The Story of Adam | Teen Ink

The Story of Adam

October 10, 2014
By Nat13 BRONZE, Charlottetown, Other
Nat13 BRONZE, Charlottetown, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Adam
I had first seen his face on the front window of the towns clothing store. It was a wanted sign. I was immediately drawn to this boy’s image. He looked harmless; his face had soft features like an innocent angel. If I had to guess I’d say about ten years of age, just like me. Apparently, he was wanted for theft. The store clerks were not impressed with people stealing their merchandise; after all, they needed money as well. His picture looked small and unimportant next to the irrationally large poster of Hitler, the Führer. My family had just moved to this quaint town. Papa said it was because he wanted us to stay safe.
On Friday, I skipped home from school, the snow crunching beneath my boots. I liked watching the soft snowflakes fall on my mittens, it made me giggle. When I passed the grocery store, I noticed someone asking for money on the side of the street. Mama told me never to give money to beggars because they’ll expect you to give every time you pass. I kept my pace with my head down, my blonde curls falling in front of my face. I slowed to a trot and avoided the poor person’s eyes. Suddenly, I felt a frigid, bony hand grab my wrist and pull me toward the ground. My body became as cold as ice. I cautiously opened my eyes and to my astonishment I knew this beggars face. It was the boy from the wanted sign. His dark brown eyes stared into mine, as if he could see my thoughts. I was surprised by his crisp, chilling voice. “Do you have anything I can use? Money? Food?” I was petrified as I shook my head ever so slightly indicating no. To my surprise, the boy smiled. ‘It’s okay’ he said kindly as he let me free from his grasp. “Could we see each other again?” he questioned. Without a response I ran home. I was frightened, cold and hungry. “My name is Adam!” he called behind me. I didn’t look back. I entered the kitchen gasping for air. Mama, who had been stirring something with a light, sweet fragrance, looked at me with wide eyes. I didn’t tell her what happened. I climbed the stairs as fast as my legs would permit and went to bed and I eventually fell asleep thinking about Adam.
I slowly lifted my stiff, tired body from my bed, exposing it to the frigid morning air. As I’m about to leave I looked into the mirror by the door. My blue eyes stared back at me curiously. Papa always told me that blue eyes were safe, so I smiled. It was a Saturday morning, which meant I was going to the store to get bread for Mama. I swerved between women holding baskets and people discussing the latest news about the war. One man proudly said Germany had taken over most of France, which sounded reassuring to me. I got to the cashier with the warm loaf and pulled out the few coins I had from my coat pocket. On my way home, I skipped down the frozen sidewalks. The streets were crowded with people, everyone talking and laughing with one another. As I approached the intersection I slipped on a patch of ice, hitting my knees and chin hard on the ground. Tears began to blur my vision as someone picked me up by the arms. It was Adam. I instinctively started to back away, my mind panicking. I mumbled a barely audible ‘thank you’. As I started to walk home an unexpected realization came to mind. I had left the bread in the snow where I had just fallen. Unwillingly, I turned around and got the bread off the shattered beautiful ice, as Adam stared at me. He looked so needy and lonely like a lost puppy. What cruel person would leave him out in the cold like this? I flashed him a quick grin as I tossed him a chunk of the bread. He took it calmly but his eyes were ecstatic. He hesitated then put it in pocket as if it weren’t the only food he’d received all day. “Meet me at the park tomorrow morning” I told him with a smile. “That was quite the crash!” he said with grin. We both laughed and I started to walk home.
I saw him waiting on the corner of my street. I could see my breath as Adam and I ran to the park, I felt like a dragon blowing smoke. We were about to play hide and seek in the playground. I offered to count first, I liked being the seeker. “No peaking!” Adam said behind me. I laughed and began to count out loud. “…Nine…Ten! Ready or not here I…” My sentence stops short, I can no longer breathe. I turn around just in time to see two big officers pick up Adam. He is screaming, pleading frantically. I yell in protest and start to sprint toward them. One of the officers looks in my direction as the other puts Adam in the back of a dark, eerie van. He tells me that Adam didn’t have permission to be here and that the Jews shouldn’t live with our kind anyway. What’s a Jew? He’s a beggar! I notice the barred windows fog up where his face was just moments ago. Tiny drops of water roll down his pale cheeks. His small hands bang on the glass wildly as the car pulls away. In an instant, I hysterically begin to sob. The boy I had just begun to trust is now gone. I sit in the snow crying, letting my tears fall onto my coat. Will I ever get to see his soft features again?