ESCAPE!! | Teen Ink

ESCAPE!!

By ellamei2001 BRONZE, San Jose, California
ellamei2001 BRONZE, San Jose, California

Escape! A Tale About World War II

Introduction:
It was about 2:00 in the afternoon when the bombs were dropped. The city’s alarm, the most ear-splitting sound anyone had ever heard, blared throughout the city of Munich. The buildings came crumbling down, the people screaming and searching to find somewhere underground to take shelter. There was absolutely nothing interesting happening in the world until a terrible crisis fell upon Europe. Hitler. The stupid mustached man that didn’t know the slightest feeling of sentiment or love. The first thing that probably went through his head at the sight of this carnage was “die, you unworthy scum.”

The Story Begins...
Lara stared out the window not doing anything. She only sat there and stared. Stared at the dark clouds outside, stared at the wind flowing through the grass and trees, stared at the world that, to her at least, had just lost all luster. If not for the occasional twitch, she might as well have been a statue. There was some shuffling and digging through closets nearby.
“Now aren’t I THE most handsome soldier in the history of Germany,” said a deep voice. She turned her head around to see the most annoying and weirdest older brother in the world. Kai. He struck a pose and walked around the room assuming the strangest moves humanity had ever seen. Though Kai was 4 years older, he certainly didn’t look the age. When he was still in school, everybody thought he was a 6th grader or something. Lara just turned her head back, continued staring through the glass, and utterly ignored her older sibling. What else was there to do? Kai finally walked over and set a arm on her shoulder. Tears started rolling like little droplets of rain down her cheek.
“Hey, don’t cry. I’ll only be gone for who knows how long,” Kai smiled even though there was nothing to smile about. For some reason it didn’t look too forced. Lara just buried her face in her hands and cried, the tears pooling in her palms. Kai sighed and sat down next to her.
“Look at me, Lara. There is nothing I can do to change any of this. I don’t want to leave you alone at home either. But it’s my job. Since mom and dad died in that huge car wreck, it has been my job to run this house and take care of you. I hate this war. I hate this Hitler dude that has been killing people. I don’t want to work for him in the military but I have to. I can’t bring you with me. They would never let a 15 year old girl join the military. Listen to me. Don’t do anything stupid like trying to follow me or join the army. Stay at home, buy a dog or cat or something and play with it. Do not forget to eat. If I come home and you are skinnier, I will pound some fat into you. Do you copy?” Kai grinned. Lara glanced up looking much better. Her eyes were getting kind of red from crying.
“Yes sir, I do copy,” She replied, lifting her hand just above her eyebrows in a salute.
Then it dawned on her. Kai had used the word “if”. That meant that there was a possibility that he might never come back. The tears started flowing again as the bells rang. A signal for all the chosen young people to start saying their ‘goodbyes’ and ‘I’m sorry I’ll never see you again’.

Lara opened her eyes, and staring at her was a single white envelope that must’ve gotten through the window. She carefully took out the letter and read the few words written on the page.
Sorry. Your brother is dead.

There was suddenly a still and shocking silence. For a few seconds she stared at the note. No, no, no. That wasn’t possible. But……….it was time to shake off the delusions. As the full impact of reality fell on her, she sank to the floor. Then yet again, she lowered her face into her hands and wept.
The next morning, she was still dressed from the night before. Her tears had barely dried.  She somberly changed into fresh clothes and heard a knock on the door. She walked over and peered through the window. There, standing on her front steps, were a few German soldiers. She froze. “What do they want?” She thought to herself. There was another knock. A more persistent one. She slowly opened the door and with a wicked grin, they caved in on her.

I wrote this short story for a school writing project. It's plot is historical fiction but the story is completely made up. I wrote this in a day so there might be a few errors.