Slave Girl Jana | Teen Ink

Slave Girl Jana

By KatrinaSHUHS BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
KatrinaSHUHS BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

Slave girl Jana
          My name is Jana, I’m 9 years old,and if this world is fair it got a funny way to show it. You won't understand now,so let me start this story from the beginning. I live in africa in a medium sized village, every day my job is to collect fruits and berries other than that was to go to the lake and fish. everything else was for my parents, like hunting, traveling, arguing... you know, fun stuff.
I get teased because I don't know how to hunt I do but I'm not into killing animals so I ask my mom if I could do something else like fruit picking but if my friends knew that they'll call me soft or a coward. We also play games like who can throw a rock far enough I'm always good at that but not aiming I don't care though.
This is the day it happened. When my mom is walking with dad on a hunt I was told to always stay within the yard but I sometimes walk to the ocean and think. I take a shortcut near the woods so my friends won't blackmail me into trouble it was when I was walking back to the house.
I took a wrong turn and retraced my steps, another half mile and I would be there but I heard something hoping it was harmless like a bird or something like a fallen tree branch,  but a net was over me and people came out and beat me so I couldn't get out and dragged me to the beach I tried yelling for help but every time they kicked me until I stopped.
They took me out and beat me again and tied my hands together and forced me to go on a boat with others like 600 people. We were all chained together in a short tight space.I think the boat took off because it started to sway. I looked around at the others some looked really scared and worried some just angry and mad, I was just confused thinking we are going back right?  And why are we here?
The next day they took us on the top and hurt us with a whip. I started to cry looking at people suffering.The next few days they tie other people chains to a heavy rock and throw it overboard sending a lot of people into the ocean drowning them, the first time I saw that I cried to myself and looked away, I sort of felt lucky but through all of this im not. Some jumped off voluntary. I might have to but I wanted to know why and try to survive through this.
Day after day the same thing happen we eat, some die, some starve, we sleep, till one day I don't know the time on that thing probably more than two weeks in misery and pain, they took us off of the ship I was hoping it was our home and this was extremely hard punishment for leaving the yard but we was in a strange place and something told me it was almost over but it was really hard to believe that. They took us to a place and put some stuff on us I don't know why I just know I can't do anything, about it.

They put us on a platform  with a large crowd yelling and screaming at us and were taking us somewhere to be more separate than we already are. They then put me up there and then took me to a  tall, white  man he had strange clothing but that's not new he also took two other people. He chained us to his vehicle with animals pulling it I think it was a bigger donkey, but thats not the point he sat inside while we walk all the way to something.

It was a long walk,  but at the end it was nothing to the long trip here.  It was the biggest building I had ever saw it was black and white, it was made out of bricks and had a water fountain.  I thought we was going to live in there but he took us to a barn where the animals live.  I recognized the some of them but why the big birds, he said stay here or die none of us say anything then he left. We sat there looking at each other for a minute  then I said hi, the male teen said shut up, the female said ignore my brother and then they had a conversation, I felt awkward so I walked towards the furry things and made a pillow.
I closed my eyes and thought what my parents were doing, their probably  worried but not that worried because I wasn't much of a daughter, other ones can hunt,  fight, and make clothes out of fur.  I heard them coming closer so I opened my eyes, they said we're not ever returning home and we live here for now on.....I looked around and said this is where the animals lived, the male teen said they're treating us like it. The female said we're family now we will look after each other and help each other no matter what happened or is going to happen just keep going and don't give up. we also trade stories and shared knowledge about ourself to bond.

The next day the tall man came back with two more white people, the one on his left had a smile on his face, the one on his right was a little buff, had a hat, sunglasses, and a rope that wiped us. The one on his left spoke but I didn't understand him I think Késa and Bray didn't understand either. The one in the middle said this is your leader and you will do what he say or..... he pointed towards the buff guy and he whipped the floor hard to scare us im not sure about them but to me it worked, the guy on his left, went into his big house.
He said for now on your slaves, the male will pick fruits and cotton the woman will cook and clean and the kids will help clean,sweep, feed the animals and baby sit, once a week you will learn english to talk to real people and not n***** like you.

9 Years later...
11pm we was all tired that 2, 5, and 11 year-old nearly got me a headache  including the animals , Késa said sweeping for them is impossible they just make another mess, Bray said you don't know how sharp that cotton is, that's 18 cuts today. Well I heard theres going to be a lot of people this time. I asked her why. Did u forget? Its the master birthday next week. At that moment I thought of last year of waking up at 4am cooking, cleaning, milking cows, helping with the garden, collecting eggs, helping with the outfits, getting whipped for not letting everything be perfect, its the worst day of the year. Are you sure? she said the butler said so. I couldn't deal with it anymore this is torture.....but then I remembered it always was torture since “it” happened I tried to make it through this lifestyle but it can't work and there's nothing I can do about it, so I cried silently to sleep.
The next 3 day around 10:30pm I asked késa and bray a question. Are you insane said késa, we can't just walk out and expect they will let us! Quiet you didn't let me finish. ‘Yes it is, it's too risky’. But the other day I overheard that the runaway slaves sometimes make it to canada. ‘Exactly sometimes, we are staying here tell her Bray’. Why are we staying here (I said) to survive? If we stay here we won't survive. ‘Its better then getting killed in the wild késa said’.

To me it wasn't in a sort of way and I refuse to be treated like a wild animal forced to do labor and payed with scraps and misery. So when everyone was asleep I ran away to the unknown the sad part is that I can't take this journal with me so im going to put it near késas spot when i'm done so this is the end of my journal and maybe my life but it is worth it, anything from this life. So I wish the best to késa and bray and hopefully I didn't get you in too much trouble, im sorry.