Ripper

I approach her slowly, letting my money rattle around quietly in my pocket. My shoes make the now-familiar clicking sound against the empty London alleyway stones as I step forward.

"How much have you got, mister?" she asks, painted face bright with the blush of a thousand pinches and presses, hair piled on top of her head in a bun already falling apart from the night's activities.

"What will you take?" My palm dips into my pocket, and I let some silver flash into her desperate eyes. The taunt of money makes her gaze grow in intensity, and another brown curl falls from the mess on her head.

"A pound," she says, licking her lips in either nervousness or anticipation.

I agree with a short nod of my head, letting my dark hair sway about my face. I won't be paying tonight, either way.

"Then, mister-"

"You may call me Jack," I say, stopping in front of her and touching her ruddy chin gently. This one's complexion is far from fair, marked by blemishes and blush. But the face... No, the face won't matter greatly; I may leave it. I force myself to lean down slightly to her height. She stands around five feet, and I at six, making this the perfect cover. My lips are just above hers, and if she tilts her head upward, the neck will be exposed, and-

The creature closes her eyes and touches my face. I do my best not to shudder as she presses her cold lips to mine hotly, nimble fingers already searching my pockets for the glint of coins.
I toss aside her hand and grab the knife hidden in my left pocket, sliding it upwards and into the woman's throat almost effortlessly, making two thin cuts just on the left side.

She doesn't even scream, simply dripping into my arms like a rag doll, letting me thrust her body against the dark brown fence. This one is certainly less messy than the last, but I am not finished yet. I lay her down and cut into the rough fabric of her dress, humming quietly to myself.

My hair falls into my face more than once as I work, and I toss it back resolutely, hiding it under my hat and flipping the bills so they face outward correctly. The bags under my eyes are illuminated in the fresh light spreading from the east. It must be almost six in the morning by now, and I barely have the front of the dress off.

Reaching into my pocket, I pull out the scalpel and clean off any remaining blood, cutting into her stomach like paper. My eyes sweep her insides quickly, and I begin to sever the uterus from the organs around it. My fingers are almost covered in blood, and I frown at the sight. Dirt, grime, filth... Disgusting.

Straightening, I wipe my hands on my dark jacket and shove the uterus into my pocket. Then I pull out my hand again and slide it against her still-warm skin, quietly removing the brass rings from her undeserving fingers, while my other hand forages for coins somewhere on my person.

"Shall two farthings be enough, my lady?" I ask mockingly, throwing the money at her. Her eyes are closed, and she gives no answer, looking less and less like a woman of the night as the light of the day grows.

Good morning, London.

Good night, Jack.

AthenaByFortune This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 20, 2015 at 9:24 am
This was.. grim. In a good way. It really captured the tone of the whole Jack the Ripper legend. The gruesomeness of it, as well as the terrible gracefulness and the twisted mind of the killer himself. A great point of view to take, and you managed to fit it all into such a short little snippet. Great story!

Amai-kun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you very much, Athena. I tried my best to capture how I felt the killer's thoughts would have looked like, and I'm very glad you enjoyed this.

JtatsuThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think I'm going to be sick... Which means you did a good job with the overall graphics and details of your story. Good job!

Ahh, I didn't mean to make people sick, though ;-; But thank you very much *gives bucket*

MalaikaJ said...
Wow. That was really disgusting and creepy. I'm not really sure what the whole point of that was, unless it was just supposed to be gross and disturbing. Maybe it's just because I don't know who Jack the Ripper is. Your writing is really good thought, I'm just not a fan of the story.

The point was only to write, really. It's historical fiction, so it details Jack the Ripper, yes. I understand you not liking it, though.

BreeZephyr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2015 at 11:06 am
This really creeped me out...I have goosebumps. That said (despite the fact that my gag reflex was repeatedly triggered while reading this, lol), you wrote convincingly enough to evoke a reaction in readers, and not everyone can do that. Plus, your writing flowed very smoothly, which definitely shows your skill as a writer, and you gave your protagonist a unique voice. I loved the description "bright with the blush of a thousand pinches and presses", btw...it gives a little insight into the life... (more »)

Thank you very much. I'll keep writing, then!

CristelSnowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 19, 2015 at 5:58 am
omg I love this! This is one of my favor pieces on this site. Such vivid details and excellent descriptions. It is as if I am witnessing the act myself...which is so cool. Not many writers are able to do this perfectly..but you did so! This was so worth the reading :) Once I started reading it...I couldn't stop! That's how good it was! You have a bright future ahead of you as a writer! keep up the great work and don't stop.

Feb. 19, 2015 at 6:17 am
Thank you very much, Muppet Cristel. I hope I can make more people feel that way.

rabab said...
Feb. 19, 2015 at 5:40 am
good work please comment my poem on peaceful karachi TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/761441/peaceful-karachi/