Welcome to My Labrynth | Teen Ink

Welcome to My Labrynth

Welcome to My Labyrinth
     My stormy grey eyes darted around, looking frightened at the concrete walls, decorated with thick green vines. I bounced on the balls of my feet once. I heard the sharp clicks of hooves stepping on the cool dank floor. So this is how I’m going out, huh? By the hands of the Minotaur, the half-man half-bull monster. What in Hades name did I ever do to deserve this? I, Azalea, had never done a cursed thing in my life to have this thrown upon me!
     I take a cautious step backwards. No, I did not trip. I’m not that big of a klutz nor am I that cliché! I turned on my heels and began to run. I knew in my head that I would never be able to outrun the beast whom inhabits the Labyrinth. I was not about to give up so easily though. I had lived twenty-three years of my life and I was going to try my hardest to keep counting as the years go by.
     My lungs screamed for air, but I was not stopping. I did not look back. I kept my grey eyes trained on the area in front of me. I slowed to a steady jog when I noticed the deep red blood smeared across the floor, the blood of another victim who could not survive through another day in this Labyrinth. I tried to step around the blood. The tail end of my chiton grazed the dark liquid, staining the end of the cream material. No! No, no, no! The Minotaur would pick up that stench as soon as he was in range. I took out my small bronze dagger. I cut the stained material off the bottom and dropped it to the ground.
       I felt like I was being body slammed by Hercules. I felt coarse brown fur against my olive skin. The Minotaur was upon me.
     The panting echoed in my ears. I bit my top lip to keep the rising scream inside my mouth. I could see my frightened expression in the reflection of the Minotaur’s brass nose ring. The hot breath hit my cheek as I turned my head and squeezed my eyes tightly closed.
      “Welcome to my Labyrinth, child,” he growled harshly. “Now, please, say good-bye to this world you have come to know as yours.”
     A breath collected in my throat as if it was my final breath and the moment it left my lips I would be dead. That’s what’s funny, isn’t it? This probably will be my last breath and there is nothing I can do to stop the impending death that will soon overcome me.
      Harsh laughter fills my ears. “Did you really believe that you had the ability to fight me with a blade? You are as ignorant as the rest of your race!” I feel my dagger taken from my tightly closed hand. “This really is a shame Ms. Azalea.”
      My black eyebrows knitted together in confusion. “Yes, I know your name, you petty fool. I take the liberty of knowing the names of all my victims,” the Minotaur sneers into my ear.
     The cool touch of the bronze dagger feels like such a lovely sensation against my warm skin. My breath quickened. I wasn’t ready to die, but I knew that this was it. The Fates had my life string in their hands. I could see the hags holding their golden sheers between their bony hands as my fear escalates. I say a silent prayer to the gods before I take my last look around. I savor every inch.
      Perhaps Lord Hades will be merciful on me. Perhaps he would see the good in my short life and let me float aimlessly in the Fields of Asphodel. Maybe I really have done nothing but good in my life and will be granted into Elysium. There is strong doubt in my mind on being granted Elysium.
      I hope this goes fast. I prefer not to suffer, although, my preferences mean nothing to this beast. The glittering knife is pressed against my throat, cutting off my airways. I soon begin trying to gasp for air involuntarily. Do my lungs not understand that this is the end? Why won’t they just give up?
      Tears of despair begin to creep down my porcelain cheeks. “Do not cry, child. It will all be over soon and I will have a lovely feast on your meat,” The Minotaur whispers to me. In a quick swipe of his furry hand blood begins to seep from the now open wound of my neck. He keeps his body over mine, making sure his dinner doesn’t magically heal and run of into the Labyrinth.
     It hurts to breath. It hurts to move. It even hurts when my heart decides to beat weakly. Black spots begin to creep into the corners of my vision. They waver in and out before taking over completely. A faint snipping is heard in the back of my mind as the Fates take their sheers of gold and cut my string.

A short Historical fiction based on the Labyrinth created by Daedelus.