Thank you, dad | Teen Ink

Thank you, dad

By Keying BRONZE, Champaign, Illinois
Keying BRONZE, Champaign, Illinois

Today is 1-9-1939 it’s my 14th birthday. I was happy until mom tell me we are going to America...
My name is Coco. I’m a girl who grew up in a Japanese family.My family was rich.My family is going to move to America. I told my parents I don’t want to go to USA, but they didn’t accept my suggestion. It’s hard for me to move to another place and leave the place where I grown up. Especially when all of my friends are there.
My father is a soldier. He fought mostly for Japan, but also other countries.
I am silently sitting in my room thinking about how to tell my friends I’m going to leave them. ‘Would they be sad? Maybe not…’ I thought to myself. I heard someone’s knocking my door, so I went to open the door. It’s dad,he came in and sat down. ‘Did I got in trouble?’ I wondered.
“You’re not in trouble,” Father looked at me and said. ‘How do he know what I’m thinking.’ “Come, sit down,”dad waved his hand and said. “Coco listen, you are 13years old already, you should know that I want us to move to America is for a reason,” dad said it just like he’s doing a ‘presentation’.
I thought about it for a while after dad finish his talk. “Dad, i know, but…… you should understand my feelings, all of my friends are here. And I don’t want to leave them,” I look at dad and told him.
Dad didn’t spoke for a while. I don’t know if he’s mad or something. “I understand, Coco you’re a big girl now you should go and face the world. You can stay with these friends forever. you need to make new friends,” oh my god another ‘presentation’. I push him out. I just want to stay by myself for a while.
Five days later……
“Coco, it’s time to go!” dad yelled while he put the packages on the van. I still remember the van. The first time dad took me to my friend’s house he drove that van. Lots of memories, but we have to leave today. To go to the strange place-America. i don’t want to go. I hope I can lock myself in a small room and nobody will find me. 
None of the things I imagine was true. I stepped on the car and went on the way to the airport.
There’s not a lots of people in the airport. I took my book out to read. I didn’t focus on my reading because I was thinking about my friends. When I got to the end of the page I saw a text that shocked me. ‘Americans are always mean to asians.’ I believed because I saw the image on the top of the text. The picture was showing an american man killing a japanese man. I showed to my dad, he said it’s not true.
When I got on the airplane I pretended to be sleeping. i was thinking about how my friends and I went to watch movies and went to play. I felt something on my hand. I touched my face, it was tears.
My dad make me to go to school the next morning after I arrived in America.
I was nervous when I got to the school. I don’t know english. I don’t know how can I communicate with them. Dad was talking to someone in english, I didn’t know dad knew how to speak english. Everyone looked at me like I’m a monster. Some people even punch me, I didn’t know what they were trying to do.
The lady dad was talking to, she brought me to a class. I feel scared because they were all stare like they are going to eat me.
The 9-1 of 1942, dad left for almost 3 years already. Mom told me he went to fought a war. This is the second birthday I celebrate without my dad. When will he be back?
In school I have lots of friends. I started to like here. It was all because of Ms.Y. Ms.Y came to our school last year. She taught history for our class. She talked to everyone who bullied me. I thanked her for doing that. Everyone started to treat me nice after she came.
Three years later…
“Happy late birthday,” dad opened the door and said. I went to hugged him. My tears started to fall out. I missed him so much.