Riot and disorder in Verona | Teen Ink

Riot and disorder in Verona

By choc2013 GOLD, Slough, Other
choc2013 GOLD, Slough, Other

"I am selfish. I am brave. I am Divergent."

In the fair town of Verona, peace was not kept for long as outbreaks of sheer violence between the Montagues and Capulets broke out in the local streets, early in the morning, at sunrise. Rapidly becoming a regular occurrence of violence, I'm confident in saying that I am not the only citizen growing increasingly worried!
Local citizen, Elizabeth Lawrence, endured the disturbing outbreak and this is what she had to say: "The atmosphere was tense and the servants of the two households were shouting insults at each other. The Prince could have, of course done more to stop the fight occurring again. All he did was enforce his opinion. He didn't actually do anything to stop the fight!" Many citizens also mirrored this opinion of the Prince's actions.
The Verona Times did an exclusive interview with the Prince himself on this matter; We asked him what he did exactly to stop the fight and if he had done enough. (The citizens certainly thought not!)
"I told them to calm down and stop the petty fight", he said. "There wasn't much else to be done. What could an outsider do to stop such an ancient grudge?"
So what was the 'ancient grudge' that seemed to have caused this catastrophic and continuous chaos? It's common knowledge that the Montagues and Capulets have a harsh rivalry but no past records show why it all began, making the quarrel seem extremely insignificant to the eyes of the outsiders. However, this doesn't mean that the Prince should have done nothing as he had the power to warn them that any future reoccurrences could result in dire consequences; a hearing in front of the law. Peace in Verona has been heavily disrupted by the personal mutiny.
From all the disorder, it is the local citizens' peace that is being affected, therefore, I think, their opinion of further action should be taken into account. Don't you agree?

The Verona Times

This is a modern version of a newspaper article on Act 1 Scene 1 of Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet', talking about the feud and the 'ancient grudge'.