To My Knees | Teen Ink

To My Knees

October 29, 2014
By TheGenesisWriter SILVER, Hemet, California
TheGenesisWriter SILVER, Hemet, California
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them." -William Shakespeare


Running is all I've done since I was a boy. The army dragged me away from my old family and forced me into another filled with people just like me. At first I was against it, but after all the things our trainers put us through, the torture, the grueling drills and exercises we all became inseparable and loyal to one another. After years of training we were finally deemed warriors. A title we had longed for since the day we had arrived. A title that meant we would go to war and to war we went. All three-hundred of us shouted war chants as we marched to face our enemies at a coastal passage. Finally after days of marching we had arrived at Thermopylae and began to prepare for the fight we had been drilled for. We stood in formation, making a wall of flesh and bronze with deadly spear heads poking out in between the gaps. Then they arrived, thousands upon thousands of invaders. Preparing to storm over us like the tide poured over the rocks below me. Although their numbers were intimidating, my brothers and I stood tall and united. We stared them down and then began slamming shields against swords and yelling battle cries at them. They shook at the power of three-hundred men, hordes of men cowered before us. This, however, did not last long as they charged at our defenses, hollering like mad animals. We beat them back and with only a few losses, we were victorious! Or so I thought. They came at us again and again and again, with each wave testing how steadfast we were to defending this passage. We defended it with all our might would allow but, alas each wave strained our numbers. Friends and brothers died with each onslaught. Our wall of polished bronze became faded and dull against the beating of the hordes. Then after days of battle, I was suddenly alone. I was the only one with enough breath to stand. What went wrong? One second my brothers and I were standing tall against the hordes of faceless invaders now they are crumpled around me. We who were unbeatable are now beaten and I can not believe my own eyes or maybe it is simply I won't let myself believe. How can their bodies lay lifeless on the dark rocks while the enemy presses down on us along the cliff face with their numbers barely dented. Now with charcoal clouds over head I will lay down with my brothers but until the breath is forced from my lungs I shall continue to defend this passage. I shall honor their names and memories. Approach me cowards! It is at this moment I hear the faint sound of something whistling through the cold air. I look up and see the sky specked with a wall of black objects hurtling toward me. I stand tall as the first one hits me. Then another and another and another. Until one arrow pierces my chest through my battle-worn armor. To my knees I fall, for the archers arrow had found it’s mark. With shortened and rapid gasps I finally manage to let slip one final sigh as my sword drops to the ground, the sound loudly echoing through the narrow passage. From my knees to the floor my body fell without a noise. My last thoughts were not of hatred to the people who shot me down  or thoughts of failure. They were thoughts of gratefulness. The archer’s arrow carried me to my fallen brothers.


The author's comments:









 







Preferences
















§









1









2









3









4









5









6









7









8









9









0









-









=









Backspace









 









Tab









q









w









e









r









t









y









u









i









o









p









[









]















 











Return











 













 









capslock









a









s









d









f









g









h









j









k









l









;









'









\









 









shift









`









z









x









c









v









b









n









m









,









.









/









shift









 















 











English


















 

















































 


















alt


















alt









 
















 







Preferences