The Cherokee's Butterfly | Teen Ink

The Cherokee's Butterfly

By AJKinn BRONZE, Thompson Falls, Montana
AJKinn BRONZE, Thompson Falls, Montana

'Sexy' doesn't have to come with the price tag of being dumb.
~Pink

Our people were once great protecting animals. We were our brother, the Wolf. Once we were cared for by the great Wolf Spirit and during this protection the darkest monster attacked our ancestors continuously. This creature was called Kalona Aniwahya, also known as the Angel of Death. It had earned this name because it would take people’s life essence when they become sick and weak.
The first life this beast took was that of a young woman. She was out gathering wild berries and flowers when a mountain lion came and attacked her; she would have died if the chief’s son hadn't been near. He killed the lion but the young woman had deep scratches from the top of her neck, which continued past her collar bone. This mattered not to the son for he wished to marry the beautiful young woman. The wedding was planned for the next week, when the woman became ill and weak from her wounds. She was prepared for the wedding the day before, but during the night many ravens appeared in the forest shadows. One morphed on day break into Kalona. It went to where she slept and it took her life essence without a fight.
The tribe mourned her, but no one understood what evil had taken her. Yet in the next week the two great elders in the clan were taken away as well. This made our ancestors live in fear. Guards were put throughout the night, but that did not stop the final, most devastating death among our people.

The last life that Kalona took was that of a young boy. Now, this particular boy was becoming the new Wolf Spirit’s Companion. After the first death the Spirit became cautious; then the next two made her worried, but the young apprentice’s death made her furious. After she mourned the young one, the Wolf Spirit and several packs started a long journey to find this dark angel. They discovered that to find Kalona they had to follow the raven, for that was one of his forms. He morphed into a raven during the night to conserve the life essence that he would gain from the victim during the day.
Once Kalona was found, the Spirit waited until the night of the full moon to consume the raven form of Kalona. When the Spirit finally pounced and had eaten Kalona, she took away its dangerous powers and dark colors. The wolf had to hold its breath until she was able to fully be emerged in the moon light. When she finally was fully in the light, the Wolf Spirit released her breath and when she did a grey small cloud came before the new delicate colorful being. This now covers the land when the ground is cold and the sun is just about to rise.
Just as the new creature surfaced from her mouth, the moon gave the new organism a special moon dust so it had the ability to fly and so this powder was a weakness as punishment of its past harm to others. The black markings were put on the colorful creature by the claws of each wolf pack, to represent the kind of people Kalona took life from to remind us that dark beings are not there anymore. We call it The Butterfly, and it brings our children good dreams.

MRSK said...
on Oct. 2 2014 at 10:26 am
I loved this story. The research into various Cherokee legends and then the authors own fictional addition was fun and inspiring. Good Job and keep writing, you can only get better!