The Good King | Teen Ink

The Good King

By GeekyVIP BRONZE, East Orange, New Jersey
GeekyVIP BRONZE, East Orange, New Jersey

The problem with perfectionists is that they expect everyone around them to be perfect.

Fearlessness-doing stupid things under the guise of bravery.

The biggest mistake is trying to predict the future by looking back at the past.

“My King you cannot be serious!”

“He has stolen from the very people that we, sitting in this room, each and everyday try to protect!”

“This is treachery of the highest degree sire!”

“The people will never respect a king who has let his own prime minister disrespect him to such a degree!”

“Children go to sleep hungry and ill-clothed because of his greed!”

“Death! Death is the only option!”

“Execute him in front of the people! Let them see their pain hung before them!”

The room boiled with shouts of outrage and dissent from seat after seat at the round table. Well, every seat but one. Godfrey looked upon the gray strands of hair upon the man’s head, down his ivory green robes that sat with a confidence and air that Godfrey had found comfort in during the early days of his reign. Some time between those glorious times of prosperity and these bleak days he’d turned from asking him about every problem the kingdom faced to his silence in every meeting. Godfrey’s deep warm eyes finally found the graying man’s green wisdom filled across the room. One look and Godfrey suddenly remembered why he had always trusted these eyes so much in his youth, they spoke of a wisdom that could only be found after years of experience.

Godfrey looked above the large wooden table that seated his council and himself over toward the empty seat to his right. Baratheon, he thought with a silent sigh. He looked then upward toward the stain glass mural that made the ceiling of the room. In the vibrant shades of green and blue he sought out the pale baby wrapped in a loving mothers arms. He sought the Lord, he sought him above all else literally and symbolically as he had always done. He looked and asked his father in heaven, “Where Lord, did I go wrong?”
He thought back over all of the orders he had signed at the insistence of Baratheon. They all seemed like good ideas at the time, so logical and sound. Time and time again he had been shocked that he hadn’t thought of the ideas himself. The growth of his borders seemed to mask the suffering of his people with each the borders expanded. He could never blame Baratheon though. No matter what his friend had suggested it was he who allowed it. His signature that allowed every pound to fill Baratheon’s pockets and not those of his people. He was the one who had placed too much faith in his dear friend to cover all the bases. He wanted to weep but he allowed his gaze to steady on the eyes of his lord and dry, he did not deserve tears. He looked back toward the wise man with eyes that knew the world and found strength.
Godfrey cleared his throat and the councils roars began to calm. He looked across the table into each pair of eyes as he spoke clearly to each member of the council.
“Baratheon will not see the light of day-”
“As it should be!” came a howl from most of the table.
Godfrey lifted his hand and waited for silence to descend upon the room again before speaking. “...in this kingdom again as long as he lives-” the howls of delight that once filled the room turned to ones of distaste and dissention.
He raised his hand into the air sharply yet again. “I hear your calls for death and I understand why you call so, but I must ask you to see why I cannot agree. By condemning Baratheon to death I would have to do the same to myself and I would do just that if it weren't for my dearest Clair and this kingdom who needs to see a familiar king working to fix what he has broken,” Godfrey inhaled deeply and clutched the golden cross that hung from his neck before continuing. “I was the one who allowed the treachery to take place and whether or not it was shameful it has already taken place. Now we only have the option to rebuild the way this nation runs with the people as our number one priority. We must earn back their love that I have disgracefully lost for this kingdom more than anyone else.”
Murmurs now filled the room but more content pondering ones this time. Godfrey exited the room with one last look at the green eyes of wisdom of his youth one last time before descending down the halls toward Baratheon…

“Baratheon!” the king exclaimed.

“Yes, my lord,” the prime-, the former prime minister called back.

“Do you not know what a fool you've made me look?”

“A fool?” Baratheon meekly inquired, and it was not until a curve tugged at the corners of his lips that Godfrey was aware of his foolery. “Yes, I've heard the screams of 'Death!' and 'Treason!' and 'Treachery!' my king. If anything I've made myself look like a fool.” Baratheon turned his back to the king as Godfrey drew closer.

“Baratheon, do you not fathom the entire extremity of harm and grief that you've caused my kingdom? Please, my brother, you must-”

“Your brother!” Baratheon stood face-to-face with the king, shoulder-to-shoulder. “You've called me your brother after everything they've said about me? And what have you decided, oh great king,” he scornfully jested, “that my hairs of my neck will be ample enough food for the swinging sword, or maybe that a rope cast around my neck is humiliating enough! Yes, I have humiliated you, as well as myself. I cannot walk the halls without a look as if somebody is trying to murder me, even less-so in town where all the commoners view me with scorn and disdain! What about you? Clair? She is a sister to me, and I a brother to her. How do you expect the guilt to pass over your head?”

“That is enough, Baratheon,” tears began to fill Godfrey's eyes as he came to the realization of his kingly duties. “I spoken on my position to the counsel, and as a good king I must keep my word. I shall see to it that you will never see the light of day in this kingdom again.”

Baratheon sat on his stool, his destiny sinking in. He cradled his head with his hands and sighed deeply, not seeing the true meaning behind the king's words. “Call your guards, then. Let them escort my foolishness through the halls. But no, you will not do that, will you Godfrey? King Godfrey, I mean. You will escort me yourself.” Godfrey's sudden advance, confirmed Baratheon's cries.

“Hush, Baratheon,” Godfrey said as he grabbed his arm.

“Just imagine, the most gracious, noble, and trustworthy human being known to man, my king, my friend, my brother, my arm in his grasp, escorting me to my death! That's what the guards are for, dear king! Guards, guards!” Baratheon yelled jokingly through the hallways as the king swiftly pushed him to the lower levels. His thoughts and body disoriented and frazzled as they descended a winding staircase, leading to an obscured tunnel. Silence enveloped the atmosphere, as well as darkness. Almost an hour had elapsed, and Baratheon's dilated pupils were welcomed with rays of sunshine to his utmost shock and surprise. His arm remained limp in Godfrey’s palm though. As if synchronized the men stood face-to-face, seconds from bidding his farewell address. Formally, he states, “Baratheon, my willing servant, my friend, my brother, I would have never conjured this untimely departure, but it is necessary that it ends this way, for my peace of mind, and your solace in avoiding death. I hereby, banish you from my kingdom and for you to never return. I wish you the best, now be gone.”

Be gone, Baratheon thought as he began to trek up the road to civilization. He had never seen the main road before. He had always resided in the kingdom with Godfrey and his royal family ever since his early youth. A shadow I was to him. Baratheon began to see the blessing he bestowed upon him. His life was spared after all, but Godfrey was king. How could he allow his council to dictate his decisions? Even more-so when his family is involved. The more miles that Baratheon covered across the countryside, the more he grew self-conscious of his circumstances. Betrayal and defeat consumed his being.
One day while wandering in the wilderness, a fair maiden brushed past him, causing him to jump. Curious, he began to follow the marsh green cloak attentively. “You there,” Baratheon called to her. The lady continued on her way. Once able to fall in step which her, she moved even more swiftly. Soon, they were sauntering into the forest. Subsequently, he began to jog after her and then yank her cloak off. Unbeknownst to him she had a sword. A drawn sword that was positioned in between his eyes. They stared at each other perplexed but studying each other’s stance. “I am not here to fight,” Baratheon cried.
“Then why are you following me?” she asked, maintaining her defensive stance. Baratheon admired her demeanor and was hoping that his courage appealed to her.
“I know you, you seem all too familiar to me…”
“I am shocked and insulted that you did not realize it before, Baratheon, my brother.”
“Clair! I never thought-“
“That I’d see you out of my father’s kingdom, which leads me to ask, are you spying on my kingdom?”
“Of course not, m’lady. On the other hand, I am seeking refuge, a haven. My people believe me to be dead. Your father has banished me.”
Clair was shocked. She lowered her sword and mused, “King Godfrey, my father, has banished you? For what crime?”
“Unfortunately, not for stealing your heart.” Baratheon took Clair’s hand kissed it gently, as if it were the most delicate thing in the world. Clair turned from him, but not brusquely, and headed back towards the palace. Baratheon followed her closely, but not close enough for either of their liking. Clair’s husband the king was speaking with his council regarding the weakening state of Godfrey’s kingdom, and Clair made sure to emphasize that fact while Baratheon’s lips trailed down her neck, commencing the first liaison of many.
*****
“My good people, today has been a day of misfortunes. Due to invariable meetings with my court, as well as my council, we have made a very grief-stricken decision to execute our own. Earlier this day, our dear friend Baratheon, has left us. It is my duty to inform my kingdom of this melancholy event. Hopefully all of you will understand that this was a decision made for the greater good of the kingdom and its people.”
“He was not our own!”
“That thief deserved a public execution!”
“I would give everything to take his head off myself!”
“He deserved to be fed to the dogs!”
The cries of the commoners occupied the lands as Godfrey spoke of Baratheon so lovingly and in such a dignified manner. Godfrey wondered if he had ultimately made the right decision in his affairs with Baratheon. Baratheon was a cunning man, but out in the wilderness, what power could he gain? What plot could he concoct? Either way, Godfrey had done his duty a good king. His conscious bothered him none and he had saved a man’s life. What was there to worry about?
*****

“Is there any word on the new ruler of the northern kingdom?”

“Your daughter Clair is not a widow any longer, I believe. The king left the kingdom to her, and I can only assume that whomever she marries will be prince consort.”

“Invite her to the feast. I hate that my daughter must be an enemy to us so I shall attempt to make her an ally. The northern rulers have always targeted us because to them we are weak, and sadly the turn of events that have plagued us in the past years have proven their superiority. In order to mend these ties, I shall seek amends with Clair. Invite her, invite her husband as well. I am utterly curious to see who she would have married so swiftly…”
*****
“Have they arrived as of yet?”
“I have not seen them...wait, there! Your daughter has arrived.”
Clair walked in, her head held high as ever in a beautiful gold and red dress. Godfrey held his hand out to her, and she took it, and they walked up to the podium as he prepared to introduce her. The king was in such a celebratory mood, ready to happily bask in the glory of the newfound alliance. Or so he thought. “My dear people, I would like to introduce the queen of the north, my daughter, Clair...oh silly me, I haven’t even inquired as to her new surname. Where are my manners? Clair, the wife of-”
“Baratheon.” Gasps filled the air as the condemned one, Baratheon, strolled towards the podium to take the hand of his wife alongside his father-in-law. “Wife of Baratheon.” The attention of the crowd was cast towards the podium, but luckily, the attention was not on the lovely couple, but Godfrey himself. The court’s expression is full of shock and it is apparent that everyone is appalled. "What is wrong? It looks as if everyone has seen a ghost."
“Why is this blasphemy breathing?” one man shouted.
“He was supposed to be executed!” another chimed in.
“Our own king betrayed us?” a woman declared.
“You ungrateful peasant, how dare you?” Godfrey retorted at Baratheon.
“You shall blame yourself, my king!” Baratheon decreed.
“Rightfully so. You had the power to do away with him, father, but out of the kindness of your heart you let him live.” Clair stated, but before the crowds could advance towards Godfrey, Baratheon yells, “Wait!
"You have paid me a merciful honor by letting me live. Myself, a liar, a thief, an extortionist, was allowed to live after cheating the kingdom. You king, Godfrey, allowed me a chance to become a changed man. And here I am, pouring my heart out to you people, beseeching you for forgiveness. I am bringing you the true Baratheon. The transformed Baratheon. To solidify my deepest and sincerest apologies, my beautiful wife, Clair and I are going to replenish all funds lost on my account, even twofold."
"How dare you, Baratheon," Godfrey began, "you betray this kingdom, you betray this people, and you seek forgiveness! How could you? Clair, my one and only, my firstborn. What would your mother think?"
"My mother would not have been untruthful, king."
"What am I to do now?" Godfrey asked. "I invited you out of goodwill."
"Why don't you ask your council?"
The council! Oh dear, Godfrey thought. "Councilman Pi-"
"Hush, Godfrey. This kingdom has suffered from your naiveté for far too long. The council and I have discussed this at length. You are to be impeached. Immediately. Guards, arrest him!"
"Councilmen you cannot do this! Clair! Baratheon, my brother, why must you turn my kingdom against me?" he cried. "Must I even be escorted to a death similar to the one I helped you avoid?"
"No, you shall not. Guards, wait. I believe death is too practical for his actions. Councilmen, I propose he suffer for his sins in the depths of the kingdom. In the torture chamber.” Baratheon states.
*****
Godfrey was never seen again. After that fateful moment it was time for Baratheon to claim what was rightfully his, the kingdom by means of his beloved wife Clair. Before Baratheon could take the throne it was his duty to address his people. “My good people today has been a day of misfortunes. Due to invariable meetings with my court and council, we have made a very grief-stricken decision to execute our own. Earlier this day our dear friend Godfrey, has left us. It is my duty to inform my kingdom of this melancholy event. Hopefully all of you will understand that this was a decision made for the greater good of the kingdom and its people”.

This was a collaborative project between Kamari M, Sabreen M and myself for a school assignment but it turned out so well I decided to post it and see what kind of feedback(if any) it would get.