy and his hair was a mess, but something about him I found just slightly charming. He turned around and caught me staring. He got up from his seat smiled, waved, and then gathered his things and started his long journey back home.
I quickly realized that I had forgotten to feed the chickens and it had been hours since I had left home. I gave myself a lecture and quickly gathered my things. It was too often that I would get lost out there to the sunset.
When I returned home my family was seated at the table with an assortment of fish on their plates. I had expected to be chastised the minute they found out what I had been doing, but they didn’t say a word. At first I thought they simply hadn’t noticed me, but then I saw the tears in their eyes. My family was crying.

My mother gestured for me to have a seat at the table. I slowly moved to my seat and sat down. I didn’t say a word. I was too afraid to speak.
“Erish, darling I am afraid we have bad news,” my Father spoke through tears.
“Nothing could possibly be this bad. I mean, I am to be married in three days. Maybe that if nothing else can cheer you up.” My Father just lowered his head and let out a long sigh.
“Dear child, it is your Gitlam. He is gone.”
“What do you mean Gitlam is gone?” Shock struck my face. It couldn’t be. It couldn’t possibly be that Gitlam had died. My Father just shook his head yes and grabbed my hand.
“In three days you will be wed to Gitlam’s oldest brother.” I shook my head. I couldn’t believe it. I was going to have to marry the cruelest man in the village. He could offer my family nothing, but it didn’t matter it was the law. I jerked my hand away from my father and rose from my seat at the table. It didn’t matter that I was hungry. I just kept running. I ran out the front door, onto the dirt path, and down the long windy road that led to my bench. I passed flowers and herbs, but it was all a blur. I could see nothing through the tears in my eyes. I just let my heart carry me to the place that I knew best.
When I finally reached the bench I threw myself across it with such force that I scraped my cheek causing a slow trickle of blood to fall down my face. I laid there until morning not making a sound except for the loud sobs between tears. It was now only two days until I was to be married. The thought sent a rush of pain to my stomach.
I had just begun to cry again when I heard a voice from across the fence, “Are you alright Miss?” When I looked up I saw that it was the boy from the field. He was wearing the same filthy outfit and his hair remained unbrushed and once again I fell in love.
“No, but there is no need for me to trouble you with my problems,” I sniffled.
“I have time.” He spoke so firmly that I couldn’t object. I gestured for him to pass through the gate and have a seat beside me. “I have always dreamed of watching the sunset from your bench.”
“Really?” I asked. I would never have thought that those who worked the fields could have the same dreams as me.
“Yes, I have been so envious of you up here while I sit on my barrel in the field.” He stared up at the sky as if he would never get to experience anything like it again.
“Then stay.” The words came out of my mouth before I could think twice. I knew that I was walking a dangerous line talking to a boy from such a low life two days before I was to be married, but it was worth the risk.
“Are you sure? I don’t know if that is a good idea?” He started to stand, but I grabbed his arm and pulled him back down. Once he was seated I didn’t let go. I held on tight because I was afraid to lose him. I was afraid it would feel as if I was losing Gitlam all over again.
I sat there next to a boy whose name I didn’t know and waited for the evening to come and the sun to set. When the time came and the village grew silent we watched the sunset in silence. Once the sun had completely fallen and the sky had become dark I looked over at the boy and I kissed his cheek. I had never felt anything like it in my entire life. The wave of warmth that washed through my body was so unfamiliar that I couldn’t breathe and that moment of warmth was the moment that I realized that I had just discovered true love.

First go at a historical fiction piece. Took place in early Mesopotamia.