The Red Thistle | Teen Ink

The Red Thistle

By thebigJ BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska
thebigJ BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska

Long ago Scotland was not ruled by kings like England, but was instead controlled by the kilted plaid tartan dressed clans of the highlands.  Even after Scotland had its first kings, the clans pledged no loyalty to them and their loyalties remained to their Clan Chiefs.  These Ancient Clans always fought each other and began the great war-like tradition of Scotland.  During the mid-1700s, the German protestant Hapsburg monarchy ruled England and Scotland after the glorious revolution de-throned the Catholic Stuart monarchy.  The king of England still has no power over the Scottish clans after almost a hundred years of attempts and wars. 

A meeting of a few Clan Chiefs takes place on the shores of Erisky as they wait for the arrival of the exiled prince Charles Stuart or, as the Scots called him, Bonnie prince Charlie.  The Clans wondered what his plan will be.  An argument amongst the chiefs occurs and Chief McDonald of Clan Donald addresses the council to quell them down.

“Long have we dealt with these German pretenders!” He said.
“Aye, but two times have we tried to return the Stuarts to the throne and two times have we failed.” The old grizzled chief Robertson replied.
“All we can do is try again.” McDonald replied.
The ship carrying the young prince lands.  As the Prince reaches shore he addresses the Chiefs.
“I crowned Prince Charles Stuart, the rightful king of England, the king of Scotland, the Prince of Wales and Lord of the Isle, thank you for coming here today.” The Prince said.
“It is our duty to support a true Catholic heir my lord” McDonald said.
“We don’t need a king!” Chief Fraser yelled.
Then much yelling and arguing occurred and someone in the crowd shouted “Go home!”
“I am home!” Prince Charles replied.
The crowd quieted and listened to the prince.
“I ask of you who will follow me south to London to punish these German dogs?” The Prince asked.
All the clan chiefs pledged their loyalty and gave him the name “Bonnie Prince Charlie” and he return the favor by calling them his “Royal Bluebonnets”.
Meanwhile in Argyll the Duke of Cumberland was sent to negotiate with the powerful Clan Campbell as well as the chief of clan Sutherland.  The negotiation went a bit rough.
“All we ask is your loyalty again.” The duke said.
“Aye, again!” Chief Campbell stated.
“Three wars we have followed you and for what? A few guns and promise of satisfaction!” Chief Sutherland said.
“Gentlemen please!” The duke pleaded.
“You’ve got our answer!” Chief Campbell yelled.
The two-tartan covered Chiefs exited the room with anger, but the duke knew they would eventually side with England again.  It was just a matter of the price.
At the camp of Prince Charles, clans began coming to support and pledge their loyalty.  A small group of Irish and Welsh mercenaries comes in, at first their motives are unclear as they are suspected to be assassins.
“What do you want?” Chief McDonald asked.
The Irish leader then introduced himself as Fearghal Mannachaian.
“I don’t want to know your name. I want to know what you’re here for!” Chief McDonald again stated.
“I want the chance to beat a few English men to bloody damn pulp!” Mannachain replied.
Prince Charlie then came out of his tent and spoke to Mannachain.
“To whom do your loyalties belong?” Prince Charles asked.
“To the highest bidder.”Mannachain replied.
“Very well I will pay you quit handsomely for your services.” Prince Charles replied.
The mercenaries were welcomed into the camp and joined the rising rebellion.

The next morning the army began its march south.  With dozens of clans now following him, Prince Charles was ready to challenge the King of England, King George the second.  As the army marched south, a few lowland clans also joined and the morale was very good.  They achieved great victory at Preston pans and headed south towards London, but they feared no more support would come, so they headed back north where Charles decided to consolidate his power.  Near the border, Chief McDonald’s younger brother, Kael, joined the march.  The young man also brought word that a much larger English Army was waiting for them, so Prince Charles consulted his men.  They were ready to fight.

At the battlefield, the two armies faced each other.
“Steady, steady.” Charles ordered.

The English army was led by the Duke of Cumberland, who had finally persuaded the other clans to join him.  As the two sides faced each other, they ordered cannon fire on each other.  When the bombardment ended, the clansmen screamed and sounded up their bagpipes.  As the English were reloading, the Clan Chiefs prepared the men to charge the highland way with swords and shields.

“Get ready lads.” Chief McDonald said.
Before the charge, all the men spoke out telling of their ancestry and the great deeds they did in battle.
“Why are they doing that this time?” Charles asked.
“They’re getting ready to die.” Chief Robertson said.
Before the charge, Kael asked his ancestors to welcome him when he dies.  When all was quiet the chief yelled in Gaelic.
“Luchd!” Chief McDonald ordered.

As the men charged, the English opened fire with their muskets.  Hundreds died before they reached the English lines.  As they reached the English, swords and bayonets clashed the Highlanders fought through the first line and headed for the second one but it was a trap.  The men found themselves surrounded.  One by one, they were picked off by gunfire.  A lucky few fought their way out and retreated with Prince Charles. 

After the battle, the duke ordered all the Highlanders to be hunted down and killed, and had a message sent to the king.

“Tell my father, the king, that here at Culloden Moor, the Highland army has been defeated.  Those captured will be taken away and hung for high treason.  Their leaders have retreated into the Highlands, including this Bonnie Prince Charlie.  With that being said, it is time for the pacification of the Highlands.  Never again will the clans rise to power and no mercy shall be shown.”

At a camp up in the Highlands a small group of survivors were arguing on what to do next.  Kael McDonald was with them.

“We cannot stay here!” Kael said.
“Where will we go?” A clansman replied.
“Yes, where?” Another added.
Kael thought about his brother and he knew he was safe.  He the thought about Chief McDonald, along with others, that were on a ship with Prince Charles on the way to France.
“What of America?” Kael said.
“The new world has natives with paint on their faces who wear animal skins on their backs.” One said.
“Aye, we should fit in pretty well.” Kael smirked.
They all decided to go, but they wanted to pay their respects to their fallen clansmen before they left their homeland forever.
As they headed to the battle field, they met up with the Irishmen.
“Where are you going?” Kael asked them.
“Back home to the isle” Mannachain said.
“Where is Finnish?” Kael asked.
“He hitched a boat to France with the chiefs.  They said he would get paid handsomely as a guard.” Mannachain stated.
“Well best of luck to you” Kael said.

The two parted ways.  The men walked along the battlefield playing their pipes and praying for their fallen comrades.  As they reached the spot where most of the clansmen died a large plot of thistles grew.  They were not purple or blue, but a deep scarlet red.  Kael picked one up and stuck in in his bonnet.

“Be at peace, you brave bluebonnets” Kael sadly said.

They made their way to a port in Argyll under disguise and boarded a ship that was headed for Canada.  The men gathered on the deck and watched as their homeland faded into the distance.  The journey was long and they finally landed on the beach.  The men liked the cool air that reminded them of home.  They headed into the woods, to a fort where they would take shelter.  Kael stopped, turned around, and took out the read thistle that was in his bonnet.  He buried it in the sand, symbolizing his new roots in this new land.

This piece is a historical fiction about the last stand of the brave warrior Gaelic warrior clans of Scotlands past.