The Aftermath of the Boston Tea Party | Teen Ink

The Aftermath of the Boston Tea Party

By PriyankaD. GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey
PriyankaD. GOLD, Princeton, New Jersey

Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul.
Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal.

Pamela Vaull Starr

Narrator - Tensions are increasing hither in the American colonies.  The sovereign British Parliament has decided to pass a new act - the Tea Act!  Now, the British East India company can directly their low cost tea to the colonists, but with a small duty imposed by England.  Yesterday, the 17th of December, 1773,  Bostonians disguised as Native Americans threw 342 chests of tea into the Boston Harbour as a symbol of their discontent. Organized and silent, the colonists seem defiant in their stand against British efforts to tax them. Parliament is in a state of turmoil... let us listen in to the intense debates in Boston……

Loyalist - Malediction! Utter disloyalty! What shalt our Sovereign King think of us when he doth hear of such mutiny and disorder in his Imperial colony! He shalt consider us savages, and quell our disobedient spirit with his mighty troops! All this, for the discontent and unreasonable hearts of such men as thee, hailing yourself “Patriots!" Lord, have mercy on thy poor servants and rescue us from the wrath of our monarch!

Patriot - Lady, why art thou in such a tirade? The British East India Company has tried to pull an English shenanigan and tax us for being English! Let the truth resound - these filthy Tories have tried to let freedom not ring, and make us their slaves. Watch out, because the tea tax is the snobbish British elite's new take on tyranny.

Loyalist - The Tea Act was an exemplary solution offered by the British East India Company to provide us with the excellent English tea we all enjoy after our breakfast, at tea-time, and at evening parties. Why, the tea provided by the Company is even cheaper than smuggled tea!

Patriots - C’mon, I have two words for thee - HIDDEN   TAXES ! You think that just because the overall price is cheaper, it is better. However, Parliament can’t decide to tax us without our consent, that’s how the slaves, women and children are treated, not us English gentlemen!

Loyalist - (wavers a little) I understand when you say that the Parliament should have consulted us before imposing any law. (continues desperately) ...However, England is doing this in our best interest, so that we can enjoy our morning tea without worries about its cost! And now they will consider us ungrateful and insolent!
(dabs at her face in utter consternation)

Patriot - I certainly worried a lot more when the tax was first imposed. After throwing out about forty chests of tea out last night all by myself, I feel more serene than ever.
(reminisces and smiles)

Loyalist - Parliament has repealed ALL the Townshend Acts except this small tax. Why art thou making such a furor over such an inconsequential matter? This will also reduce our guilt by diminishing the current level of smuggling and theft of tea here. And now thou colonists are throwing away this great boon by this “Tea Party”!!
(exits in anxious disdain, then pauses, lost in thought)

Patriot - Madam, why is it beyond thy comprehension that the Company will monopolize the tea trade and undermine our colonial merchants? Moreover, other companies might follow its example, and would thus threaten colonial businesses, including yours! I feel extremely chivalrous about this noble deed I’ve done

(stiffly walks away, then relaxes, and smiles into the future...)

This is a humorous, yet earnest, account of what I imagine a typical clash of ideologies might have been like during the American Revolution. Even though these middle-class merchants are concerned with their own businesses, the bigger question of their freedom as equal human beings is beginning to dawn upon them.