Red Comet | Teen Ink

Red Comet

February 21, 2015
By kate1918 SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
kate1918 SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
6 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Jane looked at Harrison and back at her 1963 Mercury Comet covered in mud from their adventure the night before. They had been arguing for hours about his plan. He was so sure it was an amazing idea to go. She thought otherwise but in anger continued to throw her keys as she agreed.


“You won’t regret this!” He gleamed handing over the newspaper advertisement. She looked it up and down.
“I already do.” She huffed. “3 Days of Peace and Music...Harrison it’s in 4 days how are we supposed to get to White Lake, New York and get an actual good shot of Pete Townshend.” Harrison had been a Who fan since they were called the detours. When he discovered his love for photography he knew he wanted a picture of the band to be the take off of his career. Jane knew this being his assistant for the past two years and his girlfriend for one. She couldn't deny him the jewel of his career. 


She walked over the the passenger side of the Comet. She saw the 35mm pointing right at her and covered her face with her hands. Jane knew she belonged on the other side of the lens   “God Harrison get that thing of of my face” she exclaimed, proceeding to shove his arm.


“The light was perfect…” He trailed on with excuses as she zoned out on her own daydream. She could see it, her pictures in magazines with her name right below them. She would travel the world capturing moments, moments she could hold on to forever and share with the world. She was quickly dragged back to reality with a click. She rolled her eyes and opened the glove compartment. She carefully unfolded a map with fringed edges. It was covered in blue and red stars. Red for the places she has gone and blue for the ones she hasn't but wants to. The Map looked like constellations of blue with little red comets. There was an overwhelming amount of blue.
She carefully marked out a path for the quickest way to get to Woodstock. The engine started to rumble. “Just follow 80 for a while”. She set down the map and looked out her window watching Joliet, Illinois turn into just an exit sign and then the past                                                          ------------------


Janes eye fluttered open, she turned her head towards Harrison and watched him drive. She glanced down at her watch, it was almost midnight. She had fallen asleep as they were entering Ohio. The roads were abandoned and the stars shined bright.


“Hey.. Harrison.”She cleared her throat “Are you getting tired? Do you want me to drive?” He looked at her and shook his head no but reached for her with his right hand. She nodded and drowsily scooted over resting her head on his shoulder and fell back to sleep. He kept driving with her hand in his.
    -----------------------
Harrison woke up with  the suns rays beating against his eyelids. He had made it all the way to Pennsylvania before giving up to his sleep deprivation. He opened the car door and stepped out onto the cement. Beyond the parked trucks and small diner there was a wall of pine trees. Jane walked towards him with a coffee from the rest stops diner.


She smiled at him “You’re up. I bought us some coffee we only have a few hours left to drive.”
“You should have woken me up earlier it’s almost one, I need all the time I can get to figure out how I’ll get the shot.”Harrison said slightly irritated. He walked back to the Comet leaving Jane standing there.
-----------------------
  “So this is it” Jane mocked at the field. Not even stepping out of the car she put her sunglasses back on and lifted her feet on to the dashboard “I doubt any of those guys setting up will know anything but knock yourself out”


Harrison shook his head and walked down towards the half set up stage. There were already people their setting up tents. Men with long hair smiled at him and offered him joints. Harrison wasn't sure who could help him get the picture he needed. After thirty minutes of asking random strangers if they could help him, he struck gold. A man with a David Crosby like mustache was  holding Keith Moon’s bass drum and a  middle aged woman with ill- proportioned limbs holding one of his mounted toms. His eyes grew wide as he sped towards them bumping into a few peace loving jerks along the way.


Out of breathe Harrison stopped in front of the mustache man.”I...am..Harrison”
He put his hand out for a shake.
“I would but..” he said looking at his hand. “ My hands are kind of full.” Harrison looked down at the drum. “I am Garry and this is Sharon, can we help you with something?”
Harrison smiled “ I think you can”.
   -------------------------
Jane was startled when she heard the car door slam close. She looked over at Harrison surprised to see he wasn't angry. His eyebrows were scrunched together and his eyes seemed to be cloudy with trouble. 
“It’s ok. I think we both knew that it was a long shot..”she began before  he interrupted her “No. I can get us back stage and everything.” he said unenthusiastically
“That’s amazing how did you do it?” she asked
“Well all we have to do is help some Who groupies steal LSD  from a pharmacy.” he calmly replied while turning the ignition.


“Wait what? First off do they even have that stuff at pharmacies and second of...what?” Jane wasn't sure what to think.  Would Harrison put his own future at risk for a photo? Did he honestly think she would go along with it?
“Yeah I guess they use it in therapy now..Jane please they said all we have to do is be a couple of extra hands and drivers it will be fine.” he looked away from her. He knew it was wrong, definitely wrong just to ask.  She grabbed his face and felt the hairs from his scruff under her fingertips. She forced him to look into her eyes.When she looked into his ocean blue eyes she realized, like the stars on the map they were a place she always wanted to be.


“I’m in.”

  

-----------------------------------------
Sirens blazed through the silence. Everyone looked around meeting each others eyes...and ran. Jane dropped the pills and headed for the exit, but someone grabbed her hand. It was Harrison.


“We should go through the back it’s closed off. They would have to go through the building to get to us.” He explained already heading towards a different direction. She started crying as she ran with him. Her life was over. Harrison pushed open the heavy metal door to be surrounded by a high wired fence. She cried harder. Harrison turned to her


“Jane.” he said calmly as she continued to ugly cry “JANE” he yelled grabbing her face in his hands forcing her to look into his blue eyes “It will be ok….we will be ok. Go.Go under the fence. I will be right behind you.” she didn't budge” Jane I love you please I need you to go.” He kissed her and then shoved her down towards the small opening in the fence.


She crawled through with only a few scrapes. Harrison began to go through the cranny. She turned to look at him and realised he was stuck with only an arm,part of his chest and his head through.


“Pull me through” Harrison grunted trying to push himself out. Like the start of this journey Jane looked at him and then to the street in the near distance He saw this. Their eyes met. She knew that through that look he was pleading with her to free him. She looked to the street and ran. She did not think just ran and all she heard was a distant scream that sounded like her name that turned into white noise and the sound of her heart beating.
She ran till she couldn't anymore sat down on a bus bench and fell asleep.


--------------------------
Jane woke up on August 16th and walked back to the place where Harrison had parked the Comet. She landed with a thumb as she sat. Tired she turned on the ignition. The radio came on with high static so she slammed her hand down on the radio to turn it off. She looked in the backseat for her sunglasses, but instead found the 35mm. 


She stood front and center a hand reach away from the stage. She was so captivated by the music she almost forgot why she was there. Snap after snap she took pictures of  Janis Joplin, Sly and the Family Stone, and The Who. She was in love with every moment, it didn't bother her that it was a little too dark or that Abbie Hoffman as an asshole. She swayed and she changed film. At the end of the night she past out from exhaustion in the back of the comet


She decided she was going to go home and pack. She was no longer just talking the talk. She would drive up to Chicago and knock on the door of her old high school friend in hopes she could crash on the couch, and start a new life as a photographer.


    --------------------------

She couldn't help but stare at the photograph, like a drop of rain in the desert this would save her. Save her from the endless loop of routine, husband,children,cleaning,cooking, withering away into her mother.  She could finally get what she wanted...be who she wanted to be. As she walked down that grassy hill she saw a person from the corner of her eye. Someone who was walking with her. When she looked up she realized it was just her own shadow.