Paleo Indian | Teen Ink

Paleo Indian

By Grace_V SILVER, Durham, North Carolina
Grace_V SILVER, Durham, North Carolina

Life will always throw you curves, just keep fouling them off ... the right pitch will come, but when it does, be prepared to run the bases.

Waking up to the birds chirping at first daylight in the cool brisk morning on a sun shiny day. Laying on my deer skin bed in a cave on the side of a mountain in what will become North Carolina. I quickly get ready for my day of picking berries and avoiding mammoths. I walk out the cave dressed out in deer skin cloths and a basket I made yesterday. As I search through the woods for the right berries, not the ones my friend ate last week because now she gone. I finally find a bush of blueberries and start picking for my large family of about 20 members, me being my parents only daughter with one older brother. My brother hunts all day with the men in my family as for me I pick fruit and nuts.
As I start picking the berries I hear a cry for help. It sounds like some of my kin folk, I look around the corner and they are fleeing from one giant saber tooth tiger. They scream and the one still holding spears throw them. The saber finally catches one of the slowest family members. As I sit there watching him get ripped apart piece by piece the others get away. The saber drags the dismembered pieces away. This is not unusual I have seen this happen before.
Walking back to the cave I saw smoke coming from it. I noticed the flames went out and now I have to suspect the worst, a whole bunch of snakes got into the cave and now we can’t leave in that cave unless someone chases the snakes out. So I started making new beds with animal skin my family just brought in from the morning hunt. Then I made a tent to keep animals out of our space if they got past the fire.
I started cooking the deer meat my family killed this morning. I took it and seasoned it with herbs I picked yesterday. I got by brother to cut down a tree for so I could have wood to use. I quickly got a flame going and started cooking some deer meat. It would be done by the time the sun went down. I had made a meal fit for my whole family and extra so that some could go night fishing for breakfast which my mom would cook for everybody.
My day is almost over. There will be a ceremony for the death of my uncle. We sacrificed the meat he killed in honor of him. My entire family stayed up and painted each other. My culture does not want any bad spirits to haunt us so we had to do this in order for there to be no bad spirits lingering around. And now my day is done and I go to my new tent and newly made bed in a different cave.