Airborne of WWII | Teen Ink

Airborne of WWII

November 30, 2014
By DConroy BRONZE, MARYSVILLE, Ohio
DConroy BRONZE, MARYSVILLE, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The airborne of WWII was a struggle many thought it would fail. Did It?

U.S airborne was a long shot many thought it would fail.  A General of the U.S Army said “I don’t believe in the Airborne Division.” It was Risky but many did it. Many planes were blown out of the air but, it didn't stop the solders. It was an idea for behind enemy lines attack. It was a dangerous mission but we fought though the fire at are faces. “Stand, Hook up, green light, GO! GO! GO!’ that was the routine. You let the wind take you. You can’t hold a gun while you’re in the air. It was hanging at your side. You were an easy target to be shot down. Some landed on solid ground. Some in trees; others in broken buildings.  You may be able to cut yourself down but usually not. Germans hear you it could be trouble.
ALL I CAN SAY IS RELY ON YOUR SQUAD!
  
I was a solder that was in the 82nd airborne division. It was scary jumping in to battle not knowing your fate. We thought we could die, but it was a chance we are going to take. We are needed in the war. I always told myself “I signed myself-up I was willing to take that chance. I chose my fate it was to jump hundreds of miles behind enemy lines. If I was wrong I could only blame myself.”  I saw my friends panic and fall then they didn’t have a chance to pull the string. Some parachutes didn’t deploy. Some planes blew out of the sky. I said to myself “look for the flares! Look for the flares!”
I was lucky on Normandy they used a mortar and it was a direct hit. I pulled my chute and grabbed my friend attached him to mine. We hit the ground and I put him in a safe area and waited for the medic to land. I made a decoy flare. I put a bomb under my bag. They picked it up it was a great trap. It alarmed the others. We took the battery because they left it open. We heard the Nazis coming. I was thinking. I said “get your knifes and hide.” We slit their throats. I heard a tank I was happy to hear it. I screamed “yes are men!” in joy. We took a step out. It was a party of Nazis. I took the machine gun and hopped for the best. Then I heard gun shots from inside but my team was no more. Then in blacked out then woke up. I was in a hospital. They turned on the T.V and heard “THE WAR IS OVER! THE WAR IS OVER!” I looked back my best friend was on the other bed and waved to me and it was over!


The author's comments:

I personally love ww2 ive know alot since I was 3 and 3 years ago I found my talent is writing so i wrote about somthing i know and llove and i hope to pase it on to everyone