Before the Trials | Teen Ink

Before the Trials

By Oaken BRONZE, Jenks, Oklahoma
Oaken BRONZE, Jenks, Oklahoma

Nuremberg, Germany
Robert met Nicole at the corner. They walked down the crowded streets together. This would be the first time they saw each other since the funeral. They found an old iron bench in front of a shop after walking the cobble streets for what felt like ages. Neither one of them knew what was inside the brick building, but it looked cozy and had a nice view of the Nuremberg courthouse. They were both there to see that Hermann Goering was put to death, one of the many Nazi’s they held responsible for the deaths of their relatives. They both sat there, listening to the locals jabber away in a language they couldn’t understand. There was so much they could say, so much to tell, but all they did was sit there in the pain they had both worked so hard to repress.
Robert ran his scrawny hands through his thinning brown hair. Leaning back he looked up at the German sky, his wispy blue eyes reflecting it back into the heavens. ”I thought it would be different.” he muttered through his hands, “I thought it would look like some big war base, instead most of Nuremberg look fresh out of a fairy tale.” It truly did with its old castles and Gothic church, most of the city looked like it had been modeled after a prospering medieval town.
“I don’t know if I can go in there.” Nicole barely got the words out of her mouth. Robert looked at her still body, the way her vivid green eyes felt of an empty grey as she stared, painful and unmoving, into the pebbles in the road. A pale pain riddled face rested on the tired shoulders of this frail, broken woman. She had lost more than Robert in this war, and it showed in the way she sat; with her hands gently folded in her lap, atop a withering black dress. The world blurred and wisped in their eyes, fading into the white noise that would keep them consumed for weeks to come.