History in the Making | Teen Ink

History in the Making

April 20, 2013
By Matthew Bloom BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
Matthew Bloom BRONZE, Solon, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Reporter: Hello and welcome back to the six o’clock news. With tensions still high between the USA and the USSR we shortly shift gears to the local news. Earlier today off the coast of New York, a small team of fisherman caught what they believe is the largest great white shark ever caught to date. For on the scene coverage, we now welcome in John Smith who is on the scene.

John Smith: Thank you. I’m standing here with Frank Bloom, a member of the team who managed to real in what could quite possibly be the biggest great white shark ever caught. Frank how was it out there today, you must be exhausted:

Frank Bloom: Well the beast put up a strong fight today. When you factor in the rough seas, it’s a miracle that the shark never jumped off the line.

John Smith: so how do you go about reeling in such a behemoth?

Frank Bloom: Well, in our initial attempts to slow down the thrashing of the shark, we lunched as many harpoons into it as possible. When the shark continued thrashing, we were forced to shoot the shark with seven or eight rounds to the head.

John Smith: Well, it certainly sounds like you partook in quite a battle. We now shift focus back to studio and will return later when we have confirmation of the size of the shark.

Reporter: Thank you John, that was some fine reporting… we are now receiving confirmation that the shark caught this morning breaks the previously held record for a great white shark, coming in at just over 16 feet in length. That, ladies and gents, will earn the crew a spot in the next edition of the book of world records. Thanks for making all of Long Island proud men, fine work.


The author's comments:
This is a fictional account of an actual event. My grandfather, along with a fishing crew, caught a great white shark of the coast of Long Island. The shark broke local records and earned my grandfather a place in the Guinness Book of World Records