An Encounter at Charing Cross | Teen Ink

An Encounter at Charing Cross

February 19, 2015
By Anonymous

Charing Cross Station
London, England
November 22, 1889

“But when’s she gonna be here?” Jamie whined incessantly.
“She’ll get here when she get’s here. You know Aunt Jo likes to take her time. Alice, maybe you can talk some sense into him.” Their mother said, turning towards the eldest.
“But I want her here now. I hate waiting.” The boy huffed, crossing his arms.
His sister giggled as their mother set down her purse and swung him onto her hip, “But just imagine all the fun you two will have!”
Jamie determinedly kept his pout.
His sister moved her lips towards his ear and spoke mock-quietly, “You know, Aunt Jo always brings the best gifts, even better than Grandad.”
Jamie seemed to perk-up considerably at this.
“Surely that’s not the only reason you like to see her?” her mother said.
Jamie nodded his head vigorously as Alice began to speak, “Unlike Jamie here, I simply love to talk to Aunt Jo. She’s absolutely fascinating, writing novellas and such. I want to be just like her.”
“Be careful what occupation you choose, Alice.” her mother said, “Authors seldom make enough money to live independently, especially one of our sex.”
“But what about Jane Austen? Or Charlotte Bronte!? I simply love Jane Eyre.”
“How about someone alive, dear.”
“Then how about Nellie Bly?”
“Nellie Bly? What a fool that girl is. She’s absolutely barbaric. Running around getting herself into trouble.” she said, her voice beginning to rise, “And this eighty day trip around the world is complete nonsense. Everyone knows Verne was just making up a load of poppycock. Perhaps that’s acceptable in America, but here we all know the truth; It simply can’t be done!”
Alice crossed her arms and turned away from her mother, “I think she can.” she grumbled.
Jamie began to tap on his mother’s collar, “Mummy, I’m hungry.”
“Oh, okay. Alice, go with him, make sure he doesn’t get into trouble.” She set Jamie down before handing him a few small coins, “Off you go, you two. Don’t wander too far. And don’t talk to strangers!”
Jamie set off running through the smokey train station, ducking under bags and briefcases, making people stumble as not to crush him.
“Jamie!” Alice said, chasing after him.
He slipped past an elderly couple before quickly turning a corner and running face-first into a checkered skirt.
He fell back and dropped his money with an “Oof!”
“Oh! Well, excuse you, little sir!” a soft American voice chided from above.
Jamie picked himself up before leaning down and searching for the coins.
“Are you well?” the woman said
“Well enough.” Jamie said, cheeks ruddy.
Alice came running around the corner, “Jamie! Don’t run off like that! Ooh, sometimes I could just smack you.” She grabbed the coins that Jamie had collected and began to apologize to the woman, her face still down to the ground giving Jamie a scolding look, “I’m very sorry, miss. My brother here seems to have lost his way away from me.”  She finished her sentence by looking up and staring dumbfoundedly into the soft face of her own personal hero. “Oh my goodness! You’re Nellie Bly! Ma'am, it surely is an honour. I absolutely adore your work. Your reports on Blackwell, oh and Mexico! Astounding! Of course I’ve read almost all your other writings for the World as well but-”
Nellie chuckled, “It’s always a pleasure to meet a fan. You know, you’re the first person on my journey to recognize me so far.”
“How could anyone possibly pass your face! You’re the best reporter of the nineteenth century!”
“Now I wouldn’t go as far as to say that, miss-?” Her voice raised, requesting a response.
“Oh, where are my manners? Alice. My name’s Alice.” She stuck out her hand and shook Nellie’s politely.
“Well Alice, it’s been a pleasure to meet you. Really though, I must be going. You know, traveling the world and the like.”
“Oh of course. My apologies.” Alice stepped back to let her pass. “Good luck, Miss Bly.” she chirped.
“And to you, Alice. Writing is not always an easy career.”
Alice stared, “How did you-”
“I see things others do not. Surely you of all people would know that.” She grinned and walked along the platform towards a stopped train, “I hope our paths cross again one day, my friend.”
“Me too.” whispered Alice as Nellie stepped onto the train to complete her three month journey.


The author's comments:

Nellie Bly is my hero. She will always be my hero. It's a shame we were born in different centuries.