Wanted | Teen Ink

Wanted

By Weashnaw BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
Weashnaw BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Wanted

Ice and frost on the window, as I looked out it. I could barely see outside, but was curious to see what it was like, it was just so cold. It was a cold morning in the yukon. Just the same as any other day. So cold you wanted to quit, forget you were here and go home, but I wasn’t going home without what I came here for. Without what everyone came here for. That shiney, precious yellow metal... gold. I had tried my luck running my own camp here with a couple of buddies I had come with. We weren’t very successful, so they cut some people loose, and I was one. It was devastating that I was out of a job and I thought I had lost all hope in getting rich. But as I lay in bed several cold nights back, I forged an ingenious plan. While I lay in bed I thought, how could I make it home? I bear very little money, no job and no way of getting money or gold. The only thing I carried with me is the little money I retain, the gun I had for protection, my hunting knife and the clothes on my back. How could I get home or make money with that? Wait, who said you have to do things legally...?
I will not go home without that precious metal or money, so it looks like I have no choice. Now that I had a plan, I could rest the night without having to worry about what I was to do the next morning... I woke up this morning, slightly chilled because of the cold night, feeling ready about the day ahead of me. I walked across the room in which I stayed the night, in a nearby town to my old camp, and lit the wood stove which the inn had provided in all the rooms. An instant heat blast in the room, which toasted my body lightly and warmed it. I then got to it. I gathered all my belongings and prepared for what was about to come. I sheathed my knife into its leather case on my hip. I loaded my two guns I had, my model 1894 rifle and my revolver. Any other ammunition I had was at my side for when I needed it. I was ready. I put my revolver in its case on my hip and slung my rifle over my shoulder.
I opened the door and walked into the sharp and bitter cold. It was a blizzard out. visibility was low and so was the temperature. -7 degrees fahrenheit. All though it was a blizzard and as cold as could be, the weather was the perfect cover for my plan. The wind would cut the sound of my shots and the blizzard would cover me from being seen easily. It was a perfect day for what was about to come. I had heard of a gold mining camp that supposedly was doing very well. I heard while in the bar last night of men talking about this camp and how much gold they had found. I knew last night which camp was my target today.
I walked some miles in order to get to the camp. When I had reached the camp, I scouted it to see what I was going against and put together my plan of attack. There weren’t that many people here. No more than ten people, which made this hard but it shouldn’t be a problem. My plan was simple as it seemed, attempt to do things with stealth, if I get caught then pull my guns.
“Well, here goes nothing.” I said to myself.
I pulled my knife and walked slowly through the camp. I came up behind the guy who was furthest out from the others and that no one had an eye on. I raised my knife, grabbed his mouth, and within seconds one man was down. I did this with the other couple of men. I finally came to a point where there was three of them left. They were all sitting around a lonely fire in the middle of the camp. The blizzard raged on. I knew that I had no choice of stealth here. I pulled my rifle. I aimed down my sights at one of the men. My model 1894 was a lever action rifle, making it easy to take out all three of them quickly a breeze. I did just that. It had seemed as if timed had slowed for me to make it easy. I pulled the trigger, one fell. I quickly pulled the lever back and in, then shot the second man. I did the same with the third man, a swift pull back and in, then a third shot goes off. The three men fell almost one after another with my quick shooting. the only one with the time to react was the third man, and even then he couldn’t draw his gun in the time he was given. I proceeded to walk towards the cabin which the located feet from the fire.
I opened the door and stepped out of the raging blizzard into the warm and comfy cabin. The Fire was lit and the cabin was inviting. There was chairs surrounding the fire, wood frames with bear skin to sit on. Behind the chairs was a fine, cedar wood table. It was carved with intricate designs on the legs and sides of the table. I couldn’t care for that really, what mattered to me was the beautiful item which was on top of the table. Gold. My god, did they have a lot of gold. Sitting on a piece of deerskin was the gold. These guys must of had a lot of money, they had already melted the gold into bars. They did all the hard work for me. Now I didn’t have to melt down the gold and form it into a bar. Not to mention that this bar was really well done, meaning it will sell for way more when I go to sell it. I pulled out the small sack that I carried inside of my big sack. I opened it and put the bar inside. It barely fit because of its massive size. I then turned around and left the cabin, back into the blizzard.
The thought crossed my mind, these men must be rich. I checked all of the bodies and took anything of value that they had. These men were loaded. I picked up probably $90 from the dead men. I then left the camp and headed towards the train station. It seemed like it had gotten colder as the day had gone on.
When I got to the station, there was a dial clock. Several hours had passed since I had got up that morning. Just in time to make the train. I looked over on a bulletin board that was near the clock. I couldn’t help but notice a paper that stood out from all others. I walked closer and grabbed the paper off the board. It read Wanted: Otto Williams. Reward: $300. I then took the paper with me as I saw the train start to move. I didn’t pay for a ticket, for I knew I would be too late. I started to run through the snow as the train sped up. I saw that one of the box cars was slightly open, so I jumped. I grabbed the door, put my foot in the opening and slid into the car. It was transporting food items, various meats of animals in the yukon. There were wood stoves, salt, meat and everything else in this train car. I was set for my trip, wherever this train was to take me. I also noticed an oil lamp on the floor. I turned around and looked out the open door. I looked at the paper again. Wanted: Otto Williams.
“It’s nice to know i’m wanted” I whispered to myself.
I turned around and grabbed an oil lamp on the floor and lit it. I put together some boxes and animal skins to make a more comfortable area for myself. It was a long ride ahead. I then proceeded to slam the car door shut and lock it. As I sat down in that area I had made, I then had one constant thought on my mind. Something that would never leave my mind. Something that has and will change my life forever. Wanted...