Drawing the Past | Teen Ink

Drawing the Past

October 10, 2014
By squirrelqueen1022 GOLD, Youngstown, Ohio
squirrelqueen1022 GOLD, Youngstown, Ohio
11 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is never easy but the smart ones find ways to make it easier and strong ones keep moving forward.


One day while doing my homework my pen started running out of ink. I needed to finish my drawing for my 1692 project. I searched through drawer after drawer and couldn’t find one single pen. I dropped a small box I had never seen before inside was a bottle of ink and an old fashioned pen. I thought it was better than nothing. So I opened the bottle of ink and used them. I continued to draw my scene for the 1692 Salem Massachusetts Witch Trail. I was almost done when I noticed slight movement on the paper. The whole drawing was moving around. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Had I fallen asleep? As I lifted my head up my head smacked against the desk light. Nope, I wasn’t asleep. I wanted to see if my hand could go into the drawing possibly? One moment I was trying to put my hand into my drawing the next I was behind a building with people walking around wearing what looked like pilgrim clothes.
I’m glad no one saw me pop up because if this is really 1692 in Salem I would be accused of witch craft so fast. And be hung even faster. I looked down and I was wearing the same clothes as them. This is a good thing because I could at least blend in. All the money I had in my pockets before I had now it was just 1692 money. I wasn’t sure how much money I had I knew I just had money. I walked around the little stores and saw a little girl who was about 4 years old playing with a doll. I walked closer to her and saw that the doll had no face, I couldn’t remember why their dolls couldn’t have faces I just knew there was a reason.
She was sitting on the ground playing I walked up to her and said “Hello” she looked up and said “hi”. “What year is it? If you know.” I asked her. She looked at me confused and said “1692?” I asked her what her name was and she told me Dorothy Good, that name sounded so familiar. The doll had a name on sewn onto the dress but it wasn’t Dorothy it was Sarah. I guessed it was her mothers. I looked at Dorothy and she had blue eyes and short curly blonde hair she was adorable. Her hair was just like mine just mine was long. Her mother walked out of the store and walked away with her. They reassembled each other greatly.
I looked around at all the people it seemed like a happy place. How could such a happy place have witch trials? Maybe I came before the trials? Right then and there I heard screaming a loud high pitched screaming not too far away. Everyone heard it too, because they were running towards the court house. I went with them to see a group of young girls screaming and pointing at Sarah and Dorothy Good. For some reason though the judge kept calling Dorothy, Dorcus. I didn’t know why it wasn’t a hard name to pronounce. The judge told Dorothy to touch the forehead of a girl named Elizabeth Parris. She tried to walk forward but the screams from the girls frightened her. She stood there crying clenching the faceless doll in her small arms. Her mother picked her up and walked her towards the girl whom I believed was Elizabeth. Dorothy’s eyes were clenched tight and her arm was held out. She touched the girl’s forehead but she kept screaming. This meant to them that she wasn’t the afflicter she was innocent and was going to be let go.
Or so I thought. The judge screamed at Sarah saying her touch on the daughter had interfered and they were powerful together and they were indeed witches. I couldn’t believe it, people back then in this time were really stupid. Two people came and started dragging Dorothy and Sarah out the door. Dorothy dropped her faceless doll just a few steps away from me .Everyone ran out to the cart they were being placed in and started screaming and throwing rocks. I picked up the doll and walked outside. I felt so bad for Dorothy she was only 4 four years old and accused of being a witch, being screamed at, and rocks thrown at her. She must be terrified.
I couldn’t watch her cry any longer and silently walked away. I ended up in a small field I saw a nice tree with a lot of shade and decided to rest there. When I got there, there was a young boy under it; it looked like he was asleep at least I hope he was asleep. I bent down and poked his chest. I looked up and he was awake and staring at me. I moved my mouth as if to say something but nothing came out of my mouth. He said to me “Hi I am James. What’s your name?” I replied with “Hello, I’m Lily.” I smiled and looked down unable to look him in the eyes. I started rubbing my head and took off my small hat; he looked at me quite shocked. Then I thought am I not allowed to do this? So I slowly started putting it back on but he stopped me and starred at my bright blonde hair, he took my bun out and played with my hair for a moment. I started laughing and he chuckled a bit. “Beautiful name for a beautiful girl.” I smiled and before I could thank him he said “So how old are you?” I replied with “16” he smiled and said “Me too, so you’re not from here are you?” Was it that obvious? “No, I’m not. I’m here all alone.” He kind of frowned at my words. “Me too, but aren’t we all alone?” If he was alone who did he live with? So I asked him just that. “I live with a family that likes to take in kids who have no one. They just take kids under 18. So your good, would you like to come back with me Lily?” I did need a place to stay. So I agreed. We sat there for a while more and talked it was nice. We had a lot in common actually and it seemed that neither of us could stop smiling.
The sun started going down so we got up and started walking. I just followed since I had no clue where the house was. We got to a fairly big house he stopped me and told me to quickly put my hair back up. I handed the doll to him and did so. When we got to the door I started doubting they’d let me even stay. When we walked in a small girl maybe two years old waddled over to James he picked her up and smiled at her, she stared at me confused. James said “She’s the families youngest. By blood of course.” I didn’t know what to say to her so I just smiled at them both. He started walking towards the kitchen so I followed. There was a woman with brown hair and green eyes cooking a large meal. James put the small girl down and I watched her as she waddled away. She walked well it’s just the bottom of her shoes weren’t made evenly.
James introduced me and told her I had no place to go. She smiled and smiled “Welcome to our large family, Lily.” I smiled and asked her if I could possibly help her with dinner. She kindly denied my offer. I was told I would be sharing a room with James. I walked into the room there was a small chair with a nightgown on it for me. I placed the doll on top of it and walked out of the room. When we sat down for dinner I realized when the mother said a large family she meant it there were many children there. One side of the table was the parents and their children on the other side were the children they had let into their home. They had five children of their own and 6 children including me they had let in. They seemed like a happy family. Two blood daughters, three blood sons, four boys they let in and two girls let into their home. They asked me a few questions and then the mother asked the father who was accused today he said he wasn’t sure. Without thinking I blurted out “Sarah Good and her daughter Dorothy Good.” They got quiet and stared at me I didn’t know what to do so I just looked down at my food. The father asked me “How do you know this?” “I saw them today in the court room being yelled at and then thrown into a cart.” I never looked up I kept my head down and answered them. “What a shame there such good people.” The mother said. The subject was quickly changed.
Later on I got to find out their names. The father’s name was John, the mothers name was Mary. Their children were William who was almost 18 years old, Thomas who was 16 years old, Lydia who was 13 years old, Robert who was 9 years old and Bridget who was 3 years old. The children they let in were of course James who was 16, Richard who was 14, George was 11, Martha was 7, and Samuel was 4. After introduction James and I both went to the bed room. He grabbed some pajamas and walked out. I changed and realized the night gown was thin and low cut. I figured James would walk in wearing a big night shirt but he didn’t he walked in wearing a low cut long sleeve shirt and long pajama pants.
I took my hair out and he came up behind me and messed with my hair and laughed. It was kind of cute, he hugged me from behind. Then he picked me up and set me on the bed. He went to the side of the bed close to the window very fast and said in a strange voice “My side!” I laughed and realized he was serious. I lay down and he was staring at me with a huge smile on his face. He looked as if he was one of the happiest people alive. After talking for a while I fell asleep.
I had a dream that I wouldn’t wake up. James was next to me freaking out yelling my name and crying. Mary and John and the kids came in and he told them I wouldn’t wake up. Mary and John checked for a pulse and I did have one and I was breathing. John went to town and got the priest they thought I was afflicted. James never left my side. When John arrived he came home with a priest, doctor, and the judge. They were yelling out verses and the doctor was looking me over. The judge watched James cry and a say my name over and over. He then said to him “You’re a witch aren’t you. You’re afflicting this girl aren’t you?” James looked up and said “No, never I would never do anything to hurt her.” The family and the neighbors reassured the priest and the judge. I wouldn’t wake up for a month. A month he stayed by my side.
Then I woke up and realized it wasn’t dream. I was really asleep for a month. James had been out of the room eating and when he came back in and saw me sitting up he ran hugged me he wouldn’t stop crying. He wouldn’t let go he said “I really thought you would never wake up.” I didn’t know many times I apologized to him. But I got up after a while washed up and James got up and got me something to eat. He figured I would be starving to be honest I wasn’t that hungry. But I still ate. John went back to town to tell them I was awake. Richard, George, Robert and William, watched me with James until John got back. He took Thomas, Martha and Lydia with him.
I felt perfectly fine at first but then I got hot, felt dizzy my stomach was killing me I felt terrible. James held me the whole time. Feeling this way with a doctor, priest and judge on the way who thought I was afflicted didn’t help. Mary came in and put a cold cloth on my forehead; she looked at me and knew I was only sick. She asked me “You’re not going to call out any names are you?” I looked at her; it took me awhile to comprehend what she had said. When I did I tried saying no but nothing came out so I just simply shook my head. She smiled at me and put her hand on my forehead. She was a sweet woman.
Then John and the others came in. They saw how bad I looked the doctor looked me over and never did say a word. The priest asked me if I could walk. I said “ I could try” I said it so softly I don’t even think anyone heard me I barely heard myself. I slowly got up, James looked a bit worried. I got up and on my feet fast, too fast. I ran to the opened window and threw up. I got up to fast and it made my stomach a million times worse. The judge yelled “Look! Look at what the devil has done to this poor girl!” I could barely stand and James came over to help me stand, Richard came and held my hair back. When I was actually done James whipped my mouth off and helped me back to the bed. The priest was yelling “Who afflicts you? Give us a name!” It took me a while to wrap my thoughts around his words. “No one” I finally got out. “The witch whom afflicts her holds her tongue!” said the judge looking at me and the priest. All they were doing was giving me a headache and were confusing me. I buried my head in James’s chest and tried blocking them out. He wrapped his arms around me and put his head on mine.
I wanted them to stop talking but they wouldn’t, they kept going and going I wasn’t even sure what they were saying. It was all too much for me I screamed “Shut up! Be quiet! Go away!” I was holding my head and crying as I rocked back and forth. I felt like I was going to be sick again. I was right I ran to window again and threw up. I fell to my knees and couldn’t catch my breath. I was slowly falling asleep again and James came and put me back in bed again. I fell asleep for another month. They all were accusing James but his family and neighbors once again reassured them. I wondered how long they could keep reassuring them. And why was I sleeping for a month every time I fell asleep? This happened five times. I was only awake for five days and five months had past. When I woke up James was nowhere to be found. I got up, washed up, got dressed and found Richard.
‘They took him a week ago. We couldn’t reassure them and they accused him. They are still trying to get a confession from him.” I didn’t want to believe what Richard was telling me. All I could say to him was “No” I ran to town as fast as I possibly could. When I finally got there I asked if James was in there. They told me he was but I needed to give them a name of who had afflicted me if it wasn’t James. Right next to the guard was a list of woman who being hung that day. I didn’t want to but I had no other choice. I couldn’t help them anyways the wagon was there to pick them up. I only knew one name on there so it stuck out to me I said “Sarah Good.” Then I heard “Good girl, God has saved you.” The words hadn’t come from the guards but from behind me. I turned around and standing there was the judge and the priest. “Shall we release James Ryder sir?” The one guard asked the judge. The judge starred at me and smiled “Yes let him go, he is innocent.” The judge had a strange smile it cold and mischievous as if he was hiding something.
I let it go and took the keys from the guards and ran to find James on my own. All I heard was cries one cry after another. I opened a random door were I heard nothing from and there he was. Arms chained to the ceiling in the center of the room. His hands above his head looking down. His shirt was off, they had whipped him for a confession and a confession he did not give. I ran up to him and held his head in my hands. He looked terrible and he was only here for a week. I took the keys and started undoing the cuffs on him. “Why did they let you back here?” he asked me as he opened his eyes. “I had to give them a name to get you out. I didn’t want to but I had to get you out of here. I couldn’t just let you rot away in here. I chose Sarah Goods name the wagon is here to pick her up I figured no one could help her.” As soon as I got his hands free he hugged me. I helped him up and walked him out. He could barely walk from all the whipping. I gave the guards back his keys.
The guards, the priest and the judge all watched as James and I walked down the street and out of sight. We were half way home when John came down the road we rode back with him. When we got back to the house John was helping me keep James on his feet. “Mary! Get some bandages!” John yelled as we walked James to the bed room. We laid him on his stomach it looked like he was about to pass out. Mary cleaned out his wounds she didn’t have to be as gentle though since James had passed out. After we did all we could they left the room. I started to change him into his pajamas which I realized was just plan impossible. He started waking up “what are you doing?” he moaned. “Putting your pajamas on?” “No” he replied. What? “Why no? Not like you are going anywhere.” I said to him in a very confused tone of voice. “I am going somewhere.” James said as he slowly got up putting his shirt on. “Wait what? Where are you going James?” I didn’t understand what he was doing. “Sarah Good is innocent and she won’t hang for me being part of the reason.” I understood he didn’t want to be part of the reason a woman died but he might have been too late. “If you’re going I’m going with you.” “Then let’s go.” I wanted to make sure he was okay but time was going by fast and we needed to get there faster.
We got there as they put the rope around her neck. “No! Sarah Good is innocent!” The judge smiling next to Sarah he had a horse whip in his hand. He looked us both in the eyes and whipped the horse to go forward. Dropping Sarah Good to her death. James didn’t say a word he just fell to his knees watching Sarah hang there. “Oops what did you say? Oh well doesn’t matter what a stupid orphaned boy has to say anyways now does it?” All eyes were on James he had tears in his eyes I was unsure if it was from Sarah Goods death or the judges words. Everyone seemed surprised and was staring at James as if they didn’t know he was an orphan. Or did they not know? “Oh wait did I say something I wasn’t supposed to James? Did everyone not know you have been an orphan since the age of five? That is my bad I will send my apologizes to your little sister. Oh wait a minute I can’t oh well.” The judge said this as he stared at James with a huge smile on his face it was creepy. James lifted his head as he said “Take it back.” “I have nothing to take back James.” He got up fast and tried running towards him but John came up behind him and grabbed him. He started carrying him back home. I followed them unsure of what was really going on.
When we got home the first thing James did was scream his head off. John went into the kitchen to tell Mary what happened. James ran to his room and continued to scream and starting hitting the walls. I didn’t know how to calm him down because I didn’t know what was going on. The screaming stopped I went to James’s room and he was sitting in the corner slightly crying. I went over to him and sat down I didn’t know what I could possibly say to him. Mary and John came in. Mary sat down next to James patting his back. I guess I could have done that I just didn’t think it was okay to touch him. “James sweetie we only know so little about what happened eleven years ago I think it’s time we finally knew what happened that night. Please?” Mary said this to James in the most concerned voice I’ve ever heard. James clenched his eyes shut for a brief moment as a tear rolled down his cheek. He slowly lifted his head up and looked down at his hands. He slowly opened his hands which held a small toy. It was a small stuffed teddy bear with a blue ribbon around its neck. He stared at the little bear as his eyes filled with tears. He leaned over to his bed and grabbed a box from underneath it. He cradled it in his arms rocking back and forth. He stopped rocking and slightly released his grip on the box. He opened his mouth as if to say something but nothing came out.
He took a deep breath and started to tell us his story. The story that no one knew but James himself. “One night my mom, dad, my brother and sisters were sitting in the living room. My mother was sewing, my father and sister Rebecca were reading, my brother David was watching my little sisters Elizabeth and Anna play with their dolls and I was drawing. That’s all we were doing was just simple things. We started hearing musket shots from outside. My dad looked outside I didn’t think he saw anything. He told my brother and sister to hide and to take us with them. David and Rebecca took Anna, when I took Elizabeth. My dad stopped me and told me to keep Elizabeth with me, not to let her out of sight. We ran to the hall closet. Elizabeth was pretty quiet other than the two sentences. She asked me are we going to be okay James. I promised her we would be perfectly fine. She looked me in the eyes as if she really knew I really didn’t know and had no control over what would happen. She hugged me and said I love you James I told her I loved her two and after that she remained quiet. We heard the front door open. My father asked the person at the door may I help you with something? It sounded as if he didn’t finish his sentence but the sound of the musket went off and my mother screamed. There it was again the sound of the musket silencing my mother. I held Elizabeth close to me as we heard footsteps get closer. They walked past us and opened a door where I heard David said please let us be we won’t tell a soul I pro- they didn’t even let him finish the word promise. I heard Rebecca and Anna crying. Rebecca yelled David’s name following with many no’s then again the sound of the musket. I no longer heard Rebecca’s voice crying out David’s name or saying a single no. All I heard was Anna’s cries and so did Elizabeth because she got out of my grip and walked out of the closet. After she walked out another sound of the musket. Anna had been silenced. Elizabeth walked in the same room crying Anna’s name, crying Rebecca’s and David’s name. I wanted to run after her but as soon as I stood up there was the sound of the musket silencing Elizabeth. They walked past her and went to my father’s room took some money and left. I walked out of the closet when I no longer heard footsteps. Elizabeth was in the doorway, she was still alive. I put her head in my lap and told her I was sorry she slowly raised her hand and put it on my cheek it slowly fell and tiredly she said I love you James, tell mommy, daddy, David, Rebecca and Anna that I love them too when they wake up please? I shook my head yes because I couldn’t get anything to come out of my mouth. She slowly closed her eyes. I didn’t know what exactly had happened. I was scared and starting tapping her face asking her to wake up. She wouldn’t wake up; I went to Anna whose eyes were closed too. I asked her to wake up multiple times but she wouldn’t. I went to Rebecca and David and asked them to wake up many times they wouldn’t they just wouldn’t. I went near the door asking my parents to wake up. None of them would wake up. I asked myself why won’t anyone wake up? I didn’t know but I went to my room got my drawings and my box and went back into the closet where I was with Elizabeth. I took her small toys and placed them in my box. I sat there for hours crying and scared. My family’s blood was all over my pajamas, my, hands, my feet, and even some of my face. Morning came and I heard footsteps I was scared that they had come back. They were men from town who worked with city hall and even some neighbors. I heard someone sadly say where are the kids? They walked past my closet and one silently said in here. A group of men came over. One of our neighbors said there are only four children there are five who live here. Where’s James? Another man yelled find the boy! One of the men heard me start to cry and opened the closet door. He starred at me as I huddled into the corner clenching my box. He kneeled down and told me it was okay he was a good guy. I believed him; I got up with my box in hand and followed him. They took me to the living room near the door where they lined up my parents. The man’s wife came to me and asked if I’d like to come over to her house. I looked at her then to my family that they started lining up with my parents. I looked back at her and said yes but can I ask you a question first? As I said this everyone stopped and watched me more of the men’s wives came and were standing in the door way. She looked at my concerned and said of course you may. I looked at my family for a brief moment and back at her and asked do you know when my mom, dad, David, Rebecca, Elizabeth and Anna are waking up? I tried last night to wake them up but they wouldn’t. Elizabeth was the last to fall asleep before she did she asked me to tell them she loved them when they woke up. The women had started crying at what I was saying some of the men were looking down I asked them could you tell them for me if they wake up while I’m at her house? He didn’t look me in the eyes he just nodded his head. The woman who was in front of me never answered my question; she just took my hand and walked me to her house. For three days I asked them if my family woke up. Then it was the day of their funerals they were all lined up in boxes. Their clothes had been changed. I was confused why were they still sleeping? After a while I walked up one by one and told them Elizabeth loved them and so did I. Then they grabbed the lids and got ready to put them on.  I was confused then it hit me. They weren’t going to wake up, they were never going to. I started crying and screaming no. I went up to my dad’s box and I apologized over and over saying daddy I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry Elizabeth ran away from me I didn’t keep her by my side like you told me too I’m sorry. Then they put his lid on as I ran to my mother crying for her saying I loved her they put her lid on as I ran to David. I was saying I’m sorry I should of went with you I’m sorry I love you. Then I went to Rebecca saying I love you over and over and don’t leave me please I need your help like before. Then I passed Elizabeth and went to Anna and said. I’m sorry Anna; I love you I should have taken you with me too. Then I ran to Elizabeth and cried and cried saying I’m sorry I didn’t keep you safe I’m sorry I let you go. I’m so sorry I love you please forgive me. No one tried stopping me as I did this they just cried and felt bad for me. One by one they went into the ground no longer covering the stones with their names. After they were fully buried I was silent tears were still streaming down my face but I made no sound. The woman’s husband of whom I was staying with picked me up and carried me to their home. I left walking back to my house I wanted to grab a few things. I grabbed Anna’s and Elizabeth’s dolls, my fathers and Rebecca’s favorite book they had been reading that night, my mothers and Rebecca’s necklace, and David’s cross chain and his switch blade. Then I went and grabbed the families book it was full of our drawings. My uncle was a very good artist and each year he would come over and draw us and put it in our book. They looked just like us. When I finally walked back I put the stuff into my box. They took me to town and said goodbye. They left me with a man that brought me here.”
I simply couldn’t believe his story. James was crying, he opened his box and there was everything he said from the story. The dolls, books, necklaces, the switch blade and the book. He grabbed the small book and opened it slowly looking over each page. The first two were his parents. He looked so much like his mother. Then there were pictures if David as a baby then two more each year. Then Rebecca came and there she was for about five years it was just them. Then James came, three years later Elizabeth who looked just adorable. Then two more years later and Anna joined the happy bunch.  The last drawing was them all together. Anna was on her father’s lap with Rebecca by his side, Elizabeth on her mother’s with David by her side, and James on his knees in the center with a huge smile on his face. They looked like one of the happiest families I’ve ever seen. “My uncle drew this a day before their death.” Said James staring at the drawings. I looked up, John was staring at the drawing, and Mary was as well and also looking at James crying. I never knew this happy boy had such a dark, sad past to him. I felt terrible for just thinking his life was almost perfect.
After we all calmed down we tried to seem normal for the rest of the family. Mary was giving the boys haircuts before we arrived so we finished that. She had me cut James’s hair I tried making it look like the way it did when he was five. When we were done we had dinner then there was a knock at the door. None of us knew who it could have been. We all stayed in the kitchen while John went to see who it was. He opened the door to a group of people he had never seen before. But James had, it was the group of people who came to his house when he was five. They walked into the living room one man said “We were curious to see how the boy turned out, if he is okay.” Another said “Does James Ryder live in this house hold?” he seemed confused and almost sure they had the wrong house until James said “Yes I am James Ryder.” A woman standing next to a man gave out a small whimper. Everyone stared at her, she choked a little till the words came out of her mouth “I’m sorry it’s just you look so much like your mother with your father’s eyes.” James had no response he just stood there staring at the ground unsure of what to really do at the moment. It was silent until John said “Let’s sit.” The visitors sat in the chairs, some stood everyone else sat on the floor.
A man was about to say something until there was another knock at the door. John asked Is there another group of you guys?” The group of people looked confused and all shook their heads no. John went to the door to see the judge and two others with guns. They weren’t guards though just people I’ve never seen before. They came for the same reason as the others for James. The judge came into the living room looking at everyone he looked at James and said ‘’before you carried James off today I was trying to tell him to come back here! I wanted to speak to him to ask if he was okay. So I thought I’d stop by and ask for myself.” “With two people behind you holding guns?” Richard said with a confused tone towards the judge. Protection was the judge’s excuse. James had zoned out after what the judges had said before. After a couple of us said his name he came back. “Say that again.” James said to the judge looking at the ground. “Say what again your name?” asked the judge but his tone it sounded as if he knew what James was talking about. “No, what you were telling me before what you said before I left earlier today.” The judge almost had the same smile from earlier on his cold face. He screamed what he said before in the same tone “Come back here!” James eyes got wide after hearing the judge. “You” is all he said. “Me?” said the judge with a face that read bingo. “You were there. You helped kill them!”
James’s voice got higher. “I killed no one I just know simple facts from that night! Where your family died, you were hiding in a closet clenching a box, how you told us you heard a musket before it all happened, the order your family died. Your father, your mother, David, Rebecca, Anna then Elizabeth.”  The judge said not changing his tone. “I never said anything about hearing a musket, and I certainly didn’t say the order in which they died. All I said was Elizabeth died last.” James said with both anger and sadness in his voice.  “Was it me or him?” the judge said gesturing his arm toward the door. It slowly opened to a man. “Uncle Rodger?” James said softly. He looked down trying to put the pieces together. He had a hurt look on his face he looked up at his uncle and got the words out “You didn’t. Please tell me you didn’t.” His uncle couldn’t look him in the eyes. Before his uncle could get anything out the judge said “Oh but we did James.” “You weren’t supposed to be home.” His uncle said with his eyes closed. “No! Why would you do that?! For money?! What?! If you wanted that you could have just asked! He would have given it to you! He gave people money when they needed it. Random beggar’s he would hand it over. If you would have just asked he would have given it! You didn’t have to kill them! My mother took care of others; she sewed clothes for whoever needed them why did she have to die?! David did chores for people who just simply asked he helped people when they needed a hand why did he have to die?! Rebecca helped church children and looked after them why did she have to die?! Elizabeth and Anna gave food to people who needed it. Everyone loved them. Why did they have to die?!” James officially broke.
“You weren’t supposed to be home!” his uncle yelled with a tear rolling down his cheek.  He took a deep breath and said “Your father told me that on the 20th you guys were going to go to your grandparents.” James calmly said “You got the date wrong…” “What?” His uncle said looking at James but still not in the eyes. “It was the 19th not the 20th!” James got up and ran to his room and came back with the small book of drawings. He opened it to the last drawing “Right there! You drew this the day before. Right there in the corner it says the 18th not the 19th! You had the wrong date!” James was furious and tossed me the book. Rodger looked as if something had broken inside of him. “What did you want from my father anyways?” James had to ask. He wanted to know what his family died for. I didn’t blame him. “Your father had a box what he kept inside of it is what we wanted but we couldn’t find it.” James looked at the Judge and Rodger “You killed them for something you didn’t even find?!” James couldn’t believe it. 
“I actually found the box once he told me not to touch it since what it contained was important. Sad how a four year old found it and you couldn’t!” James fell to his knees. The judge had wide eyes and said “You found the box at a time? Do you by any chance remember where he put it?” The judge slowly walked over to him staring at him as he kneeled down. “I think so but why would I show you?” James had so many thoughts running through his head, remembering everyone who talked that night they spoke as if they knew the killer. Now he knew why it was because they did. The judge thought for a moment he did indeed have to give James a reason. And a reason he would give. He snatched the book of family drawings from me and stood over the fire place. “Show us or it burns.” The judge said and he wasn’t kidding and that right there was James’s reason. “Please don’t that’s all I have to remember what they look like please.” James kept his eyes on the book. The judge said “Look James I don’t want to burn the book I just want the box. Show me where the box is and your book won’t burn. Deal?”
James didn’t want to but he agreed. They made everyone come to James’s old house even little Bridget and Samuel. We got to the house and a couple asked if they could wait outside. Some people just didn’t want to relive that sad day. Even though it was worse for James. They didn’t want them to run off and get help so everyone had to come in. When James walked it he couldn’t help but to look over every inch. “You’ll be able to let everything soak in after we get the box. Let’s go.” The judge said giving James a nudge forward. James did as he was told and walked. He slowed down his pace when he came across a blood stain in a doorway. I heard him take a deep breath and continue to walk forward. We got to his parents room and James stopped and closed his eyes trying to remember exactly where it might be. “I found the box my dad came in and took it he said to me don’t play around with this it’s important but let’s say your life is on the line for this box. If so give them this box because you are so much more important than this box, got it? I shook my head and he walked over here and opened this.” James said as he walked over to the wall and slid open a tiny compartment. “Here, here’s the box,” James said as he handed it over. The judge grabbed it and tried opening it immediately. It’s locked; unlike James’s box his fathers had a lock on it. The judge slowly looked up at James as if he was going to hurt him. “I may know where a key is.” James said with his hands half way in the air.
We all turned around and walked into James’s old room. He went over to David’s night stand and found his box and opened it to a key. He gave it to the judge and asked “Can we leave now?” They ignored his him. They opened the box and it was full of papered documents. “You killed five people for documents?” I asked. It was only supposed to be a thought but it just came out. They didn’t look up but the judge said “Documents for land and money.” So James was half right. James didn’t say anything but he looked crushed. He just shook his head then asked “Do you ever regret what you did Uncle Rodger? I mean you killed your own brother and his family.” James didn’t sound mad at all he sounded actually very calm. I could tell by Rodgers face that the question touched him and possibly hurt him. “Yes I do I always do. No one was ever supposed to get hurt. It was never supposed to happen the way it did.” His uncle started looking a bit numb, it’s been hours and not once did he look him into the eyes not even for a second.
James finally asked the question I’ve been wondering for hours. “Why won’t you look me in the eyes?” His uncle gave out a small chuckle and said “The same reason why you didn’t come stay with me after what happened.” James had a confused look on his face I think everyone did at the moment. “What I don’t understand what you mean?”  “You have your father’s eyes. If you would have lived with me I would have died having to look into your eyes and seeing your father. The same eyes David and Anna had as well. You look like your mother and so did Elizabeth and Rebecca. I would have seen them all in you it wouldn’t have helped that you are so much like all of them.” It sounded like he was choking on his words a bit. I was surprised by what James said next “Thank you.” He said with a small smile on his face. “Thank you for saying that I am just like them.” His uncle gave a sad chuckle to James’s words while nodding his head and slightly crying “Let’s go somewhere real quick.” He said while walking out of the room. We all followed and were put in the cart with only one of us knowing where we were going. Until a certain point at least.
At a point James knew exactly where we were going. It didn’t take us long to get there. Rodger had taken us to the cemetery. James knew exactly where to go. It didn’t take long to find the Ryder family. Rodger sat down in front of two tomb stones that read Jacob Ryder and Emily Ryder. He just stared at them for a while in silence. I thought maybe James would sit in front of Elizabeth’s and Anna’s but he didn’t. He did something more depressing. He laid in between Rebecca and Elizabeth’s tomb stone. Where he would have been if he would have died that night. “I should be here right now.” James said closing his eyes and arms at his sides. “Uncle Rodger why didn’t you kill me? You knew I was there but you left me be.” James didn’t move from his spot he just opened his eyes. “I knew you were in the closet too.” Rodger said not taking his eyes off of the tomb stones. “I didn’t pull the trigger by the way judge over here did.” He still didn’t answer James’s question. “Why didn’t you kill me Uncle Rodger?” He didn’t want to answer but he did. “I couldn’t kill a boy who looked up to me, who wanted to be just like me.” “What do you mean just like you?” James asked but this time he got up and sat right in front of him. He was sick of his uncle not looking him in the eyes even if it meant he broke down. His uncle closed his eyes and said “You walked up to me after I drew your family the day before. You said you loved to draw, you wish you could draw just like me. You wanted to be just like me. You saying that in your small voice as it ran through my head that night I just couldn’t do it.” So that was why James didn’t die that night. He couldn’t kill the nephew that wanted to be just like him, to be able to draw just like him. I don’t think he wants to be just like him anymore.
James was silent he wasn’t sitting in front of Rodger anymore he was standing up looking at his family’s tomb stones. His eyes teared up and face started turning red. He fell to his knees and put his hands on David’s tomb stone. I don’t know why but next thing I knew he was banging his head off the tomb stone. John tried pulling him off and yelled “James stop it!” both John and Rodger pulled him off. He was on the ground and John was holding him down by his wrists. John asked Mary for a handkerchief because James’s head was bleeding. After they let him go he just laid on his stomach not saying a word his head hurt and he was dizzy. I sat next to him I didn’t know what to do or say so I started petting his head. Then I heard the judge say “You’re going to tell aren’t you?” It took me a minute to realize he was talking to me. I turned to face him but my head hit something. I slowly looked to realize it was a gun. He was holding a gun to my head. “Why would I tell?” The judge chuckled at my words “Stupid girl don’t answer my question with another question!”  James rolled over to see what was going on. When he saw the gun to my head he sprung up. “Don’t you dare.” James said he wasn’t pleading or asking he was telling him not to. “What are you going to do if I do pull the trigger? Hide in a closet?” I have no clue what ran into James’s mind after the judge’s words but it most not have been much.
He sprang forward and jumped on the judge. I just got on the ground thinking that the gun might go off. James put out a blade and stabbed the judge in the knee. Apparently when James went to grab the family book he grabbed David’s blade too. The judges so called friends didn’t seem to care they did nothing to James and nothing to help the judge either. James grabbed me and told everyone to run. Even the judge’s friends ran with us. We ran to the cart and left the judge there screaming. We got back to the house and stayed there for a couple hours then they started to leave. Rodger was the last to leave. “I’m so very sorry James I know you won’t ever forgive me I wouldn’t either. I also know you don’t want to be like me anymore. I apologize for all of that.” James looked down and back at his uncle. “I still want to be an artist Uncle Rodger. That hasn’t changed about me.” Rodger did something he hadn’t done all night he finally looked James in the eyes he said “I’m sure you’ll be a great one too James. Well I must be going I’m glad I got to see you’ve turned out your parents would be proud I’m sure of it. I love you James good night.”  He didn’t wait to hear what he was going to say he turned around and walked out the door.
It had been a long day so everyone went to sleep. That night we were only asleep for one night but with every hour that passed so did a week. So by the time we woke up two months had past. I wasn’t sure why it was happening to everyone now but I just pushed it to the side. I started looked at James’s art supplies. I took a pen, some ink and some paper and started drawing my original room. I looked away and back at the drawing my brother walked into the picture. It was happening again but this time I didn’t try to put my hand into the drawing. I ripped it up and turned to throw it away but I was stopped by James who watched me draw it and that meant he saw my brother walk into it. I was scared that he would yell witch.
He didn’t say a word. This scared me even more. “I see you found my favorite pen.” Wait so he knows? “I, I just was drawing a picture and –““I know the picture started to move, and things walked into it.” James had a straight face. I asked him “Have you ever tried going in them? “No, I haven’t because then if I don’t have my pen and ink with me I’d be stuck.” So I’m stuck here all because I forgot the pen and ink I used. “Oh” that’s all I said I must of looked sad or let down because he asked “Why, what’s wrong?” Then he got quiet and his eyes got wide and said “You really aren’t from here are you? You just drew a drawing of this place and went into it didn’t you?” I didn’t want to look him in the eyes and I didn’t I said “Yes, I’m not even from 1692. I’m from a different time and place.”
James was shocked almost as if he didn’t believe me but he did. And he was fascinated with it. “So wait why don’t you go back home? All you have to do is draw it.” I knew that’s all I had to do but I didn’t want to. Not without James at least but I wasn’t sure how to tell him that. “It’s not that easy James.” I felt a tear go down my cheek. “Well of course it is I mean unless you got attached to someone here and wanted to take them with you.” He slowed down speaking when he got to the last few words. As if he realized I did want to take someone with me, but did he realize that he was one I wanted to take back with me? “Who is it you want to take with you?” He asked sitting me down on the bed. “Someone that I’ve come to love.” I almost choked on my words. “Who do you love Lily?” “I can’t –““Yes you can Lily.” “No I really can’t.” “Lily yes you can please!” “You!  James! I love you!” The room got quiet.
I looked up at James he didn’t look shocked he looked happy. He had a big smile on his face and I was confused. He took my hand looked me in the eyes and said “I love you too Lily. Why didn’t you tell me though?” I paused for a minute and took a deep breath and said “I didn’t think you did. I didn’t think I should either since I know you won’t come back with me.” James got quiet and looked out the window then I was shocked when he said “What if I did go with you?” “Why would you go with me?” James smiled “Because I love you and I want you to be happy. Happy with me. If that means going back with you then so be it. If you leave without me I won’t be happy and I would lose the person who I love more than anything.” It was the sweetest thing anyone had ever said to me. I didn’t say anything back though I smiled and I hugged him. He held me tight and I enjoyed it. “Just let me figure out when okay?” I nodded my head in agreement. As long as he was with me, he could choose when.
A couple weeks went by James thought he would write a note but then thought why do that to the family who let him in. They let him in and raised him for 11 years and thought leaving them behind with a note was wrong. If he was going to tell them he was leaving he was going to do it in person. When I went to sleep that night James stayed up to talk to Mary and John. I didn’t think anything of it. He was telling them he would be leaving soon not tonight but in a couple days. I heard footsteps from the hall it was Bridget. Bridget said she couldn’t sleep so James took her and went to her room to try to get her to fall asleep. I couldn’t take him away this family that loved him. I walked over to the small table in the corner and started drawing my room. He came in shortly after. I tried drawing faster but I couldn’t not fast enough. He realized what I was doing and took the paper and crumbled it up. “Why were you doing that?” “I can’t take you away from these people they love you so much.” I was crying and looking around I couldn’t look him in the eyes. “You’re not taking me I’m choosing to go with you okay?” I shook my head and then there was a pounding at the door. John started screaming. The judge had told the town we were all witches and now they are here to kill us and burn the house down. Everyone woke up and came into James room. James yelled at me to draw the room and draw it fast.
I didn’t think a piece of paper was big enough so I took a huge sheet and started drawing on that. I tried to draw it fast but it was difficult my room was pretty big. William was blocking the door shut but it was hard. There was more people pounding on it then there was holding it shut. “Dad! Some help would be nice!” he yelled. They got the dresser and put it in front of the door. James yelled “Draw it faster!” I was trying I was drawing as fast as I could. I was freaking out. Then I finally yelled “I’m done!” Everyone was confused that all I was doing was drawing. “Just trust me and jump into it!” James said grabbing his box. I was surprised that they listened.
Next thing I knew we were in my bedroom. The sheet I drew on was also there and I rolled it up. While I was trying to catch my breath the rest of them were stunned and looking around. I looked down and I was in the clothes I had on before I entered the drawing. Then I heard my mother yell “Dinner!” What? I was confused I pulled out my cell phone and looked at the time only an hour had passed. I started laughing in disbelief. I asked them to stay put and be quiet since I didn’t know how to explain all of this to my parents. I asked before I left if they were hungry they weren’t they were still soaking in their surroundings. When I got back Richard was messing with my guitar. “Oh no please don’t break that.” I said as I put it back in the corner on its stand. He asked “Can you play it?” Since I found it difficult to play the guitar without singing I did both.  Then when I was done my brother Kyle came in and asked me to help him with his hair for picture day at school. I was hoping he would completely ignore them all together. I said I would help and when he went into the bathroom that conjoined our rooms he asked “So why and who are the 12 people in your room?” I didn’t have time to tell him a lie so I just told him the truth and he sat on the ground next to me across from them in true amazement he asked me what their names were and I told him. He asked the strangest questions some of them just made him sound stupid on a very high level.
What was on my mind was where could they live? Because I couldn’t exactly hide 12 people in my room forever. There was the guest house we had. My dad was looking for someone to move into their all they had to do was do chores around our house mainly outside. When I was done with Kyle’s hair I asked him to stay with them as I took a shower. Afterwards we all went to bed. The next morning I got ready for picture day. When I went downstairs I told my father about the family that was asking about the guest house. He agreed to meet them. He wanted to meet them that night at dinner. I could possibly make that work. All day at school I was freaking out I just wanted to make sure that nothing happened to them. After school I even had an art club meeting which just made school feel even longer.
When I walked in to art club there was the girl that I hated the most. Brittney saw me and pretended to trip and fall on numerous tubes of paint. They were open of course and squirted all over me. She couldn’t even wait till I sat down to ruin my day. She turned me into a rainbow. I was a rainbow a very grumpy rainbow. I left and sat in my brother Zack’s car and waited for practice to be over. When it was they couldn’t believe it. I could tell Zack and Kyle were getting fed up with Brittney I already was. When we got home my parents were already there. So they got to see my rainbow. When they did they didn’t say a word. My younger siblings snickered trying not to burst out in laughter. I didn’t say a word I just walked up stairs and told them “Don’t ask.” I got a shower it took me awhile to wash off the rainbow. For a couple hours I got John and Mary ready for dinner giving them some of my parent’s old clothes and changing them up a bit so my parents didn’t recognize them. At dinner my parents asked them only a couple questions. The rest was joyful conversation. My father loved them. Mary and John were fine with all they had to do for the guest house was help around. The next day I helped them make the house a little more homey.
The next month was great. Everyone was well suited with everything including school. We were all happy and ready for our new lives to begin. We all kept our little secret to ourselves. I was surprised at how well Kyle kept it. Maybe he only kept it because he knew how badly it meant to me, meant to that whole family. As things go well for all of us I am not saying this is a happily ever after. That would indicate that our story is over. It is nowhere near over. Our story is just beginning.


The author's comments:

It all started out as a simple school project, but it turned into so much more.

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences