THE FOUR CHIMES | Teen Ink

THE FOUR CHIMES

By Wil Welch BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri
Wil Welch BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri

I am afraid. More than I have ever been before. I lay in my bed, unable to sleep. I waited for 4:00 AM. They say that if Major Robert Anderson does not except our terms at four AM, he is to, without a doubt, is to be fired upon. I waited and waited and waited. First I heard, one, St. Michael Chime. Then I waited some more until I heard, two St. Michael Chimes. Then three St. Michael Chimes. The time grew closer and closer to four as I waited. I began to wish that I could be somewhere else and that it was some other time. Not in South Carolina, not anywhere in the south, around to four AM. But the mischief our succession has been done. I told myself to not fear, but prepare for a thunderstorm. I count four now, one, two, three, four, St. Michael Chimes. The world was silent for a while and I began to hope. BOOOOM! BOOOOM! BOOOOM! I heard the shots and I was frantic. I prayed to my God as I never had prayed to my God before.
"Help us Lord! Free us from the mess that we are in and deliver us through it! Whether or not you support us, I don't know. But bless us in this time! Amen!" The cannons have ceased. But the storm has not ended; I believe it has just only begun.

I love the Civil War! It is my favorite part of history.