Sal & Pep: The Boy Along the Tracks | Teen Ink

Sal & Pep: The Boy Along the Tracks

July 7, 2014
By Cailforever21 SILVER, Huntington Beach, California
Cailforever21 SILVER, Huntington Beach, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The constant stream of rushing air for hours upon hours was enough to make Pep’s hair tangle in ways she never thought possible. When she voices this complaint to Sal, he replies by rolling his eyes, grunting, then mumbling “Women.”
“What is that supposed to mean?” Pep snaps as she sits cross-legged, across the train top from Sal.
“You know what it’s suppose to mean.” Sal snaps back. This shuts her up for a time. Soon, the scenery flashing by changes from the fields and forests of Wyoming to scattered buildings, which gradually become denser and denser as the train begins to slow. Sal flattens himself upon the cold metal of the train top, as does Pep.
In the late hours of the afternoon, the train pulls into the station of Evanston, Wyoming and comes to a halt with a slight jerk. Sal and Pep lurch forward several inches over the smooth surface, the girl sliding a little to the left as it happens. Pep tries to regain her positioning, but her foot has already slipped faintly into the view of those on the platform.
Immediately, a loud cry from a woman follows as she points to the noticeable foot hanging over the side of the train. On the platform, several other patrons follow the woman’s finger to catch a glimpse of the tattered sole of a shoe as it is pulled hastily out of their view. A mummer begins to rumble among the gathering crowd below as, above on the train top, Pep turns to Sal, still laying on the train top, with a look of guilt.
“Really?” Sal whispers while glaring at her. Pep chuckles uneasily and forces a cracked smile.
Below on the platform, a train attendant has worked his way through the crowd. He blows his whistle. “Ay, you, come down from there at once!” He commands. Pep glance down at him. He is a robust man in his navy uniform, standing on the platform, pointing at her. Once he sees her face peering down at him, he adds, “This instant!”
Pep pulls herself back out of view, biting her lip with anxiety. She turns back to Sal who faces her with a look of infuriation. “Now, look what you done!” He whispers angrily to her.
“Wasn’t my fault!” Pep whispers, as her brow furrows and she continues to bite her lip.
The train attendant blows his whistle again as the small crowd around him buzzes with curiosity. “I’m warning you! You’re committing a crime!” He yells.
Sal sighs. He begins to shimmy himself towards the opposite edge of the train, away from the platform, on the side where the city of Evanston has yet to develop. “What are you doing?” Pep whispers.
Sal looks at her with squinted eyes. “I don’t want to go back to Detroit! Do you want to go back to… whatever it is you’re from?” He whispers in frustration. In the next instant he is gone, over the side. Pep hears a thud. She shimmies herself over to the edge to gaze down the other side. Sal’s irritated face meets her gaze. “You comin’?” He folds him arm over his chest.
Pep inches herself over the edge, still holding onto the top of the train, when the train attendant peeks underneath the gap from the train to the ground. He see’ Sal’s feet. “Ay, you get back here!” The man yells, his face turning red as he prepares to blow into the whistle once more.
Pep drops over the side, landing unhurt with a thud on the dirt near Sal. “Run!” Sal yells as he begins to sprit off towards the trees, not giving a backwards glance at Pep. The whistle blows again.
Pep looks after her companion, already yards away, from down in the dirt. She stands to dart after the fleeting figure of Sal. The train attendant can only watch from the opposite side of the train as the two run off.
Once in the concealment of the woods, Sal finally slows to a walk, puffing with exertion as he allows Pep to reach him. At his side, through her own panting breath Pep apologizes, averting her eyes in shame towards the ground. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for them to see me.”
“Why do you always find a way to screw up everything?” Sal mutters, keeping his eyes facing forward.
“I said I’m sorry!” Pep yells, facing him. The two stop to glare at each other.
“Sorry doesn’t make up for it!” Sal replies. He continues walking. “I wish I never met you…” He pretends to mutter to himself, though he makes sure it reaches the ears of Pep.
After hearing his words, a look of surprise comes over Pep’s face before it turns to shame. Disheartened, and hurt, Pep trudges after Sal, keeping her head down in disgrace.
About an hour later, after tramping through the woods in an unbroken silence, the pair reaches the tracks of the Union Pacific Line. Sal has his new walking stick in one hand and the briefcase in the other, while Pep holds her knapsack over her shoulder. The woods surrounding them are peaceful; birds chirp in the branches while sunlight streams through the leaves. Instead of over the uneven surface of dead pine leaves and broken sticks, the pair chooses to walk over the tracks. Sal is leading the way, when the sounds of an approaching train are heard in the distance.
Sal ignores the train for a few paces before dismounting the tracks. He continues on alongside the tracks, without a glance behind at Pep. That’s when he hears her shriek of horror. “Help!” She cries.
“Oh, what now?” Sal moans. He continues walking, keeping his face forward.
“Sal!” She screams. “Sal, help! I’m stuck!” Pep screams in horror. The distant sounds of train are no longer that far off.
“I’m not falling for it.” He yells. He keeps his gaze forward.
“No, Sal! I’m serious! My foot’s stuck!” Pep’s cries become more desperate.
Sal has to remind himself of her acting skills. “Only she could get stuck in train tracks?” Sal mumbles. “Quit stalling. I’m not going to fall for it!” Sal shouts. He begins to furrow his brow slightly.
The train’s engine is heard now. It’s loud and rumbling. Disturbing the peace of the woods as it approaches. Pep grimaces and screams again. Sal sighs and finally gives in. He turns to see Pep. She’s lying across the tracks with her left shoe hooked underneath the rail of the tracks. There is a look of desperation in her eyes. The train is seen through the trees now. It flies across the tracks towards her.
Sal begins to run back. He won’t make it in time; he kept walking too far! Suddenly, when all hope seems lost for Pep, out of the trees a figure darts. It dashes toward Pep mere seconds before the train hits. The figure pounces on Pep. It shoves her and itself off the tracks, out the way of the oncoming train as it zooms past.
All Pep felt was the impact of the figure as it saved her, but as the train rushes by, she looks up into green eyes.. There is a look of concern over the pale face of the boy laying on top her. His sandy blonde hair falls down around his face, having lacked a haircut for several months. “Are you alright?” He asks with a melodious voice.
A few seconds pass before Pep recovers enough to reply. “I am now.” She whispers, which produces a dimpled smile from the boy.
“Hey you! Get off her!” Sal finally reaches them. He yanks the body of the boy off Pep. “You got some nerve, buddy!” He yells.
“My apologies,” The boy stammers, off put by Sal. “I just saw from the trees-,”
“You were spying on us!” Sal concludes. Before the boy can open his mouth to explain, Sale grabs him by the collar of his tattered and dirtied shirt.
“Hey!” Pep screams, as she gets up from the ground to push Sal off the boy. Pep yells, “He just saved my life! Show appreciation!”
Sal looks at Pep, surprised. She narrows her eyes at him and crosses her arms. Sal rolls his eyes and sighs before muttering, “Thanks.”
Satisfied, Pep smiles, turning from Sal to the boy. She kisses the boy on the cheek and says sweetly, “You saved my life. How can I ever repay you?”
The boy smiles at her then quickly glances over at Sal, a glint of smugness in his eyes. Sal narrows his eyes at the boy. “You can tell me your name.” The boy offers, turning back to Pep.
She smiles, but as she opens her mouth to speak Sal shouts rudely, “And you can tell us what you are doing out here!” Sal steps between Pep and the boy. The boy takes a step back, his eyebrows flying up in surprise as Pep frowns.
She grunts and pushes Sal out of the way. Recovering herself, she says kindly, “My name’s Patricia, but you can call me Pep.”
The boy takes a step nearer. “Pep,” He tries the name out for himself. “I’m Billy.” He smiles as he offers to shake Pep’s hand. She accepts.
Sal interrupts their moment again. “That’s nice.” He mumbles sarcastically. “Now you would mind telling us why you are out here, Billy?” He sneers.
“Me and my sis are running away.” Billy replies.
“From what?” Sal snaps.
“Our uncle. He’s a horrible man. So we’re going to Salt Lake City, that’s where our grandparents are.” Billy explains.
“Nice story. Now, what’s the truth? You workin’ for the law? Or maybe you’re thieving travelers?” Sal interrogates, with a tight gaze on the boy.
“No, that’s the truth.”
“No it ain’t.”
“Yes it is.”
Sal opens his mouth to continue protesting, but Pep silences him. “You have a sister?!”
“Yeah, she’s over by our camp. You wanna come?”
“No.” Sal mutters.
“Yes!” Pep exclaims.
Billy gestures for them to follow as he leads the reluctant Sal and excited Pep into the woods on the other side of the tracks. They follow behind Billy through the maze of pine trees and over the exposed roots. A few minutes into their hike Sal catches Pep by the arm.
“Was your foot really stuck?” Sal whispers into Pep’s ear.
Pep smiles at him, mischievously; the setting sun through the trees illuminates her features. She replies in a sweet voice, laced with mockery. “Why Sal, do you take me for a liar?”
Sal narrows his gaze at her. He opens his mouth to comment when he is taped on the shoulder from behind. Sal whirls around to come face to face with a girl. She has sandy blonde hair, green eyes, and the same dimples as Billy. Sal stares in awe. “Hi,” She says with a gleaming smile. “I’m Hazel.”
“Hi, I’m Sal.” He says with wide eyes. The girl giggles, much like that of Pep. Sal smiles as if in a daze. Pep sees the look upon Sal’s face and frowns.