Continental Congress | Teen Ink

Continental Congress

By EllakGale GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
EllakGale GOLD, Chicago, Illinois

"Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for." -Johnny Depp

To the Continental Congress,

The Patriotic soldiers have held on long enough with this lack of care and consideration. No more shall we shiver as the cold, winter winds blow through the scraps of cloth we call our uniforms. No more shall we lay with a roaring stomach, curled up with nothing to eat at night. No more shall we fear that the British will advance and we will have no guns or bullets to fend them off. No more shall we stay here, without proper pay to feed not only ourselves, but our families. We, the soldiers of this Patriotic War, have been victims of your con.

Not only do we suffer these insufficiencies, but we watch as our officers bask in warm huts, with wine and gourmet meals, with money and weaponry to fight off the Redcoats. Are we such fools to think that our Congress, who we are risking life and limb to keep safe, won’t even bother to supply the men of this cause with proper care, and to have us be shamed in all the glory of our elders? I think not,

You, the people of Congress, should apply yourselves to this cause, you should exceed standards, or surely we will fail. Spare some extra rations of crops, encourage the people supporting us from our homes to supply our men with a pittance every so often. Be leaders, be exemplary mentors, be thoughtful, for if we die, you come down with us. We are your only chance to win freedom, do you honestly want to give that up because you were too avaricious to help your own patriot believers?

If you would please aid our failing soldiers, you are our last hope, our last chance to survive. Remember the power you have to save this war, to turn it around, to gain the advantage. Treat your soldiers with respect, and this feeling of gratitude will surround them and lift their spirits from the gutters. So please, use every endeavor in your power to prevent another man from dying because of lack of proper care. Our confidence is withering, you can bring it back to life.

This is a letter I wrote as a soldier in the American Revolution. I wrote it for my history class and liked it so much that I kept it to publish here.