The Mind of a Man | Teen Ink

The Mind of a Man

September 7, 2013
By KaleJoshuaa SILVER, Ashland, Kansas
KaleJoshuaa SILVER, Ashland, Kansas
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"A fellow ought to shine on."


To be the man who held the most brilliant idea inside his head, sharing it with the world would be more than important. In a time of financial woes and tensions though, finding a way to market this idea would be the mind of the wallet, to make money. Once you give yourself that mindset, you have stepped into the thought process of Nathaniel Dominick. Once inside, you may view from his eyes, the world of Nathaniel Dominick.


The idea came to him in the midst of a dream, and as he startled to the point of awakening, he quickly rose from his bed of cheap springs and threw off his only blanket. He stared around his room, detailing all of his possessions, detailing that he had not many at all. As he gazed blindly in his pitch black room, he knew his idea would turn his room into more than just a bed, cabinet, and clothes. It would turn his house into a mansion, and it would be moved from the Bronx to a quiet hillside near a spring. "This idea will turn my life around" said Nathaniel, who spoke softly to himself, as not to wake up his family. He was aware that it was still the wee hours of the night, and that even though he would be far too giddy to return to slumber, he had to wait until daytime to tell his family of the marvelous plan.

It was not until eight o' clock that he heard his mother making breakfast for the oldest man in the house as he prepared for the daily grind of a negro factory worker. The boy silently rushed in and hugged his mother from behind, "Momma, good morning! Last night I had the most wonderful idea and, and and, aan.." "Slow down, son. You know you start a' stutterin' just like your daddy does when ya get all excited." "Sorry ma, you're right." Nathaniel paused to catch himself as his mother cracked the eggs. "Okay, momma. I'm ready to tell you my idea." "Then go on, little one. I need to cook." "Ma, I'm nineteen now, and I'm not your little one anymore" retorted Nathaniel. "Don't give me any lip, boy. You'll always be momma's little boy. Now go on!" "Okay.." He paused to accept the fact that it would still be some time until his mother would see him as an adult. "My idea, momma, is the smartest business idea you ever heard! I know I could sell it or somethin', and make enough money to help pay of the deabt, momma. Then, I would buy us a brand new house, big enough for everyone to live in it with their own room, and even a bathroom for each person! Then, we would.." "Good morning, Martha! Good morning, Nathaniel!" interrupted Samuel, the father of Nathaniel, but not biologically. Samuel and Martha tried to hide it from Nathaniel, but he had found out when he was seventeen. After that, he did not really trust Samuel. "Morning, Sammy!" a name which only she would call him. "Your son has the best idea ever, and he was gettin' ready to tell me it! Sit down and listen while we eat breakfast." "No" whispered Nathaniel. "But Nate, tell your dad." Now would be a time to tell you two things. Nathaniel was his father's name, and his mother called him Nate. It was from that fact that his hatred grew for the shortened version of his name. Secondly, ever since uncovering the truth behind his real dad, he refused to call Samuel "dad", or be called Samuel's "son". "I forgot it.. It was just a stupid dream." "But Natha" "Martha, the boy said it was just a dream. Ain't no use in hearing it." interrupted Samuel. No one spoke after that. It was a silent breakfast between the three of them.

After Samuel left for work, Nathaniel knew what he was going to do. He was going to pack up what little he had in a rummy sack, and leave for the business district. He would run away and sell his idea, then take the money back home and provide for his family. He quickly jammed his everyday clothes into the sack, but made sure to be extremely careful when packing up his Sunday best. He knew they would be the clothes he would wear when meeting with a company, since it was the only suit he had. He was taking a risk in his mind, after hearing of all the terrible things which happened in the inner city, as told by his eldest brother Damarius. He also knew that it was a risk worth taking. Anything and everything is what he would do if it could bring happiness to his family. That night, he wrote a note to his mother, even though he knew he could not write very well and that his mother could not read. "The thought is what counts" said Nathaniel to himself. Right after he set the small piece of paper on his bed, he took off for the night, ready to make it big.

After getting into the city lights, he quickly found a safe spot and fell asleep. He had walked for at least half an hour. He rose with the sun though, knowing that if he did not, he would get robbed. After searching for fifteen minutes, he found a gentle stream in which to bath in. The boy took a quick scrub, and put on his suit, hoping to look as wonderful as his ideas were. Now would be a time to say that this time in history was a time in which suits were not fashionable when they were "slim fit". In these days, suits were not supposed to fit snug, but his was a second hand suit, and thus it was a tight fit. Once he thought he was presentable, he set off in his strut which was unique to him. No one ever pointed it out to him, but many people noticed he walked with more confidence than most. Even if he was not certain in himself, his walk showed his confidence in his idea. "This is the day. You can do it, Nathaniel" repeated the boy over and over again in his head. Soon enough, he made it to the largest building he had ever seen. Nathaniel walked in and proclaimed "I have an idea which could make you money. I need to speak to.." "Sir," said the desk intern, "I need to tell you two things. A. You have to make an appointment for that. B. Mr. Coul, the CEO of this company, does not speak to Negros such as yourself." But this would not be the only time he would hear words similar to what he just heard. In fact, almost every business told him that. It was completely dark by the time he got his last answer of the day. Now, he was stuck in the city district with only a rummy sack of clothes and an idea. "How am I going to make it in this city? What was I thinking?.." If you were to run into Nathaniel Dominick right now, you would think he was getting ready to give up on everything, but no one was near him. Nathaniel quickly grew tired though, and thus it was time for him to fall asleep.

When Nathaniel awoke, it was more than bright outside. He knew he had slept in for later than safety allowed, and was certain that he had been robbed. Afraid to open his eyes and gaze upon the sight of having everything stolen, he knew he still had to look. Blinded at first by the light, he slowly gained his sight back. He was amazed to see all of his things in place. Truth be told, his clothes looked more clean, folded, and ready than he remembered. He praised the Lord in that solemn moment, and set out for his day. He knew this day would be different. It had to be, or at least that is what he told himself as he walked on in that signature walk. While his ego was slightly bruised from the day that had past, he was still set on his idea and still ready to make his dream come true.

He set out for the day with just as much hope as before, but as the day went on, his morale started to plunge deeper and deeper with every new person turning him down. He searched all over the town for just one person to listen to his idea, but the sun was going down. Against the reflection of tall skyscrapers and construction zones, the city looked yellow in the eyes of Nathaniel Dominick. His perfect form of posture had turned into a slouch, and his upbeat step had become a young man dragging himself across the pavement, fighting to stay on two feet to continue his journey. Even with all of these physical struggles of exhaustion and starvation, it was not match for the emotional battle which was taking place inside Nathaniel. "You'll never make it anywhere in life! You're nothing but a worthless, trashy n*****!" The memories of being a young bullied African American child flooded his every thoughts, but his heart would not give in. He was determined to make his mother happy, his stepfather proud, and his real dad wish he had never left. He would accomplish his goals.

Nathaniel did stay true to himself. He continued his struggle for an entire month. Thirty more days of constantly being rejected, let down, and being reminded that he was never good enough. During this month, he was able to find a soup kitchen where he could stay at night, as well as becoming friends with the family that owned and operated it. As he watched people come and go, he slowly started to long for his family. He missed them more than anything in the world, but he would not stop until his idea was sold.

After one more week of constant failures, he went up to his room in the soup kitchen. As soon as the door was shut behind him, he proceeded to weep. Deeply, the boy sobbed, trying to suppress all noise from escaping his mouth, but he could not hold everything in. The woman from the soup kitchen came up to his room and knocked. He tried to hold his tears back when sputtering "Come in" but she already knew. "Nathaniel, you must go back to your family. They miss you, and you miss them. You need to be with them." "I can't! I need to make this money for my family to be happy! It's the.." "Stop. I am a mother and I know what is best. You leave in the morning." interrupted the woman. "Fine" sulked Nathaniel as she left the room. He knew he would have to depart in the morning, but for now he would continue to cry.

As he walked the journey back to where our story began, it felt oddly longer to Nathaniel. It gave him time to meditate about the past thirty-nine days that had transpired. He tried to push those thoughts away by thinking about his idea, but he found himself incapable of using that thought to cancel out the others. Nathaniel labeled it as being too emotional at the moment and continued walking, even though his once unique strut had been weighed down by failure. "I almost broke that window playing street ball" recalled the young man who was longing for his childhood. The familiar setting let him know that he was close to home. He broke into a sprint when he viewed his house one block away. It was not long before Nathaniel was right in front of the door which opened to his own home. After catching his breath, he busted into the abode. "Mom! I've returned!" screamed Nathaniel, just as if he was a little boy again. "Oh, Nathaniel! I've missed you so much! Come give your mother a hug" said his loving mother, and with arms wide open, they embraced and wept together. "Tell me why you left, Nate." "Well, Ma..."

After explaining fully why he left, his mother had but one thing to say. "Son," she began. "You make me happy juss' by bein' here with me." With a face covered by tears, Nathaniel was silent, but began to sob harder. His mother fell silent as well for a moment, and the two embraced as if he had been gone for more than a year. When they let go, she asked a quiet Nathaniel what his idea was. He remained silent. She moved on from her thought and squeezed the boy while proclaiming "Never scare me like that again, okay?" but all that could run through Nathaniel's mind was the realization that he had forgotten the idea.

You may now step out of the mind of Nathaniel Dominick. Remember that money cannot make you happy. Only love can do that.