I have a dream | Teen Ink

I have a dream

February 16, 2015
By Shira Fournier BRONZE, West Orange, New Jersey
Shira Fournier BRONZE, West Orange, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have a dream
I have a dream to make a difference. Not something huge, but a difference. A difference that would have people thanking me for the little difference I made.
I have a dream.
I have a dream to be the best person I can be. I don’t want to compare myself to anyone else anymore, I want to be me. I just want to go about my day without having to worry about what people think of me. I want to walk the streets with a stride that I only I have.
I have a dream.
I have a dream be equal to the people who thought I was scum. To be able to say hi to them without them ignoring my every fiber. I want to be able to walk into a restaurant without having fifty eyes stare at me just because of the way I look.
I have a dream.
I have a dream to become the first colored president. I want people to look at me and think that anything is possible. That anyone can do anything they set the hearts and minds to.
I have a dream.
Those are four words that ran through my mind when I heard that the legend Martin Luther King Jr. was shot.  He wasn’t just another one of us who rioted and screamed for freedom, he went up and actually made a difference. Not just a small difference but a big difference. A big difference that helped people. He walked down the street with stride. He taught us that we could walk down the street with the same stride that everyone else has. No one ignored him, everyone knew the name Martin Luther King Jr. He taught us that anything is possible, even one of us becoming a president. Anything is possible, absolutely anything. Even the impossible, like having our thoughts heard or having our hero shot, can become possible.