Abraham's Surprise | Teen Ink

Abraham's Surprise

December 7, 2014
By Trinity Milburn BRONZE, Noble, IL, Illinois
Trinity Milburn BRONZE, Noble, IL, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Trinity Milburn
Historical Fiction Story
Abrahams Surprise
Bam! Abe just slammed the door. You could tell he was mad by looking at his scaled face. Mary, Abraham’s beautiful intelligent wife was stomping her heels towards him.
“I had a hard day at work, two men got fired,” Abe complained to Mary.
Mary was Abraham’s beautiful intelligent wife. They have been married for about four and a half years.
“You think your day was hard? Well, you should stay home with three little devils! Mark drug bunch of mud through the kitchen!” Mary yelled.
Mark was the oldest son with dark brown hair and green eyes. They also had another son and one daughter. Sara was the second oldest, with long golden hair and blue eyes. John, the youngest, had blonde hair and the prettiest sky blue eyes.
Mary finished, “John threw a baseball through the neighbor’s window and Sara stained all my church dresses.”
“I can clean up the mess and pay for the window. I will go to the Cleaners tomorrow for your dresses,” Abe said.
Mary yelled louder,” I do not want to clean up the mess or pay for the window. I do not want you to go to the Cleaners tomorrow either. I just want you to control these kids!
“Okay, okay,” Abe signed.
“I am going to go lie down and relax,” Mary said calmly.
Mary went to her room and eventually fell asleep. Abe started to get the kids calmed down for bed. Later that night, Abe wrote in his journal:
“I came home today and Mary was very stressed out. Mary said it was the kids but that’s always how they act. Mary also slept over dinner. I think something isn’t right with her.”
The next morning, Abe woke up when Mary was still sleeping. The kids were playing outside in the yard. Mark was chasing Sara with a dead bird. John was trying to play baseball.
“Mark stop now! Put the bird down and go wash your hands. Sara, please stop screaming. You’re going to wake up your mother.  John, I do not want you to play baseball today,” Abe ordered.
Abe gave all three kids something to keep them busy for the day. Sara got a new book. John and Mark got a new train to share.
“I want you to start reading this. When I get home, I will try to read with you before bed,” Abe told Sara.
Abe looked at the boys and said, “You can play with this outside. I want you to play outside all day.  Leave your mother alone! Do you understand?”
John asked, “We have to stay outside all day?”
“Yes sir!” Abe answered.
“What if we need to go to the bathroom?” Mark questioned sarcastically.
Abe laughed a little and answered, “Yes, but that is the only time you can go in.”
John asked another question, “What about lunch?”
“John I am sure your mother will take care of that, that is, if she ever wakes up,” Abe answered again.
Abe walked slowly to his horse, waved goodbye, and left. Sara went under a tree and started reading. John and Mark played with the train.
By the time Abe got home that evening, Sara was in the kitchen with Mary. John and Mark were still outside, but that were beating a dead squirrel with the new train they got that morning.
Abe looked at his dear wife then chuckled and said, “What are we going to do with our boys?”
Mary trued around, rolled her eyes and said back, “Now you know what I am talking about.”
Later late that night, everybody in house was sleeping except Mary; she was in the bathroom throwing up. Abe woke up, but ignored, because he thought maybe it was something she ate.
A few weeks passed, Abe woke up earlier then usual. He wrote in his journal:
“I have noticed that Mary gained a couple pounds. I asked her about it, but she said, ‘I have been so stressed out lately because of the kids all I can do is eat.’ I thought that was a strange reason, but I just went with it.”
Later that day, Abe came home from work. Mary walked to Abe and was crying. Abe did not know why.
Abe comfort Mary and asked, “Why are you crying, my love?”
“I burned dinner!” Mary sobbed.
“Why are you crying about that? It’s not a big deal. I will clean it up and make something else,” Abe told Mary.
Mary kept crying, “No, no I burnet diner!”
Abe tried to cheer Mary up. “It is fine, it is fine. Go lay down. I will take care of dinner.”
Mary walked to her room sobbing. She laid down on the bed, rolled over, and fell asleep. Abe went to the room quietly. When Abe walked in, he saw Mary had a hard time getting comfortable. Abe had seen over the past few weeks that Mary was not acting herself.
The next day, Abe came home early from work. He walked in and saw a motherly-type woman with a dark bag.
“Who is this woman in my house?” Abe asked Mary.
Mary answered, “She is a friend.”
Abe was very confused.
“Should I leave now?” the woman asked.
Mary answered the woman’s question, “Yes that would be fine.”
“Mary, why can’t you tell me what is wrong?” Abe signed and questioned.
Mary walked towards the bedroom and away from Abe. Abe followed Mary. “Why are you not answering me?” Abe questioned again.
Mary laid down on the bed. Mary looked at Abe, then rolled over, and ignored him. Abe walked over and kissed Mary on the cheek. Abe went over and opened his journal and wrote:
“I am really worried about Mary. She will not tell me anything anymore. She cried about brunt food. She sleeps all the time. I am just really worried that one day I am going to walk in the house and see something either good or bad and it will change my life!”
For the next few weeks, Abe kept seeing that same woman that was at the house the other day. Abe did not ask about it again, though.
The next day, Mary woke up and asked, “Can you take the kids to work so I can get some sleep?”
“Sure,” answered Abe.
When Abe and the kids got to work, he told the kids to sit down. John and Mark started to take all the papers off the desk and smeared ink all over them.
“John! Mark! Stop!” yelled Abe.
Sara was sitting in the comer reading her book.
“Sara, thank you for being good,” Abe smiled and said.
That night when Abe came home, Mary was still sleeping. Abe put the kids to bed; then he also went to bed.
The morning of August 21, 1850 Abe woke up to go to work. The kids were still sleeping. Mary was nowhere to be found. Abe thought that maybe Mary was at that one woman’s house. When Abe got home, he opened the door and Abe’s mouth dropped.
Mary looked up at Abe, and said, “It is a boy!”